Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 04:48 PM

4,474 posts, read 5,411,259 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
another militant attack on a good organizaton.
militants dont care about christmas or peaceful coexistence with others, they have declared war on our community. this issue has nothing to do with sexual orientation. it has to do with respect for others.
Hypocracy much?

"respect for others" doesn't invovle having a mission statement specifically targeting gays.

Old 12-22-2009, 04:52 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,338,075 times
While I disagree with their views, I think they do some good in this world, so I'll keep on giving. Plus I'd feel like a ******* if I didn't throw some change in the bucket.

Old 12-22-2009, 04:54 PM

4,474 posts, read 5,411,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
While I disagree with their views, I think they do some good in this world, so I'll keep on giving. Plus I'd feel like a ******* if I didn't throw some change in the bucket.
At what point would the evil they do outstrip what good they might accomplish?

Old 12-22-2009, 04:55 PM

324 posts, read 573,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
I was a Depression Era child and my parents had very little but whenever people came to our door begging for food--as sometimes happened--my parents always shared SOMETHING with them, although we didn't have much ourselves. I even remember seeing people going through our alley with a wheelbarrow and scavenging food from garbage cans and taking it home to eat.
Your parents had been obviously good hearted people. I hope, they were blessed in their lives!
You remember a quite time back (Great Depression). It must have been very really difficult time.

Merry Christmas, Cunucu Beach!

Old 12-22-2009, 04:55 PM

331 posts, read 498,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxisMundi View Post
Hypocracy much?

"respect for others" doesn't invovle having a mission statement specifically targeting gays.
They did not target the homosexuals. I think that they handled the topic in a very compassionate and tactful manner. They did it much more compassionately and tactfully than I do most of the time!

And, you know what, this is all the more reason to give them a $5 everytime I hear a bell, instead of a $1. Screw the OP!

Old 12-22-2009, 05:04 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,993,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_Random View Post
I did not know this until recently, but the Salvation Army is an evangelical organization.
After reading some of their position statements I will not be donating to them in the future.
many gays have known those facts about the starvation army for years. i haven't donated to their red buckets in over 20 years.

Old 12-22-2009, 05:05 PM

7,786 posts, read 8,024,746 times
great posts everyone. if not for people like the Salvation Army the gov would look twice as bad at responding to disasters.they show up to late waste to much money and generaly dont have a clue. my dad got wounded in WW11 and the red cross billed my grandma for a blanket and some other stuff. my sister still has the bill

Old 12-22-2009, 05:07 PM

7,786 posts, read 8,024,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
many gays have known those facts about the starvation army for years. i haven't donated to their red buckets in over 20 years.
and a MERRY CHRISTMAS to you too

Old 12-22-2009, 05:10 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,993,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Please, do double up donations this year to any charity you give to. Their demand is up and the donations are down.

I am a very non-religious person and disagree strongly with some of the silliness that comes from religious organizations, but that is simply not a valid reason to drop support for their charities.

I think I'll go check my PO box this afternoon and put some more money in the SA kettle outside the store just to irritate the OP.

A side note: We have someone in our city that drops Krugerrands in the kettles every year. No one knows who it is, but this year that's one whale of a donation!
Yes, PLEASE DO double up on charities that are in desperate need this holiday season, but ppl do have the right to donate to a cause that cares about ALL people. ronald mcdonald charities is a worthwhile one. the late Mrs Kroc gave substantial donations to various charities without judgment. depending on your city, there are also various churches that are accepting of ALL that will put your donations to use without judgment.

Last edited by wehotex; 12-22-2009 at 05:22 PM..

Old 12-22-2009, 05:10 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,664,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxisMundi View Post
Hypocracy much?

Same challenge for you that the other anti-SA zealots have failed.

Give one example - ANY example - of the Salvation Army refusing to help people because said people were gay. ANY example will do.

Until then, just admit that you're crying over a non-issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies