Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The Confederate Flag is a symbol of:
Racism, slavery, and segregation 129 49.62%
Southern culture, history, and freedom 131 50.38%
Voters: 260. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 04:50 PM

135 posts, read 139,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Ah - see my reply to Mary Phagan's post for the bigger picture.
Thanks, but I wasnt asking you.

A number of things do, including other romanticized harebrained bloodbaths throughout history, key nouns of which can be substituted for Mary Phagan's in his rhapsody without so much as a bump.
Bohemian Rhapsody? Your words are so big, Delusianne. I digress when I read them. Pardon me.

Old 02-18-2010, 11:07 PM

392 posts, read 559,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpt757100 View Post
Americans are so ignorant! The south was right in 1861 just like they would be right now! Not one single American can state that the Federal Government has its citizens best interest at hand! I want no part with the cruel and evil u.s. government! The government has its own agenda!

People are quick to overlook the fact that President Lincoln's only concern was to save the Union and could care less about slavery! The south's main concern was over state's rights and not so much about slavery!

And yes the north had slaves has well! All of the slave ships carried the American Flag and not the Confederate Flag! The slave ships were owned and operated by northern businessman!

Treason for what! Standing up against an evil empire! The government cares more about foreigners then its own citizens. I would love to see this nation break apart and trust me there is a huge movement going this way! Our politicians are so corrupt and have their own agenda! Americans are getting fed up!

People need to read the book titled "Why the South Was Right"!

Gideon said, so your answer to America's social ills is to fly a confederate flag, waved by neo natzi groups and resurrect the ways of the bad south; that is even a better solution right? Wrong, it is the job of government to rule the people and control them. As time ventures on the controls only worsens; it is inevitable. Don't blame the US Governments social ills on the fact that they kicked the souths butt; by the way, if it had not been for great Negro soldiers the north probably would not have been so victorious. Praise God they kicked the south's butt.

Old 02-18-2010, 11:14 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,343,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyHolliday! View Post
It represents neither Racism, slavery, and segregation or Southern culture, history, and freedom.

It does however represent a side that got its ass kicked by the north
Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord

Old 02-19-2010, 05:41 AM

646 posts, read 801,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
For Dixieland,Ill take my stand,to live and die for Dixie,away,away,way down south in Dixie

Old 02-19-2010, 05:41 AM

17 posts, read 12,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpt757100 View Post
You have no idea what you are talking about! Who is trying to defend slavery?????? Not one single Confederate Flag ever flew over a slave ship! The only flags to fly on the slave ships was the American Flag, or how about the fact that the slave ships were owned and operated by northern businessman and not southerners! The official flag of the KKK is the American Flag, so should we get offended every time we see the American Flag?

The Confederate Flag is only another sorry excuse the blacks in this country use to continue to be lazy! For the black community to rise up they must take ownership of their issues and stop blaming others! Just like a drug addict will never ever recover until he stops blaming others for his own problems!

What in the heck does a black person under the age of 45 know about oppression? Nothing, its only an excuse! Once again lets all get offended over the official flag of the KKK, which is the American Flag!
I wasn't refering to history, just refering to a couplee of posters on here. But thanks for the repeated words on people who don't think the flag is racist. Which is okay.I honest to God don't have a problem with people flying them.

FYI, I am a black professional woman who is far from "lazy". And your comment, now THAT is something that I do find offensive.

Old 02-19-2010, 07:01 AM

32 posts, read 67,010 times
Default Third Person

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I know this is off-topic, but I have to ask, is there another forum where the participants have to post in third-person narrative fashion?
I've got no clue, but it's getting annoying.

Old 02-19-2010, 07:27 AM

32 posts, read 67,010 times
It's true that it was recognized that the new states and territories would likely become free states, and the South knew that slavery was not going to last in perpetuity. they had known this for decades.

“Those ideas, however, were fundamentally wrong. They rested upon the assumption of the equality of the races. This was an error.
"Our new Government is founded upon exactly the opposite ideas; its foundations are laid, its cornerstone rests, upon the great truth that the negro is not equal to the white man; that slavery, subordination to the superior race, is his natural and moral condition."

-- "The Cornerstone Speech," Alexander H. Stephens, March 21, 1861, Savannah, Georgia,

I agree. The South knew slavery would not and could not last. As for the North doing most of the importing of the slaves, that too is correct. William McKay, lived in Savannah, he died before the Civil War, however; When it became illegal to import more slaves (circa 1820, you'll have to look up the exact date yourself) there were come factors that did in fact illegally import them.

There were many, many young men that fought for the South that were not of the priviledged planter class. North Carolina was the last state to join the Confederacy and their article of Secession doesn't mention slavery until the third paragraph. You can't tell me that some farmers son went and fought and died for slaves, when they didn't even own any. This originally started out as a states right issue. What pushed it over the edge, in my opinion, was when they executed John Brown and turned him into a martyr.

Here's the link where you can read about the NC Secession documents.
"A Free and Independent State": North Carolina Secedes from the Union..

Try as I might, I still don't see that it pertains to today's lifestyle. It's over and hopefully we have learned something from that history, as I'd like not to be doomed to have to repeat that lesson in my lifetime. I still don't care where the Confederate Flag is flow. I have my opinions just as everyone else has theirs, and while I don't have to agree with anyone, I DO have to give them the right to voice it.. That's true freedom, realizing that my rights end where someone else' rights begin. All things being equal and all that, I don't want anybody to be stifled, but I also understand one other point. Had women had the right to vote in 1860, this mess probably wouldn't have happened in the first place, oh wait.. we women were no more than property until the early 1900's.. what do we know? <wicked evil grin>

Old 02-19-2010, 07:57 AM

130 posts, read 265,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanGurl View Post
I wasn't refering to history, just refering to a couplee of posters on here. But thanks for the repeated words on people who don't think the flag is racist. Which is okay.I honest to God don't have a problem with people flying them.

FYI, I am a black professional woman who is far from "lazy". And your comment, now THAT is something that I do find offensive.
Thanks for your response! Really thank you! Believe it or not I do have black friends, my neighbor is black and when we talk social issues I tell him the same thing! The funny thing is that he agrees with me most of the time! This man makes six figures and he has stated he would never be in this position if he would have blamed the white man for all of his downfalls. When ever a door slammed in his face he blamed himself and said that he has to better himself! He did not sit back and blame the white man for not getting a job or promotion. He looked at himself and stated what do I need to do to better myself and guess what? It worked for him! As it probably worked for you!!!!

I think the black community that constantly blames the white man for their downfalls does a huge disservice to people like you and my neighbor (professional African Americans)! The black community has to look themselves in the mirror and take ownership of the problems in their community and as long as they blame others the problems will never go away! One can not blame others and expect to fix their problems!

I'm glad to hear you are not offended over the Confederate Flag because as I stated earlier the only flag to fly on top of slave ships was the American Flag and not the Confederate Flag. Plus we can not go around banning our outlawing everything that we find offensive because every single American has something that offends them. Could you imagine if we banned or outlawed every single thing we found offensive???? We would have no freedoms left!

Old 02-19-2010, 08:43 AM

6,734 posts, read 9,343,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary phagan View Post
For Dixieland,Ill take my stand,to live and die for Dixie,away,away,way down south in Dixie
Touche

I love those traditional songs.

Old 02-19-2010, 08:58 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,164,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feezy914 View Post
you might be just as ignorant or even more than the people you "think" the confederate flag represents
This is a typical response on this board from the "Southern pride" lot: attack and insult the poster for stating his/her opinion. Feezy 914, you may not like it but millions of people see the Confederate flag as standing for a tradition of racism and hate. Why put quotes around "think"? You see it one way, others see it another way. Once you dare to accept that you'll be able to discuss the topic without fear and shame.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies