Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 01:48 PM

918 posts, read 817,228 times

Advertisements

As if to corroborate the disaster that is the demonRATic reconciliation BEHIND CLOSED DOORS I offer this from the politico.com:

"[The partisan 'retreats' held by House leaders each winter are usually unremarkable, closed door affairs where lawmakers discuss politics and policy at swanky spas in the mountains.

This year is different. Democrats are huddling in the Capitol basement trying to figure out how bad it is for them out there with the electorate. And they're trying to get out from under the health care debate.

Republicans meet next week believing they've got a real shot at taking back the House in November – or at least winning a couple dozen seats – as long as they don't blow it in the next 10 months.

The defensive posture for Democrats and the optimism flowing through Republican ranks will define much of the 2010 political landscape.

It's Thursday morning and you're in The Huddle.

POLITICO print edition p. 1 image http://bit.ly/5qrUud.

DRIVING THE DAY: President Obama visits the House Democratic caucus leadership retreat at 5 p.m. today. Tory Newmyer of Roll Call finds tension on the ranks: 'Gripes rippled through the House Democratic Caucus on Wednesday over what staffers described as a chaotic runup to the House Democratic jobs summit, highlighting election-year anxiety about the dragging health care negotiations as vulnerable lawmakers itch to change the subject to the economy.

'The complaints, from aides to leaders and rank-and-file Members alike, centered on what they called a lack of clarity about the agenda for the three-day confab. The meetings kicked off Wednesday with a political briefing at the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee followed by an address from Google CEO Eric Schmidt at the Library of Congress. 'Nobody has a clue what's going on,' one senior Democratic aide said, adding that details of panel discussions and speakers largely remained a mystery Wednesday.

'Grumbling staffers directed their criticism at the office of House Democratic Caucus Chairman John Larson (Conn.), who is charged with organizing the event. But one senior Democratic aide said Larson staff have been providing rundowns of the agenda 'every day this week.' ...The criticism reveals a growing unease with the ongoing dominance of health care talks at a time when many Democrats are eager to wrap up work on the issue and move on.']"

Please note that I've resisted 'piling on' here as demonstrable fact corroborates itself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2010, 04:06 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,837,011 times
I think healthcare is broken. Does anyone disagree with this? My wife's friend is Japanese and married an English fellow. (My wife is Japanese as well.) She got the cancer. She left Engand because of the quality of care. As to whether she simply wanted to be treated at home, because it was more familiar or not, might've have been an issue. But my wife told me she left due to the quality of care. I've heard some bad case examples of England and how they they've made the executive decision to let you die.

It's just good business, as was mentioned prior. Businesses make a profit for themselves and their shareholders. They can't do that by saving everyone. Is it moral? Hrmmm... is it moral to default on a loan that was given in good faith? Is it good business to do it, though?

A sticky question. You have two people. One is a 20 year old woman, one is a 64 year old woman. You have one heart on ice in a cooler. Who do you save? Why do you let one die? Is the life of one more precious that the other? The simple fact of the matter is - strictly speaking "bottom line" wise - you save the one with the best insurance policy.

Health care is broken. It's going to be broken regardles of this outcome...and a national health care bill is not going to fix it.

Old 01-14-2010, 05:33 PM

918 posts, read 817,228 times
Default 70Ford

I also have a Japanese friend who married a westerner. An American actually. ME! It's been 48 years now and counting, Fortunately , I'm not presenttly backed up against the "broken" heath care system as she's in reletively good health. I, on the other hand, was coasting along impervious to age until around age 60ish when a succession of maladies upon my body visited me. One heart condition, four operations and two diseases defeated and last September I found myself engaged with non-Hodgkin's follicular lymphoma. Stage 3B - aggressive. I never flinched and rapidly educated myself and commenced aggressive chemotherapy to deal with it. I'm upright and ambulating with my noodle in full-open mode so no complaints. I'm now approaching the end of that and will have it soon in long-term remission after which I shall, set about curing it naturally. It's all about attitude. I only relate this to note that my saving grace is that as a Navy veteran I'm fully covered by the VA. I'm fortunate to be close to one of the best-rated of the VA medical centers and use my knowledge of the system to advocate for myself and negotiate the system to work FOR ME.

My wife is relegated to Medicare, so may well become an Oba-maniac victim. We're in our 70s, so that means rationed care for her by the system. It also means care denied and I do not fool myself about that. It is, for me, further vindication that the loonies that support him must be deaf, dumb and blind in their very souls as they are in the same boat as we are in and Resident Evil is the Captain locked up in his secure wheelhouse navigating us all into shoal waters. Should we fail to turn out this congress come November, it WILL MARK THE BEGINNING OF THE END. Will I stand idly by while my wife lives under the Sword of Damocles hung by a feeble thread by Mr. Resident Evil? Not if I have anything to do about it. I've made my personal determination and have in the past been contacted by others who feel similarly. I openly predict that if he retains power through control of congress you will start to see assassinations of political figures indiscriminately at every level with NO END in sight. Commitments have been made. It's intentionally NOT organized and indiscriminate and anonymous as possible, but the first event will sound the call. No amount of martial law will stop it and the Resident Evil will not escape his fate. Just peruse the various 'net forums/sites and all the sincere patriotic anger. It's a groundswell that's been building since Shamnesty in the Bush years...believe it.

The arroganty stupid and powerful have not reckoned with the fact that you can only push free men so far. Then reasonable men, become unreasonable , because they perceive that they have nothing to lose.

Old 01-15-2010, 12:43 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,450,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
The Democratic Party has sank to incredible lows when the puppets are screaming from the mountaintops "Success! Success!" over a 49% approval. Are you even listening to what you're saying? Seriously.

Save your breath AeroGuyDC, some of us understand the magnitude of such a bill, and some choose to stay in the dark, nothing you can do. This Democratic Party is the worse, and the administration, is lower then low.

Old 01-15-2010, 12:52 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,450,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordDC View Post
How do you define "honest effort?" If it means compromising principles for the sake of political expediency, then I agree the Republicans did not make an honest effort to work with Democrats on health care reform. I don't recall the Democrats being locked out of negotiations on any bills when the GOP held the majority. I just love the current DC climate of openess and transparency.
How true in what you say, good statements. These Democracks, have a mind of their own, with there own agenda's and seem to make there own rules, openess you say WHERE? I Seem to recall in some of Obama's speeches, he was going to be a different kind of President, open and fair minded, and bi partisian, don't make me laugh here.

Old 01-15-2010, 01:02 PM

2,196 posts, read 1,995,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
Tony Soprano on tv is cool. Tony Soprano in the WH? Not so much.
Keep Up The Good Work cobolt ..... / Lamar

Old 01-15-2010, 01:08 PM

Default The "Imaginary Openness" In The DINO"s Minds" !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
How true in what you say, good statements. These Democracks, have a mind of their own, with there own agenda's and seem to make there own rules, openess you say WHERE? I Seem to recall in some of Obama's speeches, he was going to be a different kind of President, open and fair minded, and bi partisian, don't make me laugh here.
Greetings,

california-jewel your words contain much wisdom ! / Lamar

Old 01-15-2010, 01:24 PM

Default "The Day Of Retribution" Perhaps Just Around The Corner !

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorhugo View Post
I also have a Japanese friend who married a westerner. An American actually. ME! It's been 48 years now and counting, Fortunately , I'm not presenttly backed up against the "broken" heath care system as she's in reletively good health. I, on the other hand, was coasting along impervious to age until around age 60ish when a succession of maladies upon my body visited me. One heart condition, four operations and two diseases defeated and last September I found myself engaged with non-Hodgkin's follicular lymphoma. Stage 3B - aggressive. I never flinched and rapidly educated myself and commenced aggressive chemotherapy to deal with it. I'm upright and ambulating with my noodle in full-open mode so no complaints. I'm now approaching the end of that and will have it soon in long-term remission after which I shall, set about curing it naturally. It's all about attitude. I only relate this to note that my saving grace is that as a Navy veteran I'm fully covered by the VA. I'm fortunate to be close to one of the best-rated of the VA medical centers and use my knowledge of the system to advocate for myself and negotiate the system to work FOR ME.

My wife is relegated to Medicare, so may well become an Oba-maniac victim. We're in our 70s, so that means rationed care for her by the system. It also means care denied and I do not fool myself about that. It is, for me, further vindication that the loonies that support him must be deaf, dumb and blind in their very souls as they are in the same boat as we are in and Resident Evil is the Captain locked up in his secure wheelhouse navigating us all into shoal waters. Should we fail to turn out this congress come November, it WILL MARK THE BEGINNING OF THE END. Will I stand idly by while my wife lives under the Sword of Damocles hung by a feeble thread by Mr. Resident Evil? Not if I have anything to do about it. I've made my personal determination and have in the past been contacted by others who feel similarly. I openly predict that if he retains power through control of congress you will start to see assassinations of political figures indiscriminately at every level with NO END in sight. Commitments have been made. It's intentionally NOT organized and indiscriminate and anonymous as possible, but the first event will sound the call. No amount of martial law will stop it and the Resident Evil will not escape his fate. Just peruse the various 'net forums/sites and all the sincere patriotic anger. It's a groundswell that's been building since Shamnesty in the Bush years...believe it.

The arroganty stupid and powerful have not reckoned with the fact that you can only push free men so far. Then reasonable men, become unreasonable , because they perceive that they have nothing to lose.
A Gem Of A Post !!! Your last paragraph is most profound and speaks volumes about the possible nighmare to come !!!
"BRAVO" doctorhugo !... Keep up the great work. / Lamar

Old 01-15-2010, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorhugo View Post
Why accuse me of being dishonest and threaten to post videos? Straining at the bit of denial to be contentious. Post the damned things along with the dates. I hope they are not redacted and spliced together vids from prejudiced sources produced to give a one-sided impression for I'll corroborate all the content before responding. I didn't just fall off a turnip truck heading to market and understand that BOTH interests on the left AND right do such all the time, a reality which you do not even acknowledge.

I may post the many videos substantiated by verifiable quotes of Great Leader assuring all of us of transparency and a new commitment to openness such as that which Brian Lamb of C-SPAN, hardly a "right-winger", publicly called him out on. His response of obfuscation and worse was rather revealing and disgraceful for any President, but after all he is a national disgrace. On second thought, rather than waste space I'll itemized his LIES with dates and source corroboration noted. Get ready to respond to a laundry list of lies by Great Leader.

This could get uncomfortably enbarassing Mr. padcrasher as Great Leader is hung by the tongue for all to see.

Obama promises transparency and rule of law
He announced these measures in his first address to the senior White House staff, who were administered an oath in this regard by Vice President Joe Biden.

These steps are aimed at establishing firm rules of the road for my administration and all who serve in it and to help restore that faith in government without which we cannot deliver the changes we were sent here to make, from rebuilding our economy and ensuring that anyone who's willing to work can find a well-paying job, to protecting and defending the United States and promoting peace and security," Obama said
"However long we are keepers of the public trust, we should never forget that we are here as public servants, and public service is a privilege. It's not about advantaging yourself. It's not about advancing your friends or your corporate clients. It's not about advancing an ideological agenda or the special interests of any organization," Obama said.
Referring to his speeches made during the election days, Obama said: "We need to make the White House the people's house, and we need to close the revolving door that lets lobbyists come into government freely and lets them use their time in public service as a way to promote their own interests over the interests of the American people when they leave." [My comment: Enter SEIU head Andy Stern, who took Obama's nod and wink on that assurance and simply NEVER registered as a lobbyist as he commenced to beat the most well-travelled wear path on the White House carpeting of any visitor to date. CUTE!]
Source: SEIU’s Stern Tops White House Visitor List - Washington Wire - WSJ.

Any former lobbyist working in his administration, the individual would not be able to work on matters or in the agencies where he lobbied during the past two years and if they leave his administration they would not be able to lobby in his administration as long as he is President, Obama said.

Obama said the way to make government responsible is to hold it accountable. And the way to make government accountable is to make it transparent so that the American people can know exactly what decisions are being made, how they're being made, and whether their interests are being well served.

He also issued fresh directive on how to interpret the Freedom of Information Act as a result the officials and agencies would have to lean toward making information public instead of coming up with legal justification for withholding it.
[My comment: "The administration has refused to honor a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request from the Chicago Tribune for Freddie Mac board minutes from when White House chief of staff Rahm Emanuel was a director. It has ignored multiple FOIA requests for White House visitor logs, including one from its pet network, MSNBC. It denied an FOIA request for documents on a treaty on intellectual property rights. It refused an FOIA request for documents related to the Troubled Asset Relief Program bailout. And as far back as June, Newsweek featured a headline saying "Obama Closes Doors on Openness" because of loopholes making its disclosure guarantees "astonishingly weaker" than those under President Clinton.
Infamously, the administration also tried to punish the Humana insurance company for the sin of communicating with its own customers. It told an Arizona sheriff he couldn't tell the press about his roundup of illegal immigrants. It has declined to cooperate with bipartisan congressional requests for hearings with its policy "czars." And of course, it is participating in closed-door negotiations on health care despite Mr. Obama's famous pledge to work out the details in front of TV cameras."
So Mr.padcrasher..., the sham continues and gets wearisome in the recollection of his hypocrisy and mendacity.
Source: Transparent nonsense - Washington Times

"The Freedom of Information Act is perhaps the most powerful instrument we have for making our government honest and transparent, and of holding it accountable," he added.
"The old rules said that if there was a defensible argument for not disclosing something to the American people, then it should not be disclosed. That era is now over. Starting today, every agency and department should know that this administration stands on the side not of those who seek to withhold information, but those who seek to make it known," Obama asserted. [My comment: The CRU stands for the ClimateResearchUnit. Since the second half of the 1970s the Unit has also received funding through a series of contracts with the United States Department of Energy </wiki/United_States_Department_of_Energy> to support the work of those involved in climate reconstruction and analysis of the effects on climate of greenhouse gas </wiki/Greenhouse_gas> emissions. Therefore, it would come under the FOIA umbrella. In 2009, Roger Pielke submitted a FOIA request for that very same station data. He was told by the same Phil Jones (noted in the sourced article):
Data storage availability in the 1980s meant that we were not able to keep the multiple sources for some sites, only the station series after adjustment for homogeneity issues. We, therefore, do not hold the original raw data but only the value-added (i.e. quality controlled and homogenized) data.
In other words we don't have the raw data anymore it has been deleted.
In 2005 he bragged that he would delete the data before he would give it up to a FOIA request. In 2009, following a FOIA request the CRU claims the raw data has been deleted. A reasonable person would infer that the data was intentionally deleted to subvert FOIA requests. This seems sufficient cause for a criminal investigation. Great Leader as ignored this inconvenient truth as it goes against his Cap and Trade agenda and has NOT ordered such an investigation by his AJ. OOPS!]
Source: http://wizbangblog.com/content/2009/11/25/the-fudge-factor.php

"Going forward, any time the American people want to know something that I or a former president wants to withhold, we will have to consult with the attorney general and the White House counsel, whose business it is to ensure compliance with the rule of law," he said.
"Information will not be withheld just because I say so. It will be beheld -- withheld because a separate authority believes my request is well grounded in the Constitution," Obama said. [My comment: STOP THE MUSIC MAESTRO! I'm no lawyer, but I recognize obfuscation when it is defined for me and this is a beaut. It will "be beheld -- withheld"...Are you kidding? That stands alongside the infamous "It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is" from another of your former idols. And "because a separate authority believes...blag blah blah...". This guy is one piece of work!]

"Let me say it as simply as I can. Transparency and the rule of law will be the touchstones of this presidency," Obama said [My comment: Let me say as simply as I can Mr. padcrasher that this assurance is the perfect finish to his prior obfuscation and two-step-side-step dance he did in the previous line. You really picked a winner with this clown.]
Source: Obama promises transparency in administration

December 10, 2009 - Harry Feels The Hurt!
Ouch! That must hurt as I use a source here we right-wingers refer to as the CommunistNewsNetwork and even their poll confirms the obvious. Do you think this might indicate that the Tea party folks are not right-wing crazies and are more a broad-section representation of the American public? Just thinking out loud.
CNN finds 61 percent oppose Obamacare
Mark Tapscott http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/bios/26406784.html
Editorial Page Editor
12/10/09 3:44 PM EST
No wonder Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid is desperate for a weekend off from the health care reform debate. A new CNN survey finds that 61 percent of the respondents oppose the Senate version of Obamacare. Yes, that's a CNN poll, not one from Fox News or Scott Rasmussen.

Check out these three queries:
* "Do You Generally Favor [The Senate Health Care Bill] Or Generally Oppose It? … As you may know, the U.S. Senate is considering a bill that would make major changes in the country's health care system. Based on what you have read or heard about that bill, do you generally favor it or generally oppose it?"Favor 36% Oppose 61%."
* "Do You Think The Federal Budget Deficit Would Or Would Not Increase? … If a bill similar to the one that the Senate is considering becomes law, do you think the federal budget deficit would or would not increase?"Would Increase 79% Would not Increase 19% No opinion 2%"
* "Do You Think Your Taxes Would Or Would Not Increase? … If a bill similar to the one that the Senate is considering becomes law, do you think your taxes would or would not increase?" Would Increase 85% Would not Increase 14% No opinion 1%"
You can read the entire CNN survey questions and results here. <http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/images/12/10/rel18h.pdf>
Source: CNN finds 61 percent oppose Obamacare | Washington Examiner
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
December 16, 2009 - Sanders Blasts GOP For Obstruction

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vLJ6xObc_o

GOP: Dems Violated Senate Rules By Cutting off Reading of Sanders Amendment
The American Spectator :
AmSpecBlog : GOP: Dems Violated Senate Rules By Cutting off Reading of Sanders Amendment
By Philip Klein The American Spectator : Staff : Philip Klein on 12.16.09 @ 4:05PM
The Senate Republican leadership believes that the parliamentarian allowed Democrats to violate the rules of the Senate by allowing Sen. Bernie Sanders to cut off the reading of his single-payer proposal.
When an amendment is introduced, it has to be read on the Senate floor unless the rest of the Senate agrees to cut off the reading, and typically, the requirement is waived through "unanimous consent." Yet today, Sen. Tom Coburn insisted that Sanders' 767 page bill be read on the Senate floor, which was on pace to take more than 12 hours.
But about three hours into the reading, Sanders withdrew his amendment, and this stopped the reading of the bill -- even without unanimous consent.
"In allowing Sanders to do that, it appears the parliamentarian has broken the standing rules of the Senate," a Republican aide emails. "We're looking into the implications of this and working on where to go from here."
Here is the relevant part of Riddick's Senate Procedure, which the GOP believes Democrats have violated, emphasis was in the email:
"Reading: Under Rule XV, paragraph 1, and Senate precedents, an amendment shall be read by the Clerk before it is up for consideration or before the same shall be debated unless a request to waive the reading is granted; in practice that includes an ordinary amendment or an amendment in the nature of a substitute, the reading of which may not be dispensed with except by unanimous consent, and if the request is denied the amendment must be read and further interruptions are not in order; interruptions of the reading of an amendment that has been proposed are not in order, even for the purpose of proposing a substitute amendment to a committee amendment which is being read. When an amendment is offered the regular order is its reading, and unanimous consent is required to call off the reading." (Riddick’s Senate Procedure, P.43-44) <http://www.gpoaccess.gov/riddick/24-125.pdf>
"It looks like there’s nothing the Democrats aren’t prepared to do to jam this unpopular health care bill down the throats of the American public," the aide writes.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In the face of all this you still have the cahones to say this:

To be "in the room" does not mean you have to have voted FOR any particular bill. It means that THEY also represent a portion of the people and by slamming the door on them they slam the door ON THOSE PEOPLE THEY WERE ELECTED TO REPRESENT. There is NO DEFENSE against the TRUTH. It is not ignorance or malice, it is the TRUTH. YOU are defined by the height of disingenuousness in how you twist the facts about. You don't even do it artfully. You're all too obvious just like those you support.
Outstanding Post !!! Hopefully some of these pathetic folks will actually read your material and possibly come to grips with many of these startling facts ..... Thanks / Lamar

Old 01-15-2010, 01:52 PM

1,599 posts, read 2,948,835 times
As stated earlier, it appears that public support for this bill is about 50% at this point (give or take). Why are those who are opposed repeatedly saying that Americans don't want this bill when roughly 1/2 of us do?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies