Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 08:37 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,797,803 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post
No, no one should pay more. That is not really fair, especially if they have a pre-existing condition or a persistent medical problem. Only those who do not use the system for each one year period would receive a tax credit. With the later, they can still use private insurance/hospitals but since they are not using a government social program, they receive the benefit of the doubt.

I should clarify that everyone would be required to enroll in single payer, but those who wish to go private can do so, but still pay for single payer (with the tax credit for non-use of course). That way if they do lose their job or insurance policy, they are not left out in the cold and have contributed to the system in some way already..
So you're cool with those who go to the doc for every sniffle and stopped up nose?

The whole "That is not really fair,especially if they have a pre-existing condition or persistent medical problem" whine is pretty null and void once you read where I said:
Quote:
I'm all for hypochondriacs paying more but not for say a person with cancer or diabetes
. I think we can both agree that cancer or diabetes is a pre-existing condition, no?

I'm all for everyone being covered but I have to appeal to the right-wingers and bash those who lose their job, lose their insurance policy, etc. Of course they think the "free market" takes care of everything so why even talk about safety nets? Some on the right don't even want to pay a cent to the single-payer system so I'm trying to give them a way out. They can give all their money to Blue Cross/ Blue Shield, CIGNA, Aetna, etc. for all I care.

I think the vast majority of Americans would enroll in a single-payer health care system if given the choice. The sad part is we aren't even given a choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2010, 08:50 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,039,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
So you're cool with those who go to the doc for every sniffle and stopped up nose?
Well, since longer waits to see a doctor are common under such systems, coupled with the fact that people are admitted based on severity of condition, people who would go to the doctor for every sniffle simply because it is free would stop doing so. I would hope that receiving cash back in the form of a tax credit would help provide incentive not to visit the doctor for every little paper cut.

Quote:
The whole "That is not really fair,especially if they have a pre-existing condition or persistent medical problem" whine is pretty null and void once you read where I said: . I think we can both agree that cancer or diabetes is a pre-existing condition, no?
All I am saying is that everyone should pay the same rate, even people who utilize the system more than others. While lifestyle choices do affect your health, many other factors beyond our control come into play as well.

I think we are actually in agreement, or so I thought. Must be the alcohol affecting my ability to structure my sentences properly..

Quote:
I'm all for everyone being covered but I have to appeal to the right-wingers and bash those who lose their job, lose their insurance policy, etc. Of course they think the "free market" takes care of everything so why even talk about safety nets? Some on the right don't even want to pay a cent to the single-payer system so I'm trying to give them a way out. They can give all their money to Blue Cross/ Blue Shield, CIGNA, Aetna, etc. for all I care.
All I was saying is people who chose private insurance should also still pay for single payer. That way if/when they do lose coverage or their job, they still have health coverage.
Quote:
I think the vast majority of Americans would enroll in a single-payer health care system if given the choice. The sad part is we aren't even given a choice.
We can only speculate on how many people would chose the single payer plan over private insurance.. I suspect most of the people who would chose private over single payer would be upper middle class or wealthy.

Old 01-20-2010, 08:57 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,246,228 times
Quote:
Thought it's not the single-payer system I hope for, any kind of bill that cuts down the gravy train for health insurance companies and Big Pharma is great!

Obama, Dems consider pared-down health care bill - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_health_care_overhaul - broken link)

Now we are getting somewhere. A few more things I would like to add is the ability to buy insurance across state lines and tort reform.

Add in Dorgan's amendment as well, let people buy their drugs from anywhere on Earth. Here is a link talking about it, the Dems killed it to save their deal with big Pharma....

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/0..._n_302235.html

Old 01-22-2010, 12:45 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,846,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XodoX View Post
Oh yeah, the insurance companies love you. They don't want your money at all. They want to provide you with a cheap and fair plan. That's all they want, of course. It is always just about you, not the money. They don't want to drop you when you need the coverage. How could we not have known?

You didn't even notice it. Single payer would cover everybody. It would cover old AND young, not only the older population. You can not compare single payer and medicaid.
I see you picked up on my sarcasm, pretty well.

Or did you?

I think you did.

Old 01-22-2010, 12:48 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,846,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post
That is not what I meant.. What I meant was, someone who is in perfect health is not going to be visiting the doctor/hospital on a regular basis, and therefore should not pay as much into the system as someone who visits weekly.
Much like social security. I don't draw it but I pay it. And when it's time for to draw it, it will be bankrupt. Just. Like. Healthcare.

We're running out of doctors. And nurses. That's why we import them from the Phillipines.

Old 01-22-2010, 01:20 PM

4,604 posts, read 8,237,863 times
Maybe they'll just offer it as a health care co-op...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpevc...layer_embedded

Old 01-22-2010, 02:12 PM

37,152 posts, read 42,260,441 times
Copayments are an attempt to keep people from overusing the system. Does that work?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies