Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2009, 02:35 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,725,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
I am more appaled at those of you who think it's more important for the poor to hear a sermon about some made up religious figure than just give the people a freakin' meal.

It seems like a waste of words if all the people really care about is getting the food.

It's selfish to not give it all. Don't make this into some sort of non-Christian bashing bs.
One further note to this post....ROTFLOL!! ...Have you EVER been to one of these "dinners"? Have you ever heard them say, "Those who wish to hear a sermon, stand in line #1...Those who just wish to eat, stand in line #2. Those who are standing in line #2, may make their way to the door...You have to hear the sermon in order to eat.

My daughter also brought up a good point here. At the Union Gospel Mission, the recipients are fed first. There is a small prayer before the meal, one which thanks the folks who donated the food, prepared the food, served the food, and thanks all who have joined them (the recipients). Once everyone has eaten, the music and sermon are provided. The door is not locked. Those wishing to leave without hearing the sermon and music, are free to do so. No one forces them to stay and hear that sermon. Most do, however, choose to stay. Therefore, this statement in itself is ridiculous....no one is forcing them to make a decision between a plate of food and a sermon. You are bashing for the simple sake of bashing.

Old 12-23-2009, 03:30 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,789,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
One further note to this post....ROTFLOL!! ...Have you EVER been to one of these "dinners"? Have you ever heard them say, "Those who wish to hear a sermon, stand in line #1...Those who just wish to eat, stand in line #2. Those who are standing in line #2, may make their way to the door...You have to hear the sermon in order to eat.

My daughter also brought up a good point here. At the Union Gospel Mission, the recipients are fed first. There is a small prayer before the meal, one which thanks the folks who donated the food, prepared the food, served the food, and thanks all who have joined them (the recipients). Once everyone has eaten, the music and sermon are provided. The door is not locked. Those wishing to leave without hearing the sermon and music, are free to do so. No one forces them to stay and hear that sermon. Most do, however, choose to stay. Therefore, this statement in itself is ridiculous....no one is forcing them to make a decision between a plate of food and a sermon. You are bashing for the simple sake of bashing.

Group Opposes Salvation Army Shelter Prayer | Newsradio 620 - Milwaukee, Wisconsin News, Talk, Sports, Weather | Local Headlines

Old 12-23-2009, 03:36 PM

Faith-Based Fiasco: Department Of Justice Backs Bias | The Wall of Separation

Quote:
As in many civil rights cases, attorneys with the U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ) civil rights division joined the case. Oddly enough, they joined in support of the Salvation Army instead of the employees accusing the group of discrimination.
The workers are challenging attempts by the Salvation Army to require employees to divulge information about their faiths, including the churches they attend and their religious leaders. This hostility to minority religions was accompanied by a change to the mission statement. All job postings and job descriptions now state that the top goal of the social welfare operation is “to preach the gospel of Jesus Christ and to meet human needs in his name without discrimination.” The previous mission statement was “to empower each person who enters our doors to live with dignity and hope,” and contained no religious references, according to the Los Angeles Times.

Old 12-23-2009, 03:58 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,698,118 times
QUOTE=Bydand;12143944]If you know about a chapter that "openly discriminates its employees who happen to be gay" then you need to contact your states labor board. In most states it is illegal to discriminate against an employee due to their sexual orientation. Oh yeah... they don't, happen to do that to their employees, so that argument is 100% BS and you know it.
[/quote]

I would wonder why a gay or lesbian would want to work for an organization that they so strongly disagree with. What's the issue, then, with so-called "discrimination"? Unless there's a hidden agenda...

Quote:
I am absolutely appalled at some of the posts here... as a poster commented, it reveals the true haters. For people to WHINE because they "have" to listen to a sermon before they receive their handout....really? That just makes me sick to my stomach. Everything...and I mean everything has a price. Did it ever occur to some of the posters that when they provide that sermon before a meal, that there ARE some people who need to get a message of hope and acceptance? It's a matter of providing food for the body and food for the soul....for those who need it. How dare you assume that some of the folks who hear that sermon don't need and/or want it. It's pretty clear just how selfish some of the posters here are.
We dp
You're saying, "I want something from you, but I don't want to be inconvenienced in any way...I don't CARE how you feel." The people giving out that free meal feel compelled, with every fiber of their beings, to share the hope and love of Jesus Christ with those in need. They have a NEED....and it's to share the "word". How very selfish to not consider their needs...after all, they are providing for YOUR needs! Again.....boy does this post reveal the truly selfish people out there. Merry Christmas....not Merry X-mas....to you all. To those of you whose hearts are in the right place....God bless you greatly!!
beachmel, your post brought tears to my eyes. I know exactly what you are talking about. Tried to rep you but I already used up my allotment for you! Bless you, and thank you for your work with the mission in your area.

[quote=beachmel;12146434]Don't make this into some sort of CHRISTIAN bashing BS! That's what this is all about....the entire undertone of this thread is exactly that. People whining because they don't want to hear a sermon that MIGHT make them feel guilty. Are they saying that? No! They're simply disguising it and lashing out at people who only want to do what they feel is the RIGHT thing. [quote]

I noticed the undertone as well.

Quote:
...By the way, thanks to this thread, I slipped some cash into the bucket today. I don't do it that often because I'm sort of stingy and poor. So some good has come from this thread. Thanks OP.
Yes, thanks to this thread, I went looking for their red kettle today. There aren't as many in this area as I'm used to seeing, but found one. If I hadn't, I was prepared to drive to their offices and drop a check there.

Like I said, when we were burned out of our urban apartment building years ago, nobody asked what we believe. They saw to our immediate needs, and we will always remember that.

Old 12-23-2009, 04:04 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,725,989 times

SO? You're sharing with us an example of a "gang of whiners"...Wow, convincing. LOL "Oh NO.....they pray there and I don't like it!!"
Well, don't GO there then...but let those very same people explain to their children that they have no clothes on their backs, no roof over their heads, and no food in their bellies because mommy or daddy are too selfish to suck it up. That's what's wrong with this world...too many people who want a handout, who think the world owes them something, and don't expect to have to give anything in return.

Not only that....but here's another rant. I am a Christian...and I am also an imperfect human being. I get so sick of Christian hating people who go around bashing Christians......as if they think they're the only ones who have rights! Those very same haters point their fingers when those of us who believe in a "higher power" get pi$$ed of at their ridiculous bashing and strike back, calling us "un-Christian". If that's the case, then pi$$ing us off, and getting an angry response....should make us one of YOU, right!? I mean.....if we behave in an "un-Christian-like" manner...that makes us cool like you, right?

Old 12-23-2009, 04:19 PM

4,474 posts, read 5,414,512 times
Quote:
Thanks for not disappointing....some posters' attitudes and responses are so very predictable... such as this one. LOL...so predictable... It would be interesting to see just what THIS poster's agenda is. Although, I think there are plenty of us who already know...(I hang my head and say a little prayer)....

If I ever find myself in dire need of a handout in order to feed my family or keep a roof over my head, I certainly will not give a whit to their underlying "agenda". Of course, should they expect me to strap a bomb to my chest and kill a building full of people... I'm afraid I'd have to draw the line. If their "underlying agenda" includes such things as encouraging me to be a good and moral human being, one who tries to be kind, forgiving, and grateful... I think I can stoop to that.
And jsut the atypical response we've come from your side. Arrogance, false superiority, a willingness to, even demand, to tie so-called charity with preaching to the masses.

Old 12-23-2009, 04:22 PM

Quote:
SO? You're sharing with us an example of a "gang of whiners"...Wow, convincing. LOL "Oh NO.....they pray there and I don't like it!!"
Well, don't GO there then...but let those very same people explain to their children that they have no clothes on their backs, no roof over their heads, and no food in their bellies because mommy or daddy are too selfish to suck it up. That's what's wrong with this world...too many people who want a handout, who think the world owes them something, and don't expect to have to give anything in return.

Not only that....but here's another rant. I am a Christian...and I am also an imperfect human being. I get so sick of Christian hating people who go around bashing Christians......as if they think they're the only ones who have rights! Those very same haters point their fingers when those of us who believe in a "higher power" get pi$$ed of at their ridiculous bashing and strike back, calling us "un-Christian". If that's the case, then pi$$ing us off, and getting an angry response....should make us one of YOU, right!? I mean.....if we behave in an "un-Christian-like" manner...that makes us cool like you, right?
You think I hate Christians? How funny. My family is full of them and I love them despite their flawed belief system.

Old 12-23-2009, 04:23 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,679,821 times
I think what is curious is that in the mind of a liberal the Gay and Lesbian groups are allowed to state their positions and not the Salvation Army?

Hmmm.....

Personally it's the Salvation Army's business to decide what their "platform" is. They are a private charity and it is theirs to do with what they want. They help a lot of people and if you don't want to support then don't.

I think more people and charities need to take a stand against all of this divisive nonsense spewed from the leftists. Private citizens and groups have the right to stand for or against whatever they choose. Don't like it, don't support them.

Old 12-23-2009, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
I think what is curious is that in the mind of a liberal the Gay and Lesbian groups are allowed to state their positions and not the Salvation Army?

Hmmm.....

Personally it's the Salvation Army's business to decide what their "platform" is. They are a private charity and it is theirs to do with what they want. They help a lot of people and if you don't want to support then don't.

I think more people and charities need to take a stand against all of this divisive nonsense spewed from the leftists. Private citizens and groups have the right to stand for or against whatever they choose. Don't like it, don't support them.
They receive tax pay dollars so they aren't so private after all.

Many gay and lesbian groups however don't receive tax payer dollars. Some do but the majority don't.

Old 12-23-2009, 04:27 PM

5,715 posts, read 15,046,738 times
Quote:

Christians are to be living epistles... people are looking to us to live our faith not shove it down their throats or get chastised when they have a different belief.
Sometimes, some people, push too far and actually require a strong response. In my experience, that's not always the case on this forum.

I'm not sure how your comment about "people wanting a handout, thinking the world owes them something and not expecting to give anything back in return" fits into this conversation...

As someone who has worked with homeless people, I can tell you that there are many reasons why mommy and daddy aren't taking care of thier children the way they should be. They need our help,... not our condemnation.

As far as the Salvation Army goes, while they are a Christian organization, they don't force their belief on anyone in their shelters. They don't turn anyone away.
The Salvation Army is an organization that doesn't judge people they don't know because of their outward appearance or their political views.

If someone chooses to go to their church on Sunday, you will hear about Jesus Christ.

If you can't afford to give cash to them, bring blankets, clothing, gloves, or anything.

They will gratefully accept your donation without looking down on anything you give to them.

Last edited by World Citizen; 12-23-2009 at 05:04 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies