Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is the right wing brand of Christianity ruining America?
Yes 52 47.71%
No 52 47.71%
Not sure, maybe 5 4.59%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 11:10 PM

303 posts, read 563,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feel The Love View Post
The decimation of little children on the other side of the planet are of no importance to them, especially since they are poor and brown. Most of the right wing Christians are pro war (violence) and have no problem with it. The same group are also against universal health care for their fellow Americans and use harsh judgment as a means to justify their opinion. I highly doubt these were the principles Jesus meant we should follow.

They will always find a way to condone their advocacy of violence, lack of empathy and general selfishness within the Bible, or worse yet ask where it says they should not act that way. They are not followers of Christ, but opposite: Fakes who cherry pick what they want out of the bible to validate their insane world views.
No truer words have ever been spoken. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2010, 11:25 PM

9,644 posts, read 9,847,480 times
Quote:
The decimation of little children on the other side of the planet are of no importance to them, especially since they are poor and brown. Most of the right wing Christians are pro war (violence) and have no problem with it. The same group are also against universal health care for their fellow Americans and use harsh judgment as a means to justify their opinion. I highly doubt these were the principles Jesus meant we should follow.

They will always find a way to condone their advocacy of violence, lack of empathy and general selfishness within the Bible, or worse yet ask where it says they should not act that way. They are not followers of Christ, but opposite: Fakes who cherry pick what they want out of the bible to validate their insane world views.
lol When liberals donate as much as those Christians you are bashing get back to me about Christians are selfish and lack empathy

Its just amazing how liberals wants others to give their money while the liberals dont give their own money. Yet they sit in a chair behind a computer monitor and go on and on about how terrible christians are, how selfish they are and bash the living heck out of them when they are wrong.

It turns out that this idea that liberals give more…is a myth. Of the top 25 states where people give an above average percent of their income, 24 were red states in the last presidential election.
Who Gives and Who Doesn't? - ABC News

-Conservatives also donate more time and give more blood.
-Residents of the states that voted for John Kerry in 2004 gave smaller percentages of their incomes to charity than did residents of states that voted for George Bush.
And it goes on Conservatives give 3.5 to charity while those living in the blue states which are richer gives 1.9%

RealClearPolitics - Articles - Conservatives More Liberal Givers

So please feel free to sit here and make some more bogus claims about how uncaring and selfish and so on christians are when the do and give more then the liberals that claim to care more and have the empathy you say christians lack

Old 01-02-2010, 11:31 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,632,241 times
Quote:

There goes that 'right wing Christian' thing again. Lets clarify things a bit. My politics, and my religion, remain very separated from each other. By most definitions, I would be considered a 'conservative' , thus leaning to the right in my politics, and I am a Christian. I do not attend services regular like, feel no need to burn up a perfectly good day off inside a church when I can talk to God just fine out hunting yotes with my son. I despise war, and I come from a strong military background. I , wholeheartedly, support our fighting forces, remember that no one despises war more than those who fight them. You speak of harsh judgments, used to justify an opinion, is this not what you are doing here? Using peoples beliefs as your premise, you accuse them of being in favor of genocidal mania steeped in apathy for the suffering of children, because they have brown skin? Forgive my confusion, but I can't make heads or tails of this.

Old 01-02-2010, 11:52 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,596,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
No, an "eye for an eye" represents vengeance and violence. Equality has nothing to do with it. If you feel compelled to "return the favor", you are just as guilty as your alleged perpetrator. I doubt even the Christian god would view that differently. What? Does the Christian god look down from above and cheer everyone on to take their distorted view of justice into their own hands? I don't think so. Gandhi was correct: an eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind.
yea well whatever. an eye for an eye still represents equality.

Old 01-02-2010, 11:55 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,596,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC~Mom View Post
I have no idea what you just said....but it's probably for the best.
My point is...Christianity does not = morality.....even us evil Atheists can live good, moral lives without sacrificing children or worshipping the make believe devil.
The meaning of morals is treating others like you like to be treated...simple as that....you mean we can't possibly do that without believing in the God myth?
hey you're right, knock yourself out.

Old 01-03-2010, 12:24 AM

4,085 posts, read 8,789,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
"Right wing brand"? Uh huh. Now that this groups existence has been established, could you tell me what the 'left wing brand" of Christianity is? I did not realize that religion, Christianity in particular, had divided into 'left' and 'right' wings. I thought religion was described with terms like 'fundamentalist','extremist' etc. From what I have seen on here, just being a Christian is enough to be described thus by many.
I think people conflate politics and religion and start thinking there are left and right "wings" to Christianity as a result of terms like "right-wing brand of Christianity" such as the topic of this thread states.

Right-wing and left-wing are political wings.

However, in Christianity, there is a range of "conservative" to "liberal", also. I guess the more appropriate terms are "fundamental" and "liberal". Anyway, these don't translate directly to political conservatism or liberalism. In other words, a person can be fundamentalist Christian while being poltically liberal, or he can be a liberal Christian who is politically conservative.

I think a lot of people who want to be fundamentalist or conservative evangelical Christians think that this requires them to be politically conservative also, and the political conservative parties/organizations/politicians play off this in order to gather up their votes. It's wrong, but I think that kind of confusion is why so many evangelicals think they owe loyalty to politically conservative groups and politicans.

The irony is that a lot of conservative "right-wing" Christians are actually pretty liberal in their Christianity. I know several people who go to evangelical churches with female ministers/pastors/priests, modern rock-n-roll type of services, and have very liberal views on divorce and lifestyle but are strictly conservative politically. I'm the opposite - I'm very orthodox and fundamentalist in my Christianity, but in term of politics (USA) I'm liberal.

I don't think there is a "correct" political alignment for Christians per se, but I would hope Christians align themselves politically based on their faith. Unfortunately, in the "Christian (political) Right" I see people who base their Christianity on their politics rather than the other way around. At least, that's how it strongly appears to me.

Old 01-03-2010, 12:31 AM

4,085 posts, read 8,789,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by actonbell View Post
yea well whatever. an eye for an eye still represents equality.
Perhaps, but that's not what Christianity teaches. Christianity teaches the "eye for an eye" standard in order to set up the greater standard of forgiveness, sacrifice, and serving God by serving others.

Here is what the Christian Bible says about vengeance, amongst other things that aren't "fair" by man's standards:

Romans 12
14 Bless them which persecute you: bless, and curse not.
15 Rejoice with them that do rejoice, and weep with them that weep.
16 Be of the same mind one toward another. Mind not high things, but condescend to men of low estate. Be not wise in your own conceits.
17 Recompense to no man evil for evil. Provide things honest in the sight of all men.
18 If it be possible, as much as lieth in you, live peaceably with all men.
19 Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto wrath: for it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord.
20 Therefore if thine enemy hunger, feed him; if he thirst, give him drink: for in so doing thou shalt heap coals of fire on his head.
21 Be not overcome of evil, but overcome evil with good.

Old 01-03-2010, 02:16 AM

1,179 posts, read 975,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
lol When liberals donate as much as those Christians you are bashing get back to me about Christians are selfish and lack empathy

Its just amazing how liberals wants others to give their money while the liberals dont give their own money. Yet they sit in a chair behind a computer monitor and go on and on about how terrible christians are, how selfish they are and bash the living heck out of them when they are wrong.

It turns out that this idea that liberals give more…is a myth. Of the top 25 states where people give an above average percent of their income, 24 were red states in the last presidential election.
Who Gives and Who Doesn't? - ABC News

-Conservatives also donate more time and give more blood.
-Residents of the states that voted for John Kerry in 2004 gave smaller percentages of their incomes to charity than did residents of states that voted for George Bush.
And it goes on Conservatives give 3.5 to charity while those living in the blue states which are richer gives 1.9%

RealClearPolitics - Articles - Conservatives More Liberal Givers

So please feel free to sit here and make some more bogus claims about how uncaring and selfish and so on christians are when the do and give more then the liberals that claim to care more and have the empathy you say christians lack
Save your non sequitur for somebody else.

Old 01-03-2010, 02:31 AM

4,696 posts, read 5,823,807 times
For those who think Christianity should be liberal. What would Jesus think about TARP and all the bank and big business bailouts? All of these Democrat backed programs looted the middle class taxpayers and ramped up our nations defecit in order to save the wealthy elite. Contrary to popular belief it was the religious right, tea party protesters not the libs who were looking out for the interests of the common person.

Old 01-03-2010, 04:21 AM

2,479 posts, read 3,235,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
For those who think Christianity should be liberal. What would Jesus think about TARP and all the bank and big business bailouts? All of these Democrat backed programs looted the middle class taxpayers and ramped up our nations defecit in order to save the wealthy elite. Contrary to popular belief it was the religious right, tea party protesters not the libs who were looking out for the interests of the common person.
OMG. unbelievable
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies