Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 04:55 PM

2,240 posts, read 1,387,584 times

Advertisements

It's freezing in the South! Why did the glaciers retreat in the past? Before our carbon issues. Huh? And can we fix it in time to save the planet? Shouldn't we be looking at generation ships to take us to the stars to seek another planet? I don't think this should be a political issue. It's for the scientists, climatologists, etc to figure it out, report on it, make suggestions. Some politician's career should NOT be tied to this! JMO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2010, 05:07 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,904,263 times
Whatever happened to the big hole in the ozone layer? Remember when that was a huge topic? Last I heard, it was closing or had closed.

Old 01-04-2010, 06:36 PM

1,418 posts, read 3,457,689 times
the thing is...I am certainly no scientist but I don't see how anyone can discount the hyper-industrialization this planet has undergone in the last 300 years and assume that there will be no affect on the delicate ecosystem that is Earth. (unless of course you believe a supreme being created our planet and will just wash away all the filth we leave behind)

Old 01-04-2010, 08:03 PM

1,133 posts, read 713,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
BINGO!!! Money is the root of the entire thing. Earth will change ON IT'S OWN, adapt, change again and on and on. And man cannot stop it.
You will have to be careful how you pose your questions around here Kdad. Lot of nasties about that passed Ms Grissams 9th grade science class with a c+ and want to explode their vast sources of paste alink on you. In this modern age of post & paste you don't have to know much of anything as long as you can google and post.

In your neck of the woods, once upon a time, these same guys could be found sittin down by the courthouse with a knife and a whittlin stick and backer juice runnin down there cheek. Nowadays its just clear slobber and a key board.

Old 01-04-2010, 08:11 PM

817 posts, read 853,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
I am confused on this global warming issue. It was 5 degrees here in my part of KY last night. Had a major ice storm last year about this time. We have had four seasons here for as long as I can remember. Sometimes above normal temps and other times, normal or below temps. Shouldn't it be getting WARMER here all the time? I have a simple theory as to why we are still having four seasons and temps going up and down like normal...

GLOBAL WARMING DOESN'T EXIST!!!
Global warming can make it colder.

Old 01-04-2010, 08:20 PM

1,133 posts, read 713,303 times
Global warming can be anythng you want it to be just like a $200 hooker, hot... cold, you name it, Al Gore he da ****, what you want is what you git...its your imagination honey!

Old 01-04-2010, 08:22 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,332,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maskedman View Post
So can "climate change" which is the "in' term to use now.

Old 01-04-2010, 09:56 PM

3,196 posts, read 5,400,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizjo View Post
Why did the glaciers retreat in the past?
...um not cold enough to keep 'em...

Old 01-04-2010, 09:58 PM

3,196 posts, read 5,400,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maskedman View Post
Warming means hotter.
Cooling means colder.

Warming not mean colder.
Cooling not mean hotter.

Old 01-04-2010, 10:07 PM

2,754 posts, read 6,103,841 times
Being both spekptical and confused about the alleged global warming issue, I sat down and broke-out the calculator a few months ago and did some math. If you take the age of our planet (about 4.6 billion years) and then factor in the very, very brief time that mankind has been able to accurately track our weather patterns andglobal temps. (maybe 100 years?) I reckoned that the comparison was roughly equivalent to having a 50 year-old man go outside for 10 minutes on his 50th birthday and observe the weather. And then making a prediciction on it's "latest pattern" using that miniscule timespan.
This would seem to hardly present a credible test period.
And yeah, down here in normally sunny and tropical Austin, TX, we've been 10-20 degrees below normal for the past month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies