Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The Confederate Flag is a symbol of:
Racism, slavery, and segregation 129 49.62%
Southern culture, history, and freedom 131 50.38%
Voters: 260. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 08:32 AM

17 posts, read 12,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
You might want to open your mind and heart a little, and appreciate that your opinion, no matter how strongly held, is not necessarily the only opinion.

Same goes for you. I'm just answering the OP's question.

So what if people want to fly the confederate flag? Let them. SO what if people are longing to go back to the Jim Crow and Antebellum days? Let them. So what if people want to join an organization to celebrate their ancestors fighting in a war that really doesn't have anything to do with them? Fine by me. It doesn't affect me any other way.

I wish the poll had an option for both choices though.

Old 02-16-2010, 08:41 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanGurl View Post
So what if people want to fly the confederate flag? Let them. SO what if people are longing to go back to the Jim Crow and Antebellum days? Let them. So what if people want to join an organization to celebrate their ancestors fighting in a war that really doesn't have anything to do with them? Fine by me. It doesn't affect me any other way.
And who is "longing to go back to the Jim Crow and Antebellum days" (which are two very separate periods by the way, it really should be "or", not "and")? People celebrate their ancestors all the time. There are people who celebrate their ancestors who came to this country on the Mayflower. There are people who celebrate their ancestors who survived the Holocaust. There are people who celebrate their ancestors who once ruled various European countries.

You came to this thread and stated quite affirmatively that the Confederate flag only stands for very negative things. Then you state you don't care when it's pointed out that there are people who are of the opinion that there were positive things in Southern history, and the Confederate flag symbolizes those things.

Old 02-16-2010, 08:42 AM

3,378 posts, read 5,009,620 times
Quote:

But the poll DOES have options for both choices. And trust me, the after effects of the Civil War are still felt today, much of our government's current size is because of the North's victory. And the SCV (Sons of Confederate Veterans) is just as relevant as the SUV (Sons of Union Veterans). So what's your point?

Old 02-16-2010, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post
You are entitled to your opinion, but GOOD LORD how can someone be this ignorant!?

The SCV has no intention of continuing slavery, but remembering the history of the Confederacy, your assessment is rife with half truths and not thinking critically.

Have you even been down south?
Almost missed your post there.

I'm not saying that white southerners are racist.
Believe me, I won't forgot the history of the confederacy either. And I think no one will just sit up there and forget about the men who fought in the Civil War. Last time I checked, the Civil War was still being discussed in classrooms all across the USA. Slavery is still a sensitive topic to talk about in classrooms, I know I volunteered in several schools.

I was born in Charleston, South Carolina, lived there until I finished high school. I now live in Long Island, NY. Planning on moving to Atlanta, GA next year. I just love that city even more every time I visit.

Old 02-16-2010, 08:48 AM

3,378 posts, read 5,009,620 times
Quote:
Almost missed your post there.

I'm not saying that white southerners are racist.
Believe me, I won't forgot the history of the confederacy either. And I think no one will just sit up there and forget about the men who fought in the Civil War. Last time I checked, the Civil War was still being discussed in classrooms all across the USA. Slavery is still a sensitive topic to talk about in classrooms, I know I volunteered in several schools.

I was born in Charleston, South Carolina, lived there until I finished high school. I now live in Long Island, NY. Planning on moving to Atlanta, GA next year. I just love that city even more every time I visit.
OK, now I see, but in my opinion the flag is objective in it's meaning, it's meaning is the difference in opinions between yours and mine.

It's neutral.

Old 02-16-2010, 08:49 AM

148 posts, read 550,340 times
The flag is American history. It does not mean slavery nor non freedom. People need to really get to know history. the slaves in that era was better taken care of then any whites or others up north. I am not racist .Family fought each other like mine north and south because Mr. Abe wanted to combine the USA as one. The reason people who voted in other surveys about the flag is because of what they heard or read the most slavery So, read up on history ad you will find the truth and guess what The North had slaves to until the Federal government out lawed it. And it was the Rich who had the slaves black white Native American so on. So Yep I am from the north and I have both flags fling high in my yard for the respect of each family who fought on both sides of America Civil War . And I live in the South And I`ve been hear for 4 years and The South gets alot of crap from the other part of our country. All the state in our country have skeltons in the closet. But, nobody wants to hear that or read about it.

Old 02-16-2010, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
And who is "longing to go back to the Jim Crow and Antebellum days" (which are two very separate periods by the way, it really should be "or", not "and")? People celebrate their ancestors all the time. There are people who celebrate their ancestors who came to this country on the Mayflower. There are people who celebrate their ancestors who survived the Holocaust. There are people who celebrate their ancestors who once ruled various European countries.

You came to this thread and stated quite affirmatively that the Confederate flag only stands for very negative things. Then you state you don't care when it's pointed out that there are people who are of the opinion that there were positive things in Southern history, and the Confederate flag symbolizes those things.
Okay, they can celebrate their ancestors all the want. Both the good and bad.

The title of this thread was "What does the Confederate flag represent to you?" - I gave you my opinions. If you don't like them, then tough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post
But the poll DOES have options for both choices. And trust me, the after effects of the Civil War are still felt today, much of our government's current size is because of the North's victory. And the SCV (Sons of Confederate Veterans) is just as relevant as the SUV (Sons of Union Veterans). So what's your point?
I am not implying that one organization is better than the other. It just that of course the SCV will get negative remarks just because of what they stand for. So it's obvious that a lot of people feel the same way about the flag that I do.

Old 02-16-2010, 10:00 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
Quote:
Okay, they can celebrate their ancestors all the want. Both the good and bad.

The title of this thread was "What does the Confederate flag represent to you?" - I gave you my opinions. If you don't like them, then tough.

I am not implying that one organization is better than the other. It just that of course the SCV will get negative remarks just because of what they stand for. So it's obvious that a lot of people feel the same way about the flag that I do.
I appreciate that you gave your opinion. I appreciate that you took the time to participate. I take issue with your opening contribution: "Everyone knows what {the Confederate flag} stands for---Racism." Everyone? Really????

Old 02-16-2010, 10:04 AM

392 posts, read 559,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyofnorth View Post
The flag is American history. It does not mean slavery nor non freedom. People need to really get to know history. the slaves in that era was better taken care of then any whites or others up north. I am not racist .Family fought each other like mine north and south because Mr. Abe wanted to combine the USA as one. The reason people who voted in other surveys about the flag is because of what they heard or read the most slavery So, read up on history ad you will find the truth and guess what The North had slaves to until the Federal government out lawed it. And it was the Rich who had the slaves black white Native American so on. So Yep I am from the north and I have both flags fling high in my yard for the respect of each family who fought on both sides of America Civil War . And I live in the South And I`ve been hear for 4 years and The South gets alot of crap from the other part of our country. All the state in our country have skeltons in the closet. But, nobody wants to hear that or read about it.
Gideon said
The original one is history; not the remake embellished by the KKK and other hate groups. So which flag do you speak of this onel; if so, maybe perhaps a lesson in history should be taught here.http://www.picvault.info/images/53322_KKK-ConfederateFlag.jpg (broken link)

Old 02-16-2010, 10:07 AM

392 posts, read 559,754 times
Quote:
Everyone knows what the flag stands for.

For me it stands for:

Segregation:

Slavery

Hatred towards blacks

The KKK

And countless of other white southerners who are proud of their heritage just to separate the country and continue on with slavery.

Some pride huh?

And those SCV idiots are also responsible for silly liscense plates like these:

How far are they going to go just to express their hate?

Gideon said, I fully agree; anyone that supports the confederate flag is definately a moron and most likely a racist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies