Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2010, 05:48 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,023,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Then you're a homophobic hater who deserves to be fined and imprisoned!

Just kidding.
Whatever!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2010, 06:00 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
You are forgiven my friend but I had to call you out on that. Although my school did not have the greatest communications program, it greatly improved my writing skills and ability to work in a deadline-oriented environment. Both of these skills I took with me to work in an unrelated industry.
After you and I had our "conversation", I talked w/my daughter about this and she said that some communications majors at her college were similar to journalism degrees and some were much less rigorous.

Old 01-17-2010, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
After you and I had our "conversation", I talked w/my daughter about this and she said that some communications majors at her college were similar to journalism degrees and some were much less rigorous.
She's correct as some are more focused on the "theory" of communications while others are focused on journalism, public relations, advertising, and other mass media fields (my program was a combination of all these areas as I chose not to specialize).

Old 01-25-2010, 10:33 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,534,474 times
Default pro-choice doesn't want you to see this ad on Super Bowl

I guess pro-choice means to them you only get to choose what they agree with and nothing more. True Femanazis
Womens groups urge CBS to drop Tebow Super Bowl ad - NFL News - FOX Sports on MSN
A national coalition of women's groups called on CBS on Monday to scrap its plan to broadcast an ad during the Super Bowl featuring college football star Tim Tebow and his mother, which critics say is likely to convey an anti-abortion message.
The ad -- paid for by the conservative Christian group Focus on the Family -- is expected to recount the story of Pam Tebow's pregnancy in 1987 with a theme of "Celebrate Family, Celebrate Life." After getting sick during a mission trip to the Philippines, she ignored a recommendation by doctors to abort her fifth child and gave birth to Tim, who went on to win the 2007 Heisman Trophy while helping his Florida team to two BCS championships.
"I know some people won't agree with it, but I think they can at least respect that I stand up for what I believe," Tebow said. "I've always been very convicted of it (his views on abortion) because that's the reason I'm here, because my mom was a very courageous woman. So any way that I could help, I would do it."

Old 01-25-2010, 10:38 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,674,422 times
I don't often use the word "hate", but man, I hate censorship. I don't care if it's an anti-abortion message or a GoDaddy ad featuring jiggly girls and big boobies, everybody should be able to speak their minds and advertise however they want. Censorship sucks.

Old 01-25-2010, 10:39 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,919,758 times
that was her choice.. she had a choice... pro life people want to take away choice... she chose to keep the baby and he turned out to be a football star.. great! that's life.. not that football really contributes anything of substance to society or humanity.. but it's a great story.. nonetheless it is her story and not everyone's and everyone else has their choice to make too.. so get off your soap box
don't like abortion don't abort your fetus...as someone who is pro choice, I fully support the ability you have to choose to keep your child and I think it's wonderful

any other dead horses we have to beat in the name of god?
seriously though it gets old.. you lost your premis almost 40 years ago.. move on

Old 01-25-2010, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
I guess pro-choice means to them you only get to choose what they agree with and nothing more. True Femanazis
Womens groups urge CBS to drop Tebow Super Bowl ad - NFL News - FOX Sports on MSN
A national coalition of women's groups called on CBS on Monday to scrap its plan to broadcast an ad during the Super Bowl featuring college football star Tim Tebow and his mother, which critics say is likely to convey an anti-abortion message.
The ad -- paid for by the conservative Christian group Focus on the Family -- is expected to recount the story of Pam Tebow's pregnancy in 1987 with a theme of "Celebrate Family, Celebrate Life." After getting sick during a mission trip to the Philippines, she ignored a recommendation by doctors to abort her fifth child and gave birth to Tim, who went on to win the 2007 Heisman Trophy while helping his Florida team to two BCS championships.
"I know some people won't agree with it, but I think they can at least respect that I stand up for what I believe," Tebow said. "I've always been very convicted of it (his views on abortion) because that's the reason I'm here, because my mom was a very courageous woman. So any way that I could help, I would do it."
I know of at least one person who opted not to abort when the doctors predicted a dire prognosis. Both mother and her healthy teenage daughter are blessed that she did not choose abortion.

Old 01-25-2010, 10:49 PM

805 posts, read 774,298 times
Quote:
Pro-Death Groups will not be happy until they can completely murder (abort) every thought, speech or action that affirms life!

Old 01-25-2010, 10:52 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,534,474 times
OK, you danced around the real topic without addressing the elephant in the room. What's your opinion of these women's groups trying to get CBS to not air the commercial? I thought only religious nutjobs did things like that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
that was her choice.. she had a choice... pro life people want to take away choice... she chose to keep the baby and he turned out to be a football star.. great! that's life.. not that football really contributes anything of substance to society or humanity.. but it's a great story.. nonetheless it is her story and not everyone's and everyone else has their choice to make too.. so get off your soap box
don't like abortion don't abort your fetus...as someone who is pro choice, I fully support the ability you have to choose to keep your child and I think it's wonderful

any other dead horses we have to beat in the name of god?
seriously though it gets old.. you lost your premis almost 40 years ago.. move on

Old 01-25-2010, 11:01 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,919,758 times
Quote:
OK, you danced around the real topic without addressing the elephant in the room. What's your opinion of these women's groups trying to get CBS to not air the commercial? I thought only religious nutjobs did things like that.
I don't believe that censorship is the proper way to achieve anything..
but I also don't believe that people should be able to purchase air time to push commercials that manipulate issues facing society.. I mean if you want to address the issue... address it.. don't play upon people's emotions to get them to join your cause.. because no matter how many people you get to agree with you.. it doesn't make it right for you to take away someone else's choice...even if it's 299,999,999 to one... that is not how america works..

so to answer your question, I don't agree that the commercial should have been stopped by the feminist left wing group..they were wrong to shut down an opinion.. that is anything but liberal...
but I do believe there is a time and place for everything.. and throwing the issue out there in front of superbowl fans is not the time or the place...

everything has a political driving force in this country.. it can't just be a god damn foot ball game.. no.. somebody's gotta push some damn agenda in hopes of passing law to favor their view of things and tug at the heart strings of people and prey upon their emotions to get them to vote their rights away whether it be liberal or conservative stances...anyway I digress
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies