Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 06:02 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,485,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
Personally, I see a man who has kept basically "none" of his promises and a man who "flip flops" on issues and "panders" to the weaker portion of this country which consequently makes up the larger portion of our citizenry.
Well, let's see. He promised to pass Ledbetter and S-CHIP (twice vetoed by Bush). Check. He promised to reverse the Global Gag Rule and stem cell research restrictions. Check. He promised to push up the withdrawal from Iraq and focus instead on the real war in Af/Pak. Check. He promised to ban the use of torture. Check. He promised to work with allies and to be willing to talk with others. Check. He promised to deliver health care reform even though everyone who had tried it in a hundred years had failed. Stay tuned -- almost check. He promised to get us headed toward green energy alternatives and greater energy independence. Check. He promised to tighten restrictions on lobbyists. Check (he even pushed Congress to open up on earmarks, which they have done). He promised to close Gitmo within a year. In progress (You can start to complain on January 23). He promised to improve veterans health benefits. Check. When the economic collapse hit the fan, he promised a strong stimulus to aid the most affected, save and create jobs, and help restore our infrastructure. Check. He promised to work internationally to help restabilize the global financial system. Check. And he promised to review and tighten oversight and regulation of the financial industry. In progress.

Looks to me like signficantly more than "basically none".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
The masses except your devastating policies with a smile and a high five, cause you are just such a cool dude.
Free-floating adjective alert! Can you explain what has been "devastating" about any policy at all???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2009, 06:03 AM

1,275 posts, read 3,416,880 times
Hey, I'm not too proud to admit I'm confused. I have always supported Obama but this health care fiasco has left me disillusioned. I agree Rome wasn't born in a day and that it is going to take way more than a yr to fix the disasterous consequences of 8 yrs of Bush and Co. However, this health care issue has become a nightmare. Where is the help for the MILLIONS without adequate health care? No public option and now I hear they cut out the availability of cheaper drugs and that, according to Dean, everyone will have to carry private insurance? Are you kidding me? Another thing, I really really fear for this country because most ppl are not patient and we all know how the neo-cons feel, so I fear that if something big doesn't happen soon the Dems will be voted out and the right-wingers will fill that void.

Old 12-17-2009, 06:06 AM

1 posts, read 888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puglywump View Post
I ask this as a liberal. I feel betrayed and sold down the river. I think he has thrown his base under the bus. I really believed in him and now look where we are at. What is most disappointing is his silence over this whole healthcare reform. Sure, he delivers speeches saying he didn't assume the job of POTUS to serve fat cats...just who he is serving?

It's not Joe six pack whose house has been foreclosed. It's not the 45 million uninsured. Etc.

Ok, this thread is designed to serve as a support thread for liberals, not as a platform for conservatives to say "We told you so." Nonetheless, I bet not a lot of support will be forthcoming in this thread. There will be the defenders and the critics, to be sure.
I think obama sold us all a bag of goods, OR pelosi is running her liberal agenda to the hilt, either way, it is a disaster.

Old 12-17-2009, 06:09 AM

13,285 posts, read 15,312,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puglywump View Post
I ask this as a liberal. I feel betrayed and sold down the river. I think he has thrown his base under the bus. I really believed in him and now look where we are at. What is most disappointing is his silence over this whole healthcare reform. Sure, he delivers speeches saying he didn't assume the job of POTUS to serve fat cats...just who he is serving?

It's not Joe six pack whose house has been foreclosed. It's not the 45 million uninsured. Etc.

Ok, this thread is designed to serve as a support thread for liberals, not as a platform for conservatives to say "We told you so." Nonetheless, I bet not a lot of support will be forthcoming in this thread. There will be the defenders and the critics, to be sure.
People are surprised that a member of The Status Quo Party Exhibit B isn't making any changes? Shocking!

Old 12-17-2009, 06:38 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,485,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilred0005 View Post
However, this health care issue has become a nightmare. Where is the help for the MILLIONS without adequate health care? No public option and now I hear they cut out the availability of cheaper drugs and that, according to Dean, everyone will have to carry private insurance? Are you kidding me?
Hold your horses. To drive from New York to California, you have to go through either New Jersey or Pennsylvania. You can only get what you can pass, and since Republicans care little enough about America to have put themselves in permanent NO-mode, you've got to get the all of the Democrats and Independents in the Senate on the same page. That will happen, but then you have to do it again next month. We'll see. Nobody has ever been this far down the road before, but the chances of at least getting to Pittsburgh are looking pretty good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilred0005 View Post
Another thing, I really really fear for this country because most ppl are not patient and we all know how the neo-cons feel, so I fear that if something big doesn't happen soon the Dems will be voted out and the right-wingers will fill that void.
Remember that the neocons are far more noisy than numerous. Remember that you don't have to live with anything as the result of what you say to some pollster. Remember that the candidates in polls today are "generic Republicans". For the actual campaign, they will have to nominate actual people. These will be some mix of right-wing extremists who will be rejected by everybody and RINO's who will be rejected (and very likely attacked) by the right-wing for failing to pass their Purity Test. You think Democrats are a contentious lot? Wait till you see some of these Tea Party turkeys get riled up!!!

Old 12-17-2009, 10:18 AM

59,111 posts, read 27,340,319 times
"I think he's tried too hard to compromise with the right on health care".

I think you have read nothing on this subject. The republicans have been shut out since day one on this issue.The bill was written behind closed doors with NO republican input. nancy P would'nt even let the repubs offer ammendments to the dem bill.

Old 12-17-2009, 01:41 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,452,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langlen View Post
This. I'm not disappointed, because I didn't expect anything of Obama to begin with.

I did not vote for him, but even then, he made everything sound too dang good, and his talk about Change every chance he got, I knew he would be no different then any other President, after elected they all change. My democratic friends who did vote for him, ahhhhhhhhhhh so disinchanted with him now, they are not happy campers at all. He just made it all sound so simple, and made too many promises, he cannot possibly keep.

Old 12-17-2009, 01:47 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,541,100 times
Sorry to disappoint you but I am still very happy with Obama.

Bush and the anti-healthcare (ie anti-American) Republican Congress are my disappointments

Old 12-17-2009, 08:46 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,711,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
I did not vote for him, but even then, he made everything sound too dang good, and his talk about Change every chance he got, I knew he would be no different then any other President, after elected they all change. My democratic friends who did vote for him, ahhhhhhhhhhh so disinchanted with him now, they are not happy campers at all. He just made it all sound so simple, and made too many promises, he cannot possibly keep.
Well, you're a conservative so of course you're going to not like Obama. Nevertheless, he's taken us in an entirely different direction than the chaos and misery we suffered through for the past 8 years of mistakes we saw coming years in advance.

Anyone who's disenchanted with him has no clue how our political system works. They have no clue that the president is not a dictator. He is one branch that must find compromise with two houses of Congress.

People expected a miracle worker and instead got a guy who has restructured our military action to focus on the original goal, has pulled the global economy back from collapse, has pushed through the biggest health care reform ... ever, has opened up stem cell research, has extended diplomacy into places no American leader has ever ventured before, and many other campaign promises that he made.

Come to think of it, maybe the guy is a miracle worker...

Old 12-18-2009, 07:56 AM

5,165 posts, read 6,055,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
All I'm disappointed in are the Republicans. They lost big time, but were extended every chance to have their role and say anyway, and they went off with Limbaugh and Beck instead. They had their big "Listening Tour" last Spring and came to the conclusion that they didn't really have any policies that fit the 21st century, so they've just gone into 24/7 whine-and-scream mode ever since. This is a supposedly national political party, and all they've managed to come up with is You Lie!, budgets without numbers, and faux health care proposals that don't insure anybody and still cost more than the Democratic plans. This is what looks on TV to be a group of grown adults behaving like a bunch of pre-schoolers with their feelings hurt. What's the point in even keeping them around anymore...
It is the minority Republicans that are preventing the 60 votes needed for healthcare reform?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies