Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2010, 01:50 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
Well, that's what the HD of HDHP stands for...high deductible, lol.
I think the deductible was $10,000, HSA eligible. Unless we had an unusual year medically we'd still save money on OOP costs with the HDHP plan. $12,000 a year for premiums (plus co-pays and deductible) or $3600 with the risk that we'd have to pay $13,600...yeah, that's a risk worth taking for us and most people.

No, that was the total premium cost of the plan for our family of 4. Actually I think it was $309. The coverage is comparable to the employer plan we have from work...co-pays for office visits and RX, etc. but no co-insurance, total OOP is the deductible, $10,000. The only items not covered (not an issue as we don't want/need them anyway) are: Maternity coverage, chiropractic, mental health.
So this is a back-up insurance for your other ins?

You might be surprised about the mental health part.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2010, 01:57 PM

1,418 posts, read 3,456,525 times
Quote:
Well, that's what the HD of HDHP stands for...high deductible, lol.
I think the deductible was $10,000, HSA eligible. Unless we had an unusual year medically we'd still save money on OOP costs with the HDHP plan. $12,000 a year for premiums (plus co-pays and deductible) or $3600 with the risk that we'd have to pay $13,600...yeah, that's a risk worth taking for us and most people.

$5000 deductible...I know some plans consider that a 'high' deductible but it's not worth to pay the extra premiums just to get the lower deductible. Some employer sponsored plans have $5000 deductibles and those aren't even HDHP/HSA plans. I think ours is currently $2500 (up to two people) so could be $5000.

No, that was the total premium cost of the plan for our family of 4. Actually I think it was $309. The coverage is comparable to the employer plan we have from work...co-pays for office visits and RX, etc. but no co-insurance, total OOP is the deductible, $10,000. The only items not covered (not an issue as we don't want/need them anyway) are: Maternity coverage, chiropractic, mental health.
Guess what, a plan is a HDHP if it has a minimum deductible of $1,150 for self and $2,300 for self-and-family coverage. So yes a $5K deductible is considered "high".

Where are you getting this plan?

Old 01-21-2010, 02:03 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,064,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
So this is a back-up insurance for your other ins?

You might be surprised about the mental health part.
We had the policy quoted for several reasons but in the end we chose the company plan. It's good to know the options that are available and that there are affordable options for us out there. We looked at plans with lower deductibles or no co-pays but that's when it gets expensive. It doesn't even make sense, in most cases, to pay the extra for the 'better' plans when you can pay less overall for an HDHP plan. Granted, the plan costs vary greatly depending on where you live, but most people don't want to pay much OOP...they want low deductible and low/no co-pays, they want the Rx's covered, etc.....that makes the plans very expensive. By paying a little bit OOP you can save THOUSANDS on premiums, dump that money into an HSA to make your insurance coverage complete.

And thanks, but we're very mentally healthy. That's an area that we would feel comfortable risking not having coverage, understanding that if we did ever need it we'd have to pay OOP.

Old 01-21-2010, 02:09 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,749,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I was referring to the difficulty of getting insurance if you have pre-existing conditions.
Difficult but not impossible. If you have a spouse that has family insurance through his job then you can get coverage. If you don't have a spouse with a good job then perhaps there is not an option for you. My daughter has coverage and lots of pre existing conditions, before that she paid for COBRA. Hugely expensive but she made sure she did not lose her coverage. Some people may not have coverage right now but I am sure we will fix these things without screwing up health care for all.

Old 01-21-2010, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Well, ar least Obama has told Dems to not try to jam through the old HC bill. He is telling them to wait for Brown to be seated and then try a smaller bill.

Obama urges pared-back health care bill - Health care reform- msnbc.com
Obama urges pared-back health care bill

Obama urges lawmakers not to try to jam a bill through Congress
He deserves credit for that. Maybe the dems won't lock the republicans out of the next round table talks. We would love to see reform but not have to reduce our standard of living for it.

Old 01-21-2010, 02:15 PM

Quote:
No, Republicans fought for status quo, and that is their "gift" to the nation. You'll just have to budget accordingly.
We did not fight for the status quo. The democrats in MA sent a very loud message regarding this insane bill. They have had enough and thank God some democrats can see through the facade of reform this bill was supposed to represent. We want reform just as badly as you do. So your gift to the nation would be to reduce the living standards of whomever makes a wage for your benifit.

Old 01-21-2010, 02:16 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,858,215 times
Quote:
We had the policy quoted for several reasons but in the end we chose the company plan. It's good to know the options that are available and that there are affordable options for us out there. We looked at plans with lower deductibles or no co-pays but that's when it gets expensive. It doesn't even make sense, in most cases, to pay the extra for the 'better' plans when you can pay less overall for an HDHP plan. Granted, the plan costs vary greatly depending on where you live, but most people don't want to pay much OOP...they want low deductible and low/no co-pays, they want the Rx's covered, etc.....that makes the plans very expensive. By paying a little bit OOP you can save THOUSANDS on premiums, dump that money into an HSA to make your insurance coverage complete.

And thanks, but we're very mentally healthy. That's an area that we would feel comfortable risking not having coverage, understanding that if we did ever need it we'd have to pay OOP.
Well good luck with you plan. I can assure you that your insurance company has statistically determined at what point any claims you make reach the point where you are no longer an asset. When that point is reached, that warm blanket will be abruptly pulled away. That is true of all of you that have private insurance coverage. That point could be relatively small or large, depending on how much you pay. Obviously the more you are willing and able to pay, the longer it will take to reach that limit. But they all have a limit. It's nice to think you are not accident prone or impervious to Cancer, but the fact is, you are susceptible to those and many other extremely expensive problems.

Old 01-21-2010, 02:16 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,266,002 times
I don't have any employers insurance.

I don't have any government supplemental insurance.

I do have a private, premium paid insurance (by me) insurance.

No Medicare EVER for me

Old 01-21-2010, 02:19 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,858,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post

No Medicare EVER for me
Here come the next "ward of the state".

Old 01-21-2010, 02:19 PM

1,418 posts, read 3,456,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post

No Medicare EVER for me
and how much does it cost you and what do you get for it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies