Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2010, 03:24 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,193,095 times

Advertisements

Do Interracial relationships still bother you?

Still? Is this like the question, "do you still beat your wife?"

No, they have never bothered me, however, interspecies relationships I have always found most unsettling and supremely disturbing.

Old 02-14-2010, 03:25 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,020,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
Why does this have anything to do with what I said? Why are you putting words in my mouth? I never said anything about superiority.

Why is it that if a person in this forum or anywhere talks about being proud of being white, they are attacked. But if a person talks about being proud of being mixed, that there is silence. And in many cases, there is cheerleading. Do you not find it hypocritical? And I am going to start that thread, I would like it very much if you came in and defended me.
Because white pride has had an ugly history in this country of oppressing people from other races that they deem to be inferior. Personally, I am not even into all this "racial pride" stuff as we are all part of the same race (human) and none of us had any say as to what racial group we were born into so there is nothing to be prideful about.

Old 02-14-2010, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Why does this have anything to do with what I said? Why are you putting words in my mouth? I never said anything about superiority.

Why is it that if a person in this forum or anywhere talks about being proud of being white, they are attacked. But if a person talks about being proud of being mixed, that there is silence. And in many cases, there is cheerleading. Do you not find it hypocritical? And I am going to start that thread, I would like it very much if you came in and defended me.
By the way Red, you are of mixed ancestry so where is your pride in your native American heritage?????

Old 02-14-2010, 03:28 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h0tmess View Post
LOL! No no, I grew up in Philly so by all means am I not new to other races!! I was thinking how weird that growing up within an all white family, there may be this little black kid and he's going to be blood related. I hope I didn't come off as ignorant, but I think that's a fair thing to say/feel!
sweetheart, that situation is as old as time. Many supposed white people and actual white people have nonwhite relatives. Just look at George Bush, John McCain, Thomas Jefferson, and millions of other Americans...........

Old 02-14-2010, 03:30 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,208,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
Because of the traits we possess. As if that isn't obvious.
You are correct, humans are defined by their fairly similar traits. Anything that is "human-like" is considered human. But what does that really mean? Neanderthals were human-like, they are our nearest relative. So do you believe neanderthals are human? Why or why not?

Many people believe that neanderthals are not human, not because of any particular gene they posess. They just say that neanderthals are "too different" from humans to be considered humans. Which is probably an accurate way of looking at it.

But that begs the question, How different is too different? And who gets to decide the threshold in which, anyone outside of it is not considered human? There are White supremacists that believe that anyone who isn't Caucasian isn't human. Are they wrong? Why? Because some scientist(another faulty human) said differently?

There is no clear definition of humanity, and if you say that because we have similarities that we are human. Then practically everything could be considered human. We define what is and what isn't human, and that definition could be anything we want it to be.

Old 02-14-2010, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Secondly, why is it that only whites being proud of being white is a loaded concept? Why is it that people get so defensive because whites are proud of being white? Why do whites get forced into being ashamed of being white? While everyone else gets to walk around showing off theirs like a badge of honor. Do you see the hypocrisy yet? Are you ready to start thinking for yourself or do you want to continue to be told what to think by the so-called "intellectuals"?
Because of the legacy behind the concept of white pride. I don't think whites should be ashamed of their heritage (I know I'm not) but I'm not going around saying I'm proud to be white either. What's there to be proud of anyways - no one had any control over what racial group they were born into so all this racial pride stuff is foolishness and divisive. All races and culture have something valuable to offer this country.

Old 02-14-2010, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadScribe View Post
I'm a lady, so no "sir" needed here

I've pretty much lost your point. You feel whites get forced into being ashamed b/c they're white. You feel everyone else gets to walk around showing off their heritage like a badge of honor. Well, maybe dig into your genealogy and discuss more about what part of your ethnicity you are proud of, because "white" in the current lingo is a box to check that represents many, many different ethnic origins. If you're proud of something in your genealogy, by all means, proclaim it.
He is very selective in terms of what part of his geneology he is proud of considering that he is part Native American.

Old 02-14-2010, 03:33 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,172,561 times
Quote:
You are correct, humans are defined by their fairly similar traits. Anything that is "human-like" is considered human. But what does that really mean? Neanderthals were human-like, they are our nearest relative. So do you believe neanderthals are human? Why or why not?

Many people believe that neanderthals are not human, not because of any particular gene they posess. They just say that neanderthals are "too different" from humans to be considered humans. Which is probably an accurate way of looking at it.

But that begs the question, How different is too different? And who gets to decide the threshold in which, anyone outside of it is not considered human? There are White supremacists that believe that anyone who isn't Caucasian isn't human. Are they wrong? Why? Because some scientist(another faulty human) said differently?

There is no clear definition of humanity, and if you say that because we have similarities that we are human. Then practically everything could be considered human. We define what is and what isn't human, and that definition could be anything we want it to be.
Are you suggesting that other species have the same brain that we do? If not, I don't see what you're getting at.

Old 02-14-2010, 03:35 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times
Quote:

Secondly, why is it that only whites being proud of being white is a loaded concept? Why is it that people get so defensive because whites are proud of being white?
Could it be because these concepts have led to colonialism and exploitation and slavery and genocide and the Holocaust? White pride in itself is not ideological; white pride combined with white supremacy is dangerous and has been detrimental to this planet.

Quote:
Why do whites get forced into being ashamed of being white? While everyone else gets to walk around showing off theirs like a badge of honor. Do you see the hypocrisy yet? Are you ready to start thinking for yourself or do you want to continue to be told what to think by the so-called "intellectuals"?
If you're ashamed of being white, the only thing you should do is work to assure that the notion of white supremacy is eradicated from the Earth.

Old 02-14-2010, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Secondly, you said you were proud of your ethnicity. And I don't see anything necessarily wrong with that. But you believe anyone(or almost anyone) who says they are proud of their white ancestry is saying it for some "loaded" reason. And I can guarantee you that the majority of the people on these forums would agree. Which is why anyone who talks about being proud of being white is attacked. But anyone who talks about being proud of being mixed is praised.

Do you not see the hypocrisy?

How can things like black history month(which promotes and shows our differences) help unite us? The truth is, to be proud of your heritage is to acknowledge there are differences between us. And by doing that, you are perpetuating a LACK of unity.

Of course that lack of unity only applies as long as there are "different" people occupying the same territory. Otherwise, the acknowledgement of races, ethnicities, cultures, religions, languages, etc, means absolutely nothing.
Black history month and other African-American celebrations exist because of the legacy of slavery and discrimination in this country because they were viewed as "inferior" by those who celebrated their white pride.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies