Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Unions? Are they a needed security
Unions are needed to fight the unscrupulous employers 25 27.47%
Unions are not needed, as one's individual character & talent determines if they work 36 39.56%
We need both, as a checks and balances to the workforce 30 32.97%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 06:39 PM

2,196 posts, read 1,994,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Can't rep you Mr. Funk but great post.

Only in America can one get a HS diploma and end up making the equivalent of $71/hour hooking up door handles and retire to Florida with a nice pension and covered healthcare

Why does anyone bother with college when you can get a nice union job and be set for life ?
Greetings HappyTexan ,

Thanks anyway ... I do very much enjoy reading your outstanding posts.

It is great to be afforded the privilege to express ones opinions on CDF
in the atmosphere thats it's prefectly acceptable to "Agree To Disagree".

You do a great job on here and I hope you keep it up !!!

Thanks / Lamar
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2010, 06:40 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
I knew you couldn't answer the question. I twisted nothing, I asked a question that you can't answer.

Your so called "question" was a twist & spin that amounted to a baiting/trolling post and nothing else. Nothing to answer.
You read into it, what your imagination wants.

Old 01-01-2010, 06:57 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,312,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
We could save GM and so many other companies money by having a single-payer health care system or a national health care system.

As far as pensions, I think too many people have been screwed out of their pensions and other things when a company goes under, restructures, is sold, etc. What's so bad about a company keeping an obligation to its employees?

I agree, greed and incompetence brought GM and Chrysler down. Have you ever seen Roger and Me?
A lot of people just don't get it, that the U.S.A is at a huge disadvantage in the world market with all our industries and consumer goods produced in this country i.e. they're not playing on a level field with foreign factories. We're completing against countries who have universal health care for their workers and their manufacturers don't have to build that cost into their products the way we do. That's the reason why GM dumped their health care responsibilities to workers and retirees through VEBA.

Last edited by Wayland Woman; 01-01-2010 at 07:22 PM..

Old 01-01-2010, 07:07 PM

711 posts, read 933,257 times
I am pro-union. Except for a p/t job while a student I have always worked union and don't plan a change. I will retire a union employee if I have a say.

When our younger grads. state that unions are outdated, that globalization and 'free' trade is a must (because it will enrich the economies of the WORLD) two things come to mind. 1-where in the world are they, and what country's economy is most important to them. 2-the fact that relatively few jobs are still union and are nearing extinction.

I believe in our free enterprise democracy--but I strongly reject unfettered capitalism and the forces that rampant corporatism has arrayed against our middle class. The political, business, and academic elites are waging nearly a war on Americans and unless it is checked I doubt the middle class can survive.

Remember, most of our universities are not bastions of independent thinking, social scholorship and activism. Instead, they are dependent and rely on either the Fed. Gov't. or the favor of corporations and the wealthy for funding their very existence.

Untill we have changes in the ways, means and the necessary regulation of the manner of American commerce and the enforcement of the same, we will see only superficial improvement--the lady in the harbor has had "because I can" stuffed up her nose too many times.
Also, till genetic engineering becomes prominent and the darker side of human nature becomes extinct I will prefer to work union, I need and deserve the security and I don't mind paying my union dues.

Old 01-01-2010, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DraggingCanoe View Post
Unions will be one Obamas victims in his march toward statism. They will meet the same fate as Capitalism.
Don't count on it. Unions, like everything else, are going global.

Old 01-01-2010, 07:36 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Labor Unions are actually pushing for illegal alien participation in your Union now. They have a lot of legal immigrants now, coming in on Union supported Visas, to stagnate wages and benefits, even reducing them to be "competitive" on the world market. Even now with the unemployment rates we are seeing, 35,000 a month come into the US on worker visas, to be planted into Unions. It is the only way Unions can increase profits, in a very down economy.
interesting post. but truly unions are as loyal to its members as the members are to them. we support the unions and participation in them as much as we do in elections, 50% or less. if i were a union i would be looking for members that show guts, got work ethic and wana work together, that does not sound much like most americans. the new american mind set, if it didnt happen to me it didnt happen. have you noticed all the cops and soldiers are no longer smith, jones, and johnson? its now gomez, rodriguez, and lopez.

Old 01-01-2010, 07:46 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
interesting post. but truly unions are as loyal to its members as the members are to them. we support the unions and participation in them as much as we do in elections, 50% or less. if i were a union i would be looking for members that got work ethic and wana work together, that does not sound much like most americans. the new american mind set, if it didnt happen to me it didnt happen. have you noticed all the cops and soldiers are no longer smith, jones, and johnson? its now gomez, rodriguez, and lopez.
Democrat introduces SEIU-backed illegal alien amnesty bill

By Michelle Malkin • December 15, 2009 11:15 AM

http://michellemalkin.cachefly.net/michellemalkin.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/seiuam.jpg (broken link)

SEIU has been lobbying for illegal alien amnesty as a massive membership booster all year. In May, the Purple Shirts held a pro-illegal immigration rally from Malcolm X Park to the White House to put pressure on homeland security officials to call off workplace raids (not that Janet Napolitano needed any convincing):

“It certainly will confuse the debate a lot more, but at the end of the day what we have to understand is fixing this system will be good for American workers,” said Eliseo Medina, executive vice president of the Service Employees International Union, which is one of the major advocates for legalizing illegal immigrant workers.

Michelle Malkin » Democrat introduces SEIU-backed illegal alien amnesty bill

Why is SEIU have workers that are Illegal Immigrants in America?

A spokesman from SEIU was on video saying the Union / SEIU had many undocumented workers from all over the world - China, Mexico, Poland, Indians etc. He even said that they had American born citizens working for them. So the Union Obama said he would "work for entire life" for are bringing in illegal immigrants for hire instead of hiring the majority American workers. How does this sound? Is Americans happy that illegal immigrants are taking Americans jobs? Is this what Van Jones meant when he said "give them the wealth" ?

Old 01-01-2010, 07:47 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
If unions cannot make inroads at Walmart I can only imagine when they show up in China.

Old 01-01-2010, 08:07 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
Union membership, in terms of members, is declining in the United States.

Unions have become mostly unnecessary

Old 01-01-2010, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
If unions cannot make inroads at Walmart I can only imagine when they show up in China.
Easier than here because their working conditions are not as good as our non-unionized places. Watch it happen in the next decade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Union membership, in terms of members, is declining in the United States.

Unions have become mostly unnecessary
True. Our factories are disappearing and the production plants still here are automating more and more every year. But I disagree union are unnecessary (see my post #11).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies