Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do we work too much?
Yes, a 21 hour work week would make everyone better off 21 19.81%
No, we must work 40 hours a week to maintain this standard of living 31 29.25%
Neutral 8 7.55%
A 30 hour work week sounds more reasonable 46 43.40%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 12:13 PM

631 posts, read 1,291,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
We have been talking about the national government, not local (trash pickup) or state. The national government has the rights to protect what was explicitly defined in the constitution and nothing more. Do you disagree with this? I don't see where in the constitution the idea of research into alternative energy lies. If I am missing something please let me know. I apologize for the tone of my last post. I want to keep this as an intellectual discussion. RVA-Jsn20 - if you have ideas for new technologies in alternative energy as you posted send me a PM. I know a few investors who would consider helping you with startup costs.

I believe in modern society studies like the one in the OP define the current generation. The problem with the world is that we are overworked with only 40 hours per week. The real problem is a lack of personal responsibility. If one takes responsibility for their own life they can make decisions that lead them to do something they enjoy on a day to day basis and not have to worry about government imposing arbitrary limits on hours worked per day. I would personally rather work 80 hours per week doing something I love rather than 21 hours per week doing something I hate.
The national government is also given the flexibility to pass laws that would benefit its people. So what's your point? Just because it wasn't explicitly outlined in the Constitution some 223 years ago doesn't mean it can't be implemented now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2010, 12:18 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,210,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVA-Jsn20 View Post
The national government is also given the flexibility to pass laws that would benefit its people. So what's your point? Just because it wasn't explicitly outlined in the Constitution some 240 years ago doesn't mean it can't be implemented now.
I will PM you. We are getting off topic.

Old 02-15-2010, 12:22 PM

4,145 posts, read 10,430,794 times
Quote:
I fully understand that. But should we just let these businesses push everyone around like cattle or should we fight for our constitutional AND human right to enjoy life (pursuit of happiness). Maybe we just have different outlooks on life.
And so you're saying that schools, the police, firemen, post office, medicare/medicaid, social security, overtime laws, etc were all failures?? Sorry but not everything the government does is a complete failure. If government wasn't necessary, we wouldn't have it.
Using the post office, medicaid and social security to back your argument probably doesn't help, as yes, they're failures. They're all broke, or will be shortly.

Police and firemen are run by LOCAL government.

No corporation or company takes away your right to pursue happiness. Is making 70K a year what makes you happy? If so, you probably need to re-evaluate. The Constitution gives us the right to Life, Liberty and the PURSUIT of Happiness.

It doesn't promise you a flat screen, 3500 sf house and two cars. You're welcome to pursue what makes you happy. It doesn't guarantee your job will make you happy.

If you're not happy, look in the mirror. It's not your boss' fault. It's yours.

Old 02-15-2010, 12:24 PM

8,396 posts, read 9,446,125 times
Thirty hours makes more sense to me.

Old 02-15-2010, 12:56 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,886,289 times
Basical it wouldn;t worj=k because as it now stands only about 505 of teh people actaully financaial support the federal governamnt. Then 69% get more in services than they pay for. Its just a fact that more and more people are dependent on governamnt for their basic survical. If those people quite working your loking at very reduced governamnt for the reason it will not have the resources and we can ;t borrow then.Bascvailly many ofthese people actually work alot more than 40 hrs a week. What we need is ore people whoi catully contribute more by having soemthing to slae that other value as a skill. Until,then the income will always get more and more concentrated because if it does thre wouldn't be anyhting to distribute tot hose who are dependent.

Old 02-15-2010, 01:00 PM

631 posts, read 1,291,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Basical it wouldn;t worj=k because as it now stands only about 505 of teh people actaully financaial support the federal governamnt. Then 69% get more in services than they pay for. Its just a fact that more and more people are dependent on governamnt for their basic survical. If those people quite working your loking at very reduced governamnt for the reason it will not have the resources and we can ;t borrow then.Bascvailly many ofthese people actually work alot more than 40 hrs a week. What we need is ore people whoi catully contribute more by having soemthing to slae that other value as a skill. Until,then the income will always get more and more concentrated because if it does thre wouldn't be anyhting to distribute tot hose who are dependent.
Was that English?

Old 02-15-2010, 01:11 PM

311 posts, read 694,254 times
Did I say I was unhappy, NO.Work dose not define me and I refuse to let it control my life or make me unhappy.I just dont like our countries stigma of people that would rather enjoy the little TIME we have on this earth rather than toiling their entire life for a few plastic trinkets from china.My ATTIDUTE is fine because when I was unhappy I did something about it.

Old 02-15-2010, 01:14 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,145,620 times
Hey, I'm all for it. Just as soon as someone shows me how I can live on $168 dollars a week, I'm THERE, baby.

Of course, if the geniuses that came up with this scheme plan on doubling my hourly wage, that would be even better. LOL I don't see it happening.

20yrsinBranson

Old 02-15-2010, 01:45 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,496,494 times
Quote:
So you are ignorant to everything the government does for you on a daily basis, such as pick up your trash.
oh brother... thanks for the laugh! (or should I being crying)
you mean the overpaid garbagemen, who can even pick up the garbage correctly and leave garbage all over the street???

you mean the garbage SERVICE that I pay LOCAL TAXES for???

btw, the current conversation is about FEDERAL government

but since you asked...41 STATES are going BROKE

Old 02-15-2010, 02:00 PM

11,269 posts, read 11,035,002 times
Before I went back to school full time, I did not know what a 40 hour work week felt like. Working for the railroad, anything less than 50 hpw was unheard of. Anything less than 45 hours was almost like a vacation. It is all in the eye of the beholder.

Most people have to work those hours to support the "American" lifestyle. We thrive on debt. We like our toys. We would not have it any other way!

Sure, we could become like several European welfare states and mandate a 30 hour workweek and 4 weeks a year of guaranteed vacation time, but then our country would definitely go to hell in a hand basket as far as keeping up with countries like China and Japan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies