Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 10:19 PM

2,830 posts, read 2,504,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
Just curious. Who takes the opportunity to promote a POV on the backs of 100,000 dead people? Is that what this threads about? Trying to score points against all those who have pointed out the ills of Wally World prior?
Not going to fall for your political bait...

Im not trying to score points, just proving that many corporations, who always get flak for being greedy, can actually do nice, hospitable things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2010, 10:24 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,255,736 times
It amazes me that a disaster that is less than 48 hours old can cause so much banter about who is giving and who isn't...people always step up to the plate...what is everyone on here giving?

Old 01-13-2010, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
It amazes me that a disaster that is less than 48 hours old can cause so much banter about who is giving and who isn't...people always step up to the plate...what is everyone on here giving?
1) Its more complicated than that. It's about people who proclaim themselves as being "liberal" actually being liberal. When the underdog capitalists come in and donate a considerable chunk of money, it says something about us as a society.

2) This is a political forum silly

Old 01-13-2010, 10:28 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
Quote:
I donated. There's a donation thread with lots of good links to charities.

The poorest nation in the world is Haiti.

Old 01-13-2010, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanst530 View Post
1) Its more complicated than that. It's about people who proclaim themselves as being "liberal" actually being liberal. And when the underdog capitalists come in and donate a considerable chunk of money, it says something.

2) This is a political forum silly
Far too sad...people are still trapped and wounded yet here we are behind our computer screens bickering about people we do not know and how much we expect them to give...makes perfect sense to me

Old 01-13-2010, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I donated. There's a donation thread with lots of good links to charities.

The poorest nation in the world is Haiti.
They desperately need it

Old 01-13-2010, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Far too sad...people are still trapped and wounded yet here we are behind our computer screens bickering about people we do not know and how much we expect them to give...makes perfect sense to me
Well first of all, I don't see you out there in the rubble helping these people. Secondly, I DO feel bad for these people... its a TERRIBLE travesty and hope to god that the survivors can rebuild their country into a better Haiti than before.

Unfortunately there is nothing (realistically) most of us can do except donate money. Which I did.

Old 01-13-2010, 10:35 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,316,377 times
Quote:
.... Meanwhile, Oprah and Paris Hilton are telling us to donate, while not donating anything themselves!

Oprah, Paris Hilton urge Haiti quake relief

Walmart Donates $600,000 in Response to Haiti Earthquake -- BENTONVILLE, Ark., Jan. 13 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ --
Get real. You have no way of knowing if Oprah donated or not. After Katrina she was criticized by the right for "grandstanding" because she gave so much money. Maybe this time she decided to keep her donation quiet.

Old 01-13-2010, 10:36 PM

971 posts, read 1,295,030 times
Is it really out of charity if you announce it? Giving is best done in anonymity or at least without fanfare and press releases.

Old 01-13-2010, 10:39 PM

3,771 posts, read 7,096,376 times
Quote:
Well first of all, I don't see you out there in the rubble helping these people. ...Unfortunately there is nothing (realistically) most of us can do except donate money. Which I did.
1. You're not in the rubble helping anyone. Are you seriously accusing Mr Stewart of something that you're not doing either?

2. Who's to say that he or anyone else you're fighting with didn't also donate money just like you?

There's an old saying I remember from when I was a child: "Everytime you point your finger at someone, you've got 3 fingers pointed back at yourself." Now that I think about it, there was another one I overheard as a child: "Don't let your left hand know what your right hand is doing."

Remember them =P.

Be kind to one another, folks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies