Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2009, 04:31 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,681,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
You think I hate Christians? How funny. My family is full of them and I love them despite their flawed belief system.
Wow. Ironic.

Old 12-23-2009, 04:34 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,468,431 times
[quote=d_Random;12080127]I did not know this until recently, but the Salvation Army is an evangelical organization.
After reading some of their position statements I will not be donating to them in the future.

Quote:
HOMOSEXUALITY
The Salvation Army holds a positive view of human sexuality. Where a man and a woman love each other, sexual intimacy is understood as a gift of God to be enjoyed within the context of heterosexual marriage. However, in the Christian view, sexual intimacy is not essential to a healthy, full, and rich life. Apart from marriage, the scriptural standard is celibacy.
I just donated a bunch of furniture to them. I don't care what the middle man believes, if I can help somebody less fortunate than myself then I'm glad they can help me facilitate that. I urge everybody to donate to the poor, and those in need this Christmas and beyond.

Old 12-23-2009, 04:38 PM

Although I will point out that I find it ironic that those who claim to be Christian on this board seem to loathe those in need. Unlike those who cherry pick what they want out of the bible, I don't judge, I just help.

Old 12-23-2009, 04:44 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,695,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
Although I will point out that I find it ironic that those who claim to be Christian on this board seem to loathe those in need. Unlike those who cherry pick what they want out of the bible, I don't judge, I just help.
I think sometimes the line between "need" and "want" gets blurred. A Christian does not loathe anyone in need. It's the entitlement mentality full of perceived needs (wants) that is a bit grating. Nobody, right or left, is helping a person when they cater to the latter.

Old 12-23-2009, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
I think sometimes the line between "need" and "want" gets blurred. A Christian does not loathe anyone in need. It's the entitlement mentality full of perceived needs (wants) that is a bit grating. Nobody, right or left, is helping a person when they cater to the latter.

Uh hum....you are judging those as a means to validate your position. Again, something I don't do. If somebody is less fortunate than myself, I will help and advocate others to join. Of course some people will work the system, but they are the exception not the rule. Create a subset of a group to demonize as you wish, but I'd rather push on help those get food, clothes, shelter, medical care and so on. Beats the hell out of my tax money going to no bid contracts for Halliburton.

Old 12-23-2009, 04:49 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,725,989 times
Quote:

I haven't seen one single post on this or any other board where a Christian seems to "loathe" those in need. I'm not sure what you're seeing....but as for me, not one single statement of the kind. What I, personally, take offense to, are those who are standing in line for a handout, criticizing the givers. Some of us don't give out of guilt, but out of gratitude for what we have, and true compassion. I, like some of the others who have posted here, don't have a lot....but I give what I can, whether it be money or services....not for a pat on the back, not because I'm fearful that my "higher power" will be displeased with me if I don't, but because I have a heart of compassion. As for the poster who made a statement concerning "appropriate behavior of a Christian".... HE doesn't tell us to lie down and be bashed and abused. We are to be strong...that means many different things...IMHO.

Old 12-23-2009, 04:52 PM

331 posts, read 498,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxisMundi View Post
And jsut the atypical response we've come from your side. Arrogance, false superiority, a willingness to, even demand, to tie so-called charity with preaching to the masses.
1. How is that atypical? I thought that we were the oh-so terrible people who help those in need.

2. Since when is doing what's right (helping those in need) not charity?

Old 12-23-2009, 04:53 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,695,729 times
Quote:
Uh hum....you are judging those as a means to validate your position. Again, something I don't do. If somebody is less fortunate than myself, I will help and advocate others to join. Of course some people will work the system, but they are the exception not the rule. Create a subset of a group to demonize as you wish, but I'd rather push on help those get food, clothes, shelter, medical care and so on. Beats the hell out of no bid contracts to Halliburton.
Of course you misunderstand, because you in your mind believe that Christians "loathe" those in need. You said that. I merely pointed out that what might look to you as "loathing" (though I'm at a loss to know where you got that idea, as I didn't see it in this thread), is a judgement on your part resulting from not recognizing that there is a difference between true needs and wants.

Please show me where in this thread any Christian has shown loathing toward those who are needy.

Last edited by swbtoo; 12-23-2009 at 05:08 PM.. Reason: grammar

Old 12-23-2009, 04:55 PM

15 posts, read 13,227 times
Based on the OP, I plan to donate MORE to the Salvation Army this year. Not because I believe in everything they believe, but because they don't care who they help regardless of what they believe. That's the true meaning of giving.

Old 12-23-2009, 05:07 PM

300 posts, read 430,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
You think I hate Christians? How funny. My family is full of them and I love them despite their flawed belief system.

"Their flawed belief system"???

Why does it have to be their belief system? It might very well be YOUR Flawed belief System" you know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies