Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 06:59 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,541,384 times

Advertisements

This is the tenth year I've worked at the hospital boiler room. We closely monitor the outside air temperature and humidity and make adjustments on our HVAC system accordingly. We pay especially close attention to the temperature when it drops below 45 degrees because all sorts of changes to the equipment have to be made (some of which were installed in the '60s). Looking back on the past ten years, this winter's average temperature is the coldest so far since I've been here. We've even had to use all the tricks we could think of to keep the patients warm without making it too hot for other patients. Normally, we don't begin a review of the freeze policy until January. This year we did a review in November. This week we're expecting a morning low in the twenties. This may not seem like much to people who live up north but for people who live down in the deep south, this is dangerous weather. Many people's homes aren't well insulated for the cold. I'm just glad my father-in-law now lives with us because the home he was staying in was too dangerous, had no central heat, and it's only source of heat was an electric space heater which isn't enough. He's 84 and that was his parent's home. We don't keep our home as hot as he'd like but he won't freeze thanks to our central heat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2010, 07:02 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,449,435 times
why is it when there is a cold rain there are posts jeering global warming?
how to you laugh away an ice glacier beakup the size of a small town in canada?

Old 01-03-2010, 07:05 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,541,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
why is it when there is a cold rain there are posts jeering global warming?
how to you laugh away an ice glacier beakup the size of a small town in canada?
In my case, it wasn't about a cold rain. It was about an unusually cold past three months.

Old 01-03-2010, 07:07 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,577,270 times
But...but.....there is no snow in my driveway.

Old 01-03-2010, 07:15 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,760,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post

Looks like there is plenty of snow in the world's driveway.

As Britain told to expect snow for 'next 10 days', how is the rest of the world is coping with this Arctic weather? | Mail Online

"When Britain woke up on the first day of the New Year it was met with freezing cold temperatures, feet of snow in places and the promise of travel chaos.
And now, three days into 2010, forecasters have warned to expect continued snowfall for the next 10 days - bringing with it added stress for commuters heading back to work after a festive break and children returning to school tomorrow.
Yet as Britain struggles to cope with the freezing weather conditions, other countries throughout the world are also finding themselves in the same predicament."

Old 01-03-2010, 07:22 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,229,680 times
I am all for making the air cleaner. For less pollution of any kind and I am for green fuels.
I struggle with people like Al Gore who preach one thing but live another.
I struggle with the fact that scientists don't agree with Gores bad science and we are seeing more everyday speak out against it.
Yes lets clean up our act, but lets also be honest. Gore is making a mint from his carbon credits scam. He is making a mint by lying and misrepresenting the facts.
Bio fuels are not here yet but with some valid investment they can become reality. Sorry Corn Ethanol doesn't count.

Old 01-03-2010, 07:22 PM

9,644 posts, read 9,850,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
46 degrees is not freezing. 19 degrees (as it is in NJ) is freezing. Floridians have a distorted sense of what "freezing" is.
For people living in Fla it is.

Old 01-03-2010, 07:30 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,185,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
but...but... I've had snow on my back deck since October! I think it's a sure sign that climate change IS real!

Old 01-03-2010, 08:43 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
For people living in Fla it is.
To repeat, and be a little more exact, "freezing" is 32 degrees or below.

Old 01-03-2010, 08:46 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,949,243 times
Default Back to the OP and cooling in Florida

There was a time when the town of Frostproof, FL lived up to its name. Grove owners at Frostproof or South could be assured that they did not have to worry about frost damage to the citrus groves. In the past 25 years this has not been the case and areas far South of Frostproof FL have had to protect their groves and other crops from below freezing temperatures. This is a trend not a seasonal "fluke".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies