Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 05:03 AM

6,233 posts, read 9,488,120 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

As a left leaning--yet devout--evangelical christian, I find myself in a very small minority among right wing churchgoers and secular leftists, making me wonder why so many on the left are NOT religious. I'm not necessarily saying that it's bad, but I'm just curious.

Of course we could also ask why so many churchgoers are right wing, but this is aimed more at the liberals on this board. Well, I have to go to work, so I'll check back later. Thanks for responding.

mackinac
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2010, 05:07 AM

68,343 posts, read 54,462,599 times
I'd describe myself as spiritual rather than religious. Religion is a creation of man, therefore subject to all the flaws and weaknesses of man.

Last edited by burdell; 02-05-2010 at 05:18 AM..

Old 02-05-2010, 05:07 AM

2,311 posts, read 2,831,483 times
It is because the current manifestation of "left vs right" politics has used social issues as a wedge.

Old 02-05-2010, 05:12 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,304,733 times
I have no reason to believe in a god thing. There is no proof. And it doesn't matter to me anyway. Who cares?

I find that many self-professed religious people are trying to force their beliefs into the laws of my country. That's certainly a wedge issue for me.

People are people; they get no special consideration from me because they're religious or not, veterans or not, any color, etc.
I don't feel that one person is more special than any other.

Old 02-05-2010, 05:24 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,264,214 times
Because organized religion is a joke IMO. It is a bunch of people with an agenda who want to push their beliefs on others. Not only that, I have been to church and found it to be incredibly. I have a lot better things to do other than listen to some guy (who probably molests children) preach to me on Sunday mornings.

Old 02-05-2010, 05:27 AM

14,485 posts, read 11,298,897 times
Because religion stops their agenda in it's tracks.

Old 02-05-2010, 05:34 AM

3,088 posts, read 5,359,799 times
Organized religions, of any type, are deeply flawed, and in my opinion, are in the service of special interest groups. Many left leaning people have recognized that the agenda of religious groups has less to do with true spirituality than it does with human greed and the desire to control others, and therefore reject it.

Old 02-05-2010, 05:36 AM

11,762 posts, read 14,670,726 times
I'm not sure atheism is more common on the left, although I wouldn't doubt it.

My first impression is that because both choosing to take leftist political positions, like rejecting religion, involves rejecting what you've been told by the authority figures that run our society. Someone who is willing to simply accept what is being dished out, and not question what they're told, is more likely to follow the establishment line on both politics and religion.

Old 02-05-2010, 05:49 AM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,200,846 times
Default Why are so many on the left NOT religious?

I think that many on the left could be religious, they just keep their spiritual beliefs out of politics. So for instance, they could be christian and personally never ever consider having an abortion... however they do believe in the individual's personal right to choice in the matter. Liberals tend to be thinkers and will form their own opinions and not blindly follow the directives of their church leaders. Liberals believe strongly in the separation of church and state.

Now on the other hand, most black Americans are democrats, and most of them are church-going christians. And for blacks, abortion rights is not as much a concern for them, instead they care very much about their civil rights and having a better quality of life.

Last edited by miu; 02-05-2010 at 06:13 AM..

Old 02-05-2010, 06:29 AM

14,485 posts, read 11,298,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
I'm not sure atheism is more common on the left, although I wouldn't doubt it.

My first impression is that because both choosing to take leftist political positions, like rejecting religion, involves rejecting what you've been told by the authority figures that run our society. Someone who is willing to simply accept what is being dished out, and not question what they're told, is more likely to follow the establishment line on both politics and religion.
You mean like that mad bunch of lefties who call themselves Tea Partiers?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies