Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Click all that apply
I have smoked Marijuana before 105 63.25%
I have not smoked Marijuana before 43 25.90%
I believe Marijuana should be legal 98 59.04%
I believe Marijuana should stay illegal 25 15.06%
Other 7 4.22%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 166. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 09:36 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,247,301 times

Advertisements

I have smoked marijuana probably 5 times in my life. That was when I was in high school, and everyone around me was doing it and they would pressure me to do it with them. I never got any effects of it, so it has been nearly 20 years since I have done it. I would much rather drink and get drunk.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2010, 09:38 AM

454 posts, read 1,407,732 times
28 and never have. (no alcohol either).
i'd do both before i die though....maybe in my 90's :-)

i'd be a 90 year old pot head. lol

Old 02-05-2010, 10:01 AM

4,049 posts, read 5,032,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Let's refresh our memory and who brought us Prohibition, and what it caused.

Just another way of government running our lives for us, creating criminals to fill our jails and run our streets, just like the days of Al Capone and Prohibition. Started by the Progressive era Democrats in Congress and the Senate. Woodrow Wilson actually vetoed it and it went back through legislature and in 1920, you had an illegal profitable business venture. Not unlike today, just on a bigger scale. Gangs and crime. We spend so much taxpayers dollars, chasing the Dragon. Controlling a persons life, is not Liberty.
Marijuana laws began as a way to 'control' the Mexican immigrant population. Hmm.. controlling Mexican immigrants... does that sound like a progressive democrat thing to do? Sounds more like a republican talking point to me.

It was also a state thing at first and on a federal level was not technically illegal until much later.

I think your marijuana history is a bit off. You got the right idea that it's not the government's job to control our lives, though.

Old 02-05-2010, 10:07 AM

1,595 posts, read 2,988,118 times
Once. When I was in high school but didn't inhale. Seriously.
Yes it should be decriminalized and taxed.

Old 02-05-2010, 10:10 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
I believe that if medical marijuana is to be legal that it should be produced under carefully licensed and controlled facilities and dispensed at regular pharmacies as every other controlled drug rather than what we are seeing in Colorado and California.

Old 02-05-2010, 10:19 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,532,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMathYou View Post
I want to see how many people, at least here on CD, have smoked Marijuana before.

Or will publicly admit it!

(I have....boat loads of it.)

Old 02-05-2010, 10:26 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,501,624 times
Legalize it and let's all grow it like cilantro.

Another good thing about Marijuana is; it is a natural pesticide so if you grow it in your garden you are helping your other plants.

Actually no, I made that up...smoke more weed everyone.

Old 02-05-2010, 10:26 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicIsYourFriend View Post
Marijuana laws began as a way to 'control' the Mexican immigrant population. Hmm.. controlling Mexican immigrants... does that sound like a progressive democrat thing to do? Sounds more like a republican talking point to me.

It was also a state thing at first and on a federal level was not technically illegal until much later.

I think your marijuana history is a bit off. You got the right idea that it's not the government's job to control our lives, though.

No. Marijuana laws were put in place under pressure from the wood pulp industry and paper production.

Allowing Marijuana to be made into paper would kill the wood pulp industry.

Old 02-05-2010, 10:34 AM

4,604 posts, read 8,232,791 times
Having been raised a mentally abused christian fundamentalist I'll say I did more for my mental stability smoking pot than any doctor or psychiatrist could have done with prescripton meds.

Ultimately, there's only one reason pot is illegal.

Government interference.

Last edited by WillysB; 02-05-2010 at 10:42 AM..

Old 02-05-2010, 10:42 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,501,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysB View Post
Ultimately, there's only one reason pot is illegal.

Government interference.
Yes, to keep a long answer short; because the government can't profit off marijuana. Pot is a plant and anyone can grow it, so it is very hard to tax. It's like you and I trading some potatoes for carrots in our garden. The government doesn't get their share.

However there is some history to why hemp and marijuana really were banned in the first place and it was based on paper, oil and pharmaceutical companies not wanting it legal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies