Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 07:48 PM

1,648 posts, read 2,560,981 times

Advertisements

If researchers confirm that bigotry is either genetic or innate due to differences in the brain when the person is born, would that change your opinion as to if their behavior is disgusting or not?

I am wondering because I think it isn't a choice, I think you are born that way. So if you are born that way, then do they deserve sympathy and it can't be their fault that they have such tendencies.

So would it change your mind on whether their behavior is disgusting if this is proved by medical science?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2007, 08:19 PM

3,413 posts, read 8,839,909 times
Wow..........interesting question. It's hard to imagine bigotry not being a choice- and not something that could be overcome. And I despise bigots.

I'm sure there is the arguement that child molestors and other sexual deviants may have some kind of innate or genetic reason for their propensity to abuse....... and whether it's ever proven or not, their actions would be no less disgusting in my opinion. So I have to say that bigotry is abhorrent, regardless of how or why it originates.

Some molesters are castrated so they stop abusing. Maybe bigots can be lobotomized so they stop spreading hate.

Old 05-24-2007, 11:04 PM

179 posts, read 120,051 times
Gays will be gays because that's who they are.

Bigots will learn to be bigots, because of their environment and exposure.

Old 05-24-2007, 11:26 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,140,391 times
We are forgetting to include that perhaps some personality traits are carryovers from other life experiences. To me, this is a logical explanation for why certain children exhibit talents that they've never been exposed to, or why an adult might have an affinity for all things Chinese, for example. I think many things that form our personality are sourced in places we currently don't consider. Perhaps there is a karmic reason.

I do believe that bigotry is a learned behavior and not the product of genetics. Of course, if they find a gene that promotes hate for certain groups in the human psyche, I might change my mind. I just consider it extremely unlikely.

Old 05-25-2007, 05:34 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,260,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sous777 View Post
Gays will be gays because that's who they are.

Bigots will learn to be bigots, because of their environment and exposure.
People learn to be homosexuals because of their environment and exposure. . .

Old 05-25-2007, 05:46 AM

3,413 posts, read 8,839,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spunky1 View Post
People learn to be homosexuals because of their environment and exposure. . .
No they do not. There are hundreds of people who had homosexual urges and were confused by them because they never knew or heard of being homosexual before. And many parents can tell that their young children will end up homosexual------ and many homosexual adults can admit that they knew when they were young that they were different.

You can't teach homosexuality......... just like you can't teach decency, spunky1. Too bad for you.

Old 05-25-2007, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate girl View Post
No they do not. There are hundreds of people who had homosexual urges and were confused by them because they never knew or heard of being homosexual before. And many parents can tell that their young children will end up homosexual------ and many homosexual adults can admit that they knew when they were young that they were different.

You can't teach homosexuality......... just like you can't teach decency, spunky1. Too bad for you.
PirateGirl because someone disagrees with your POV you must attack them? Too bad for you.

Old 05-25-2007, 07:10 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,126,326 times
I know what the word bigotry means, but it confounds me to think that the act of bigotry would be innate or genetic.

If one observes the young we see little bigotry, but we do see aggression.

A complex, and confusing issue human behavior, and not likely to be sorted out in the next few decades.

Old 05-25-2007, 07:18 AM

Um, I think the OP was being sarcastic.

Old 05-25-2007, 07:29 AM

1,135 posts, read 3,983,378 times
It'll never be proven, because there is nothing to prove.
This question has a lot if subtle racist innuendo in it.
If you put 5 different very young kids in a room with a box of Legos,
an hour later you will come back and something will be built and
they will be laffing and having fun.

Kids are born perfect. It takes adults to ruin them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies