Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The Confederate Flag is a symbol of:
Racism, slavery, and segregation 129 49.62%
Southern culture, history, and freedom 131 50.38%
Voters: 260. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 02:42 PM

1,313 posts, read 1,551,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus Podgorny View Post
And people who think the Swastika represents anti-semitism are undoubtedly nazis

You guys crack me up!
Actually, if you honestly stop and think about it, that analogy is backwards.
Let's see:
A tyrannical dictator invades another land for the purpose of conquering and eliminating a particular group of people.
Sounds like Lincoln to me.....

Old 01-27-2010, 02:50 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,343,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmikeman View Post
In addition to the snow its folks like him/her that make the north a cold nasty place.
The true scientific reason the North is cold and snowy, is the South sucks and Canada blows

Old 01-27-2010, 02:52 PM

2,422 posts, read 2,280,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
You really have no idea what you're talking about do you?

Buffalo Soldier - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Black Soldiers in the Civil War

There were plenty of black soldiers who fought during the civil war on both sides Union and Confederate.
Buffalo Soldier did not come along until after the war and he is historically correct about black soldiers. Wiki doesn't give all the details and I think you could find a better source. Funny how they used Black troops to fight Native Americans.

Last edited by aveojohn; 01-27-2010 at 03:15 PM..

Old 01-27-2010, 03:01 PM

621 posts, read 1,054,371 times
I think some of the most fascinating of stories relative to the Black Heritage of the times comes from the micro society of the Gens de Couleur.
Gens de Couleur

Quite accidentally, I read the book "Feast of All Saints", by Anne Rice since at the time I was newly enchanted by the writer. Link to Book

Old 01-28-2010, 05:29 PM

3,359 posts, read 7,327,231 times
What does the Conferderate Flag mean to me?....
The most honest, and best answer I can give is...

Depends on who's flying it....(top that if you can)

Old 01-28-2010, 05:55 PM

3,378 posts, read 5,011,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time and Space View Post
What does the Conferderate Flag mean to me?....
The most honest, and best answer I can give is...

Depends on who's flying it....(top that if you can)
THANK YOU!

Old 01-28-2010, 07:31 PM

8,877 posts, read 13,918,925 times
The flag represents a virtual license for all kinds of crackpots to whine about their personal issues. Sorry, but unless someone outlaws the flag, then both sides will continue their support or disgust accordingly.

Grab a stick y'all; I see a deceased equine over there!

Old 01-28-2010, 08:53 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,300,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessLove View Post
I want nothing to do with Mississippi. Born and raised here unfortunately.

Yes and some of our southern whites still like to fly it. And every white person that I've met who flies the flag was a racist.
than you need to move out my dear before it consumes you.........I hear Arkansas is better

Old 01-28-2010, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DraggingCanoe View Post
Regarding your comment "should have done a better job of fighting" How many years did it take Grant to capture Vicksburg?

There are numerous reports Yankee soldiers running and screaming for their lives after hearing the Rebel Yell. Yankee soldiers were terrified of General Thomas Jackson. The Union army suffered more battle deaths than the Confederates.

You should read a book.
You been readin way to many current revisionist text and history books my young lad.

IT didnt take Grant YEARS to capture Vicksburg, just months.
and a lot of those good ole southern boys surrendered to. IT wasnt to the death.
THere have ALWAYS been reports of troops running in combat. If you havent been there dont point the finger.
I saw more than one American infantry man run in fright in Vietnam,
I also saw many a NVA run in fright.
They wernt terrified of Ole Stonewall.just respectful of his abilities........

Old 01-28-2010, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aveojohn View Post
A lot of people think the primary cause of the civil war was slavery.Slavery was only one issue of many, the main reason the civil war fought, was over secession of the south over states rights.
your right of course, it was ALL about states rights..........States rights to own slaves...................a hateful, institution, one that harmed the very fabric of the concept of this nations founding and one that still breeds bitter discontent in the hearts and minds of many an AMERICAN citizen today black and white.
Our black brothers should get over it and us whites should stop rubbing it in their faces.........especially with the flag
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies