Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do we work too much?
Yes, a 21 hour work week would make everyone better off 21 19.81%
No, we must work 40 hours a week to maintain this standard of living 31 29.25%
Neutral 8 7.55%
A 30 hour work week sounds more reasonable 46 43.40%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 09:05 PM

1,652 posts, read 2,550,570 times

Advertisements

I don't think we need to mandate shorter work weeks.

I just left a salaried job... 40 hour week? Yeah right... 8-5 or 6, then working at home at night, and weekends.... corporate hamster wheel, I had to get off.

Left and started my own business, can work half as much and make the same amount of money. It also allows me to spend more time with my boy instead of paying someone else to. More time to get exercise and be healthier, walk my dogs, do laundry.

Luckily my wife has a good job with good benefits. Not everyone is as lucky as I am to have a skill that allows this freedom, or a significant other with stable employment she enjoys to provide us the health insurance every family needs. So I do feel blessed.

Of note, my blood pressure has been bad for years and years. A week before leaving my old job it was 186//110. Two days ago, a week after becoming self-employed, it was 120/66.

Last edited by Sporin; 02-13-2010 at 09:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2010, 10:19 PM

1,391 posts, read 2,647,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporin View Post
I don't think we need to mandate shorter work weeks.

I just left a salaried job... 40 hour week? Yeah right... 8-5 or 6, then working at home at night, and weekends.... corporate hamster wheel, I had to get off.

Left and started my own business, can work half as much and make the same amount of money. It also allows me to spend more time with my boy instead of paying someone else to. More time to get exercise and be healthier, walk my dogs, do laundry.

Luckily my wife has a good job with good benefits. Not everyone is as lucky as I am to have a skill that allows this freedom, or a significant other with stable employment she enjoys to provide us the health insurance every family needs. So I do feel blessed.

Of note, my blood pressure has been bad for years and years. A week before leaving my old job it was 186//110. Two days ago, a week after becoming self-employed, it was 120/66.
So you've been self employed for a whopping nine days, and that's enough for you to proclaim that you've found an easier life?

Old 02-13-2010, 10:46 PM

631 posts, read 1,290,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post
No they're not. Unions started with good intentions, but they quickly became bastardized political machines that do more to hurt their members than help.
Is that so?...

Old 02-13-2010, 11:08 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,877,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVA-Jsn20 View Post
Not really. France is the 5th largest economy in the world and is a rather tiny country, so I think they're doing just fine

List of countries by GDP (nominal) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But as the French presdient said not long ago ;our system discourages work. In fact teh franch busget is not OK;one reason they could propose any real stimulus or agree to Oabma plan when they meet. The eureopean countries bascially said that amount would dribve them to the brink of crisis with teh debt.If you think our oleagcy cost inteh future is bad with Socail Security.medicare and medicid ;its nothing compared to that facing the european countries.They could easy go beyond the GDP in what is required to actually pay for governamnt spending.That is bascially what is happening to greece and likely to with spain.

Old 02-13-2010, 11:39 PM

3,536 posts, read 5,908,694 times
I commute about 50 miles each way for my job. From suburban Riverside County to suburban Orange County, it's about 45min-1hr going to work and about 2-3hrs coming back. I recently thought of all the families that do that commute (or similar). In many parts of the nation 40-50 miles isn't that bad. But in large metro areas with LOTS of traffic this isn't too good. I think that it's important for parents to engage with their children. I'm not a parent, but I work with children...autistic children. The ones with the higher success rates have parents highly involved. Having a 30 hr work week would do wonders in having parents be involved in their children's life. I was lucky to have parents in education. They came back home by the time I was out of school. So they made sure I did my homework, my dad coached my soccer teams as a kid, and my mom would fix snacks for any friends that came over after school or practice. So my dad, as a high school teacher worked 35 hrs a week (not including prep at home)...and my mom worked about 15-20.

60 hrs with a family, unless need be, is a little intense. As a single person, I say do it if you have the energy (I've done the 65 hr work week...it sucked).

Old 02-14-2010, 01:49 AM

241 posts, read 252,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post
No they're not.
Hey, you're wrong.
Go look up the National Labor Union, the National Colored Labor Union, the Knights of Labor, and the American Federation of Labor. Then go look up what happened during the anthracite coal strike of 1902 and the Haymarket affair.

You owe your 8-hour work to the efforts of unions.

Old 02-14-2010, 05:12 AM

955 posts, read 2,158,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ah yes of course View Post
Define "benefits"
For purposes of this discussion sick time off with pay, paid vacation, health care plan (at whatever level of coverage they get at a 40 hour week). I'll skip the things like paid child care, free legal, etc. Since most people need / expect these benefits they must be paid for somewhere. The answer is not government, for government does not pay the taxes required to support this.

Old 02-14-2010, 05:28 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,226,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVA-Jsn20 View Post
BBC News - Cut working week to 21 hours, urges think tank

I think this would be a great way to increase productivity, decrease stress, improve quality of life, among many other things. We would have more time for family and to do chores, cook healthy meals, and just enjoy life more. I think this would be a much better idea than to let people retire at age 40, which there was a thread about not too long ago. HOWEVER, 21 hours just doesn't seem like enough to keep somebody busy, in my opinion we should start by going to 30 hours and then see how that works out. What do you guys think??
A complete disaster for hourly wage workers

Old 02-14-2010, 07:46 AM

311 posts, read 694,224 times
Default yo kevcrawford

Kevcrawford so just do what you love, hum so america can support 25 million actors or 100 million rock bands?The sad reality is that most jobs/careers out there people will not like.The few "fun enjoyable" jobs dont pay squat.If you land a fun fullfiling job/career then you've won the employment lottery.And starting your own buisness is a gamble as most fail within 3-5 years.People have to learn to settle for the crap work as there is just not enough "follow your passion" jobs out there.The one alternative is to live a simple,frugal uncluttered, FREE life.But good luck selling matrialistic masses.

Old 02-14-2010, 07:47 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,645,820 times
I know people that work full time 40 hours a week, and have another part time job in the evening, or a small business they do after their employed job and weekends/days off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies