Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 01:39 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,949,243 times

Advertisements

The Daily Cardinal - Controversial feminist speaks as part of DLS

Hirsi Ali said she uses her personal experiences as a former Muslim to form her views on the treatment of Muslim women. Originally from Somalia, she fled to the Netherlands to escape an arranged marriage, and began to question much of what she had been taught.

She issued a call to action for all Americans to fight against what she views as a human rights violation, stating the issue is more significant than most people realize.

“We must use intelligence and reason to confront what I see as one of the world’s greatest inequalities: the treatment of Muslim women. This inequality is not only a moral tragedy, but is a threat to global peace.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2010, 01:51 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,330,440 times
I totally agree and have been saying as much on CD.

The left-wingers (not all, but many) like to take the stance that we should not involve ourselves with the "social policies" of other sovereign nations. They like to ignore the blatant human rights violations happening with great frequency in Islamic dominated regions.

Old 02-06-2010, 01:53 PM

37,138 posts, read 42,234,436 times
I really can't get too worked up over the problems in other societies, especially ones that have been around much longer than us. Yes, I feel bad for them. And in some ways they probably feel bad for us. But it's not OUR PLACE to rule the world. Really, it's not.

Old 02-06-2010, 02:08 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,788,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post

The left-wingers (not all, but many) like to take the stance that we should not involve ourselves with the "social policies" of other sovereign nations. They like to ignore the blatant human rights violations happening with great frequency in Islamic dominated regions.
Do not presume ill behavior cloaking itself behind a Koran represents the Koran. Similar statements can be made regarding any religion if we insist on judging the religion and not the individuals misguided by corruption.

I support her right to speak but I disagree with her conclusions. I find it shameful she needs defense from any Muslim, and wish Muslims would police their own over human rights abuses more effectively. I can say the same of Holy See inflaming the mentality of abortion clinic bombers. Honorable practicing Christians and Islamists should not be held on trial for the perversion of their faith because they too are being victimized by extremists. They do need to root those individuals out, however, the same way NRA needs to root out gangsters from it's true purpose.

Old 02-06-2010, 02:22 PM

571 posts, read 943,885 times
Quote:

So what do you think we do, invade their countries and convert them to good ol' US of A freedom, hurrah? Send thousands of our brave young men marching into death for people that don't even live on the same hemisphere as them? So they can be shot at, paralyzed, or even worse killed, and watch as their dreams are destroyed before their very eyes?

Also, true conservatives are isolationists... don't tell me you're pro-life too because what you're proposing would be hypocrisy of the highest degree.

Old 02-06-2010, 02:24 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,158,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post

Hirsi Ali said she uses her personal experiences as a former Muslim to form her views on the treatment of Muslim women. Originally from Somalia, she fled to the Netherlands to escape an arranged marriage, and began to question much of what she had been taught.

She issued a call to action for all Americans to fight against what she views as a human rights violation, stating the issue is more significant than most people realize.

“We must use intelligence and reason to confront what I see as one of the world’s greatest inequalities: the treatment of Muslim women. This inequality is not only a moral tragedy, but is a threat to global peace.”

“""We must use intelligence and reason to confront what I see as one of the world’s greatest inequalities: the treatment of ...""... women ""

"""inequality is not only a moral tragedy"""

The thoughts of most feminists.....

Old 02-06-2010, 02:30 PM

1,364 posts, read 1,929,680 times
I feel the treatment and degradation of women by mooslums as a whole should be viewed in the same light as the atrocities caused by German Nazis during WWII.

Old 02-06-2010, 02:31 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,400,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I really can't get too worked up over the problems in other societies, especially ones that have been around much longer than us. Yes, I feel bad for them. And in some ways they probably feel bad for us. But it's not OUR PLACE to rule the world. Really, it's not.
what about getting worked up over a fellow human? and how is throwing some support behind them trying to rule the world? I 100% support any woman that leaves a muslim culture or any other cult for that matter. I also completely support any man or child that wants to escape.

It is not a religion of peace, it is Islam: Making a True Difference in the World - One Body at a Time

Old 02-06-2010, 02:35 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,168,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post

This is more global "human rights" than first-world, western "feminism."

Still, how refreshing to see a right winger giving the thumbs up to anything regarding human rights.

Old 02-06-2010, 02:37 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,741,511 times
Quote:

she also believes that the world needs to understand that Islam is not a religion of peace, it is a religion of war.

Theo Van Gogh had his head pretty much chopped off in the streets because of the film he made about her writings ... I'd say she's right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies