Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 02:58 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,946,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandyrn0224 View Post
I was going to say the same thing but was afraid to say it! Never know, somebody might call me a LIBERAL or something!
It should have nothing to do with being a Liberal or whatever. Some things are just the way they are...we need to find the problem and work toward fixing it. Examples from other Countries that have been...actually Conservative in their banking laws , even though they are labeled Liberal, should be something for us to look at. If not , we will be doomed to repeat it , again and again, just like Groundhog day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2010, 03:00 PM

2,229 posts, read 1,687,997 times
Quote:
I can bring up whatever I wish to in response to another post.
As can I

Quote:
It's as valid as someone losing their home because they bought a 500k home instead of the 100k one they could afford.
No its not. Its not even close. Responsibility is the key factor between the two. In the scenario that somebody bought more house than they can afford, they are responsible when they can't make the payment. If somebody is subjected to medical expenses, that is something out of their control and thus they are the victim.

To act like you threw that tid-bit in there randomly without any knowledge of the raging healthcare reform debate is simply attempting to pay the forum as an idiot.

Quote:
Another tsk tsk'er..you don't know what it's like til it happens to you...God forbid, of course...
And if it came down to me losing my home because of a medical condition that I had to pay for... thats life. The home that I live in is not a guarantee, and I don't get a pass at my financial obligations simply because I hit a string of bad luck healthwise. I assume responsibility for myself, and the contract that I signed to pay the bank back. If I was unable to do so, even for reasons outside of my control, I certainly wouldn't take the position that my circumstances alliviate my responsibility.

Old 02-03-2010, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarlilesiu View Post
My point is, that circumstances have lead to foreclosures since lending was first commercialized. Thus, for this discussion, bringing up medical bankruptcy in a discussion on foreclosure is only done so to push THAT political agenda.
Reality , is reality , what ever political bent you come from. For most people their home is all they have left after being wiped out by medical problems. The Bankers , the money folks , will always go for where the money is...just like Willy Sutton ( when asked why he robbed banks ).

Old 02-03-2010, 03:25 PM

1,224 posts, read 1,287,676 times
Quote:
I agree, it IS a privlege. People I know that have been foreclosed on DID plan for the future. A little thing called Cancer wiped them out because they met their lifetime limit with their health insurance carrier. The rest came out of pocket. They either had to pay for the treatments or lose their home.

It's easy to sit back and "tsk tsk" people, but until you are in their shoes you haven't got a clue what people go through. Yes, there are people who don't deserve to buy/own a home and many/most, perhaps, don't deserve second chances because they screwed up. BUT, there are plenty of people who had to make a choice. Imagine...being sick AND homeless.

And no, my "ASSESSMENT" is NOT called living for the d*mn moment. It's called LIFE!!!!!!!!!
Sometimes life is not a box of chocolates.....

Not making light of the medical problems for those you "know", but there are examples thrown out daily which are designed to play on sentiments. In reality, there are far more foreclosures based upon personal irresponsibility than on medical reasons. And there are always exceptions to every statement, but I stand by my assessment that most people fail to plan.

Old 02-03-2010, 03:43 PM

446 posts, read 831,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdne View Post
Sometimes life is not a box of chocolates.....

Not making light of the medical problems for those you "know", but there are examples thrown out daily which are designed to play on sentiments. In reality, there are far more foreclosures based upon personal irresponsibility than on medical reasons. And there are always exceptions to every statement, but I stand by my assessment that most people fail to plan.

This didn't happen to me...your "know" in quotes led me to believe you think it's me. Thankfully, it's not. That's not to say it might not be me one day. I hope not, but you never know. If it matters, it was my next door neighbor and best friend.

I really don't care if people thought I was bringing up an agenda. I wasn't. I was saying what I wanted to, to address the comments that seemed holier than thou. Like, too bad...you shouldn't have bought something you can't afford. Not everyone is lumped into one category. Stuff happens, yes, that is life. No, nothing is guaranteed...but yes, in circumstances like that, all many have is their home. To lose that on top of everything else is beyond cruel.

I GET that the mortgage gig is a business. Yes, they want their money, but sometimes they are willing to help, sometimes they're not. ALL I am saying is that you don't have to be irresponsible for the rug to be pulled out from under you.

I don't know how that fits into an agenda...but some people throw the political card out there no matter what. I meant what I said...I wanted to say the healthcare thing but hesitated because of EXACTLY the RIDICULOUS response it got.

Old 02-03-2010, 03:47 PM

Very few people plan for the " what ifs". It is just good business practice to plan ahead. That said , these days even the largest business ignore the what ifs. Whether it is the " too big to fail" syndrome , or just greed , corporate does not care it seems. Personally many corporate officers will practice good financial behavior , but when it comes to looking out for the long haul , the average Joe , they always revert to the bottom line...all in the name or excuse , of the Stockholders.

Governments role should not be to protect us from ourselves , or to provide a free lunch so to speak. It should be to even the playing field , to provide a standard we all must adhere too, even the big bankers. Having a stop measure when it comes to medical ruin or other unforeseen disaster is only good practice , for the well being of the people as a whole. We all pay one way or the other, for our own mis fortune ...and for our neighbors as well.

Old 02-03-2010, 04:02 PM

Quote:
This didn't happen to me...your "know" in quotes led me to believe you think it's me. Thankfully, it's not. That's not to say it might not be me one day. I hope not, but you never know. If it matters, it was my next door neighbor and best friend.

I really don't care if people thought I was bringing up an agenda. I wasn't. I was saying what I wanted to, to address the comments that seemed holier than thou. Like, too bad...you shouldn't have bought something you can't afford. Not everyone is lumped into one category. Stuff happens, yes, that is life. No, nothing is guaranteed...but yes, in circumstances like that, all many have is their home. To lose that on top of everything else is beyond cruel.

I GET that the mortgage gig is a business. Yes, they want their money, but sometimes they are willing to help, sometimes they're not. ALL I am saying is that you don't have to be irresponsible for the rug to be pulled out from under you.

I don't know how that fits into an agenda...but some people throw the political card out there no matter what. I meant what I said...I wanted to say the health care thing but hesitated because of EXACTLY the RIDICULOUS response it got.
Doesn't bother me...I will say it . Universal health care is the only answer , it will level the playing field. There must be a lot of folks out there...that WOULD be able to keep their Home if it were not for the high cost of health care, regardless if a medical emergency was to play in the mix. Having more income left over at the end of the month could go to making the house mortage...a little easer. Health insurance costs just keep going up and up , wages do not. Not everyone gets their health care from where they work , and many that do , are now paying a larger amount. many small businesses are closing their doors due to health cost, and , that can mean no job , which equals no income , ...can not make the house payment, ...it all comes around and around....back to health care.

Old 02-03-2010, 04:26 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,953,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
Doesn't bother me...I will say it . Universal health care is the only answer , it will level the playing field. There must be a lot of folks out there...that WOULD be able to keep their Home if it were not for the high cost of health care, regardless if a medical emergency was to play in the mix. Having more income left over at the end of the month could go to making the house mortage...a little easer. Health insurance costs just keep going up and up , wages do not. Not everyone gets their health care from where they work , and many that do , are now paying a larger amount. many small businesses are closing their doors due to health cost, and , that can mean no job , which equals no income , ...can not make the house payment, ...it all comes around and around....back to health care.
Does it, or does it come back to other factors such as behavior, choice, and priorities?

One could take the arguement backwards and say that if people did not purchase homes but rented for much less then the money spent on principal and amoritized interest could be saved and later spent on their health needs instead.

Health insurance costs and health care are two different things.

If people in the US were not so litigeous then physicians and hospitals could pay less for malpractice insurance thus the cost of opening the doors to actual medical care every morning would be less.

If people took better care of themselves physically and would take more financial responsibility for their healthcare by enrolling in higher deductible plans and pay more per visit out of pocket health or pay entirely out of pocket for routine yearly exams, then insurance itself may not run as high.

So no, it does not all come back to "Universal healthcare" unless that is the way one chooses to frame his/her arguement. I am never for taking the freedom of healthcare choices out of the hands of the patient and doctors and placing it into a government bureaucracy. However, with freedom comes responsibility and much of that responsibility includes financial responsibility whether it be for housing, for meeting medical needs, for advanced education, or a miriad of other "big ticket items" which comprise our lives.

Old 02-03-2010, 04:55 PM

1,599 posts, read 2,949,435 times
We'll be letting our house go into foreclosure this year. Our house has lost 50% of it's value (no exaggeration) and won't be sellable for many years.

My husband needs to transfer for his job. It comes down to what is more important to our future, the house that is a huge financial liability at this point, or the job that keeps us fed and clothes on our backs?

That's the black and white of it. Some of you will stand the moral high ground and the OP can continue laughing, but sometimes you have to do whatever is necessary to protect the financial solvency of your family, to the best of your ability, come what may.

Old 02-03-2010, 04:55 PM

446 posts, read 831,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Does it, or does it come back to other factors such as behavior, choice, and priorities?

One could take the arguement backwards and say that if people did not purchase homes but rented for much less then the money spent on principal and amoritized interest could be saved and later spent on their health needs instead.

Health insurance costs and health care are two different things.

If people in the US were not so litigeous then physicians and hospitals could pay less for malpractice insurance thus the cost of opening the doors to actual medical care every morning would be less.

If people took better care of themselves physically and would take more financial responsibility for their healthcare by enrolling in higher deductible plans and pay more per visit out of pocket health or pay entirely out of pocket for routine yearly exams, then insurance itself may not run as high.

So no, it does not all come back to "Universal healthcare" unless that is the way one chooses to frame his/her arguement. I am never for taking the freedom of healthcare choices out of the hands of the patient and doctors and placing it into a government bureaucracy. However, with freedom comes responsibility and much of that responsibility includes financial responsibility whether it be for housing, for meeting medical needs, for advanced education, or a miriad of other "big ticket items" which comprise our lives.

Are you so financially stable that NOTHING will EVER take away your financial security? I don't know many people like that, honestly. Maybe the Donald Trump's of the world....but most people scrimp and save, save and scrimp. Just because someone bought a house does not make them big spenders OR irresponsible!!!!!!!!! Last I checked it's CHEAPER and it makes MUCH more sense to BUY a home than to rent long term. Check your data. I can find some for you if you need it....Have you checked the price of RENTAL houses lately? LMAO!!!!!!! Try looking in any urban area of the US....the people that own the house would like to get their mortgage payment/taxes/insurance out of the rent, so, THAT is the price of a mortgage, but you do not own it! Throwing money away is what it is!!!!! You don't get to deduct anything from your taxes with a rental home either! That argument is just SILLY....and uninformed, out of touch with reality..whatever!

People that have never had to make due with hamburger helper for a week or choose between prescriptions and the light bill will never understand. It's too bad that our politicians are those fat cats that make the decisions for the rest of us average people. People that work for a living and do the best they can to do the right thing.

You seem SO far out of touch. I just don't get it. Read your last paragraph. You don't have to be poor to lose everything even if you made the most sound, just financial decisions possible! I don't CARE what we do with health care, it just needs to be fixed somehow so that people aren't placed in the position of losing their homes or losing their lives because they can't afford to pay for treatment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies