Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2009, 09:09 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,678,490 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
But even it it was -- so what?

A Christian group should be free to provide the help they believe is true help. Some of the rescue missions for street people believe in saving souls at the same time they help people in other ways - because they believe drug addiction and alcoholism involve more than just the body but also needs of the soul.

The rescue mission here allows the long-term residents to stay but only in exchange for some things on their part, they cannot be currently using drugs, they cannot bring alcohol into their rooms, they must participate in job searches, they must also participate in group prayer.

With many Christians, you simply cannot remove the spiritual completely from the physical - they want to help both.
I agree completely.

The bottom line is that these anti-Salvation Army gripers are completely and totally out of line. They're lying about the SA, acting as though you can't get help if you're gay, etc. It's ridiculous.

If they don't want to donate, they shouldn't. But they should also not be so dishonest as to claim that they're doing better charity work than is the SA.

Old 12-24-2009, 12:25 PM

1,773 posts, read 1,266,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post

Wrong argument. You're comparing apples to oranges.

LOL, how in the world can it possibly be a wrong argument? It's the exact same scenario using different variables. How about when you post something like that, you explain your reasoning behind your post?

Old 12-24-2009, 12:30 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
[quote=d_Random;12080127]I did not know this until recently, but the Salvation Army is an evangelical organization.
After reading some of their position statements I will not be donating to them in the future.

Quote:
HOMOSEXUALITY
The Salvation Army holds a positive view of human sexuality. Where a man and a woman love each other, sexual intimacy is understood as a gift of God to be enjoyed within the context of heterosexual marriage. However, in the Christian view, sexual intimacy is not essential to a healthy, full, and rich life. Apart from marriage, the scriptural standard is celibacy.
you know the above statement as it appears is true. I am not condeming homosexuality of pre marital sex, but the statement is true. Our world has changed, that is why, most of us have mellowed on the issues, but it doesn't change the truth.

Regardless of how you feel or how I might feel about things like same sex relationships, pre marital sex, etc there are few organizations that have done as much good throughout the years at the Salvation Army...
NIta

Old 12-24-2009, 07:25 PM

4,474 posts, read 5,413,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmac112 View Post
1. How is that atypical? I thought that we were the oh-so terrible people who help those in need.

2. Since when is doing what's right (helping those in need) not charity?
Firstly, there are plenty of secular charity organizations, organizations that have actual charity as an agenda.

Secondly, charity ceases to be charity when the only motivation behind that "giving" is to prostylize.

Said false charity becomes little more than a sales pitch premium, those little cheap made-in-China nick-knacks some salesmen will give you for listening to their pitch.

Old 12-24-2009, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxisMundi View Post
Firstly, there are plenty of secular charity organizations, organizations that have actual charity as an agenda.

Secondly, charity ceases to be charity when the only motivation behind that "giving" is to prostylize.

Said false charity becomes little more than a sales pitch premium, those little cheap made-in-China nick-knacks some salesmen will give you for listening to their pitch.
You've been repeatedly challenged to provide ANY evidence that ANY homosexual was EVER denied help by the Salvation Army, due to sexual orientation.

ANY evidence.

YOU have FAILED. And you've done so repeatedly. Congratulations!

Old 12-24-2009, 07:27 PM

4,474 posts, read 5,413,775 times
[quote=SLCPUNK;12149440]
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_Random View Post
I did not know this until recently, but the Salvation Army is an evangelical organization.
After reading some of their position statements I will not be donating to them in the future.

I just donated a bunch of furniture to them. I don't care what the middle man believes, if I can help somebody less fortunate than myself then I'm glad they can help me facilitate that. I urge everybody to donate to the poor, and those in need this Christmas and beyond.
I urge everyone to give to secular charities.

Not only don't they spend a significant portion of donated money on bibles, religious liturature, etc, it is actually CHARITY.

Old 12-24-2009, 07:29 PM

[quote=AxisMundi;12161896]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post

I urge everyone to give to secular charities.

Not only don't they spend a significant portion of donated money on bibles, religious liturature, etc, it is actually CHARITY.
Proof of Salvation Army refusing to help gays, please.

Otherwise, just admit that it was a lie. Yet another lie.

Old 12-24-2009, 07:49 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,321,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
Although I will point out that I find it ironic that those who claim to be Christian on this board seem to loathe those in need. Unlike those who cherry pick what they want out of the bible, I don't judge, I just help.
Secular charities like Red Cross and United Way are corrupt, very corrupt.

Old 12-24-2009, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
Secular charities like Red Cross and United Way are corrupt, very corrupt.
Wasn't it proven that the Red Cross had a little (ehem) "problem" with the proper dispersion of funds collected for 9/11 victims?

Old 12-24-2009, 08:41 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,763,471 times
[quote=d_Random;12080127]I did not know this until recently, but the Salvation Army is an evangelical organization.

Quote:
HOMOSEXUALITY
The Salvation Army holds a positive view of human sexuality. Where a man and a woman love each other, sexual intimacy is understood as a gift of God to be enjoyed within the context of heterosexual marriage. However, in the Christian view, sexual intimacy is not essential to a healthy, full, and rich life. Apart from marriage, the scriptural standard is celibacy.
There is nothing incorrect about that statement. That is, in fact, what the Holy Bible says pretty much. I do not have any problem with any organization having beliefs that are its own. I have problems when they try to use the government to force their views on others. The Salvation Army has never tried to do that as far as I can tell nor has it discriminated against anybody in the services it performs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies