Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 09:54 AM

3,199 posts, read 4,316,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
The fraud that exists in Medicare is called Medicare Advantage (Medicare Part C) which Republicans overwhelmingly support. What is an abstract idea
is that Republicans even want health care reform
Fact check your talking points.
Here is legislation propossed by an (R) and that was voted down by the (D)'s

Democrats Block Roskam’s Medicare Fraud Prevention Amendment
Reject “Common-Sense, Taxpayer-Protecting” Reform Measure
(http://roskam.house.gov/News/DocumentSingle.aspx?DocumentID=137927 - broken link)
Quote:
The Ways and Means Committee tonight failed to pass an amendment offered by Congressman Peter Roskam (R-IL) that would have substantially combated waste, fraud and abuse in Medicare, Medicaid, CHIP and the proposed government-run health plan. The amendment would have required creating a system of real-time data review, like the credit card industry employs, to prevent fraud and abuse at the point of sale, before money is paid out.

“This common-sense amendment would’ve meaningfully reformed Medicare and Medicaid’s rampant waste, fraud and abuse – which is necessary to reform healthcare and save the hardworking American taxpayer precious money,” said Congressman Peter Roskam. “It’s extremely disappointing, though not altogether surprising, that Democrats have blocked another common-sense, taxpayer-protecting measure to reform healthcare. Under the Democrats’ plan, without this amendment, Medicare defrauders will see open field running for new illicit schemes under a vast expansion of government-run healthcare.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2010, 09:58 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,018,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
A public option would require a mandate in order for health insurance companies to sign on to the idea. A mandate means fines and/or jail time for not complying. Freedom-loving American's understand that this approach is not what we stand for, and will not tolerate..

The only way I'll support a public option is if it doesn't come with anti-American strings attached.
I'm a freedom-loving American too. I already pay income tax and every other tax you can think of, not to mention a Medicare Tax. Don't see much freedom there
I agree, I do not want Insurance Companies mandating anything - don't need a FOX guarding the hen house

Old 02-09-2010, 09:59 AM

3,436 posts, read 2,948,991 times
So I take it that those of you with no insurance or that have a loved one with no insurance would rather die or watch a loved one die than to have the government pay for it? What if it were your child or someone close to you and after paying hundreds of thousands of dollars, they still needed treatment to live, would you watch them die because you have too much pride to accept money from the goverment? I have insurance but if I didn't and it came down to saving my child's life, I would have to put my pride aside.

Old 02-09-2010, 10:03 AM

757 posts, read 802,887 times
It's interesting you left out the line about Democrats increasing the penalties for Medicare fraud. Also Roskams plan seems very vague.

"The Democrats’ bill includes higher penalties for those guilty of healthcare fraud, but does not effectively address the broken pay-first-then-chase payment system."

Quote:
Originally Posted by allydriver View Post
Fact check your talking points.
Here is legislation propossed by an (R) and that was voted down by the (D)'s

Democrats Block Roskam’s Medicare Fraud Prevention Amendment
Reject “Common-Sense, Taxpayer-Protecting” Reform Measure
(http://roskam.house.gov/News/DocumentSingle.aspx?DocumentID=137927 - broken link)

Old 02-09-2010, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by okccowboy View Post
It's interesting you left out the line about Democrats increasing the penalties for Medicare fraud. Also Roskams plan seems very vague.

"]The Democrats’ bill includes higher penalties for those guilty of healthcare fraud, but does not effectively address the broken pay-first-then-chase payment system."
Only if you believe in conspiracy theories.

Roskams proposal prevented payment ahead of the scam, the Dem plan had us chasing the money after the fact,often times outside of the country and/or unsuccessfully, so penalties are moot.

Last edited by allydriver; 02-09-2010 at 10:19 AM..

Old 02-09-2010, 10:09 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,196,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okccowboy View Post
49% of Americans still favor a public option for health care reform, with 42% who oppose. So when Republicans claim that most Americans do not like to current legislation how does that fact figure into the equation? Could it be much of the dislike with the current legislation is because it offers no public option?

Creation of a public entity to directly compete with existing health insurance companies

FavorOpposeUnsure Creation of a public entity to directly compete with existing health insurance companies."

1/28-31/10 Favor:49% Oppose 42% Unsure 9%

Health Policy
'
Ipsos/McClatchy Poll conducted by Ipsos Public Affairs. Jan. 28-31, 2010. N=1,127 adults nationwide. MoE ± 2.9

"The plan could include a government insurance option only for people who can't get private insurance, the so-called public option. Or instead it could have the government negotiate with private insurers to have them offer these people insurance that meets government specifications. Which of these two approaches would you prefer: the public option or the alternative'

Public
OptionAlternativeBoth (vol.)Neither

1/12-15/10

Public option: 47%, Alternative 41%, Neither 8%

ABC News/Washington Post Poll. Jan. 12-15, 2010. N=1,083 adults nationwide. MoE ± 3.5

a poll is just a sampling of people, these polls did not ask 100% of the population what they think, and if they did they would probably find out that people do not want a public option.

Old 02-09-2010, 10:12 AM

89,007 posts, read 44,813,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
The fraud that exists in Medicare is called Medicare Advantage (Medicare Part C) which Republicans overwhelmingly support.
You need to research a little further. The NAACP and LULAC (League of United Latin American Citizens) also overwhelmingly support Medicare Advantage.

The NAACP's and LULAC's positions on Medicare Advantage (MA = Medicare Advantage):

NAACP: "MA plans — private health plan options that provide coverage to 8.3 million Medicare beneficiaries — disproportionately provide coverage to low-income and racial and ethnic minority beneficiaries. Specifically, 40 percent of African Americans without Medicaid or employer coverage rely on comprehensive health insurance coverage provided by MA plans. By providing more comprehensive benefits and lower cost-sharing than traditional Medicare, MA plans help racial and ethnic minority populations gain access to health care services that are critical to their long-term health and well-being."

"Medicare Advantage is vital to the well-being of Hispanic Medicare beneficiaries. According to a 2005 study by Ken Thorpe, Ph.D., [Page: S3671]
of Emory University, Hispanics rely disproportionately on the Medicare Advantage program.
...We are concerned that additional cuts in funding for Medicare Advantage will threaten access to comprehensive benefits, result in higher out-of-pocket health care costs, and create financial barriers to care that will be particularly harmful for Hispanic seniors."
View Appearance | C-SPAN Congressional Chronicle, Created by Cable. Offered as a Public Service.
(NAACP and LULAC letters begin 1/3 of the way down the page)

Why do Obama and the Dems want to screw elderly, lower-income African-Americans and Latin-Americans?

Old 02-09-2010, 10:13 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
I propose an entirely government funded and operated health CARE system without any participation of the private sector insurance companies. The system would be funded by a surtax on the uppermost 15% of the population.

Old 02-09-2010, 10:17 AM

8,630 posts, read 9,135,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
a poll is just a sampling of people, these polls did not ask 100% of the population what they think, and if they did they would probably find out that people do not want a public option.
And the polls will state no public options until 2 out every six dollars is spent on health care. Then those numbers will change. Many folks are young, healthy and feel no need for insurance. Many work for governments with sweetheart deals. Many work for large business with great coverage. And many who have theirs--medicare, medicaid etc. Those numbers are dropping. Today is much different then it was when Clinton wanted change several years ago. Many now are paying premiums equal to their mortgage payments per month.

Old 02-09-2010, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I propose an entirely government funded and operated health CARE system without any participation of the private sector insurance companies. The system would be funded by a surtax on the uppermost 15% of the population.
I propose you pay for mine.
Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies