Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support a single-payer system in the U.S.?
Yes 27 34.18%
No 33 41.77%
Maybe.... 3 3.80%
I like the German system 2 2.53%
I like the French system 6 7.59%
Yes, if it's voluntary to join 5 6.33%
Other [in comments] 3 3.80%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 09:06 AM

7,545 posts, read 8,330,440 times

Advertisements

Of course there are major problems with our health care system, but the increases in premiums is a direct effect of the increasing costs of medical care. Why doesn't anyone see this? We need to focus on decreasing the costs, not just doing away with those evil insurance companies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2010, 09:06 AM

6,734 posts, read 9,344,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Queen View Post
I think there needs to be a happy middle ground. I do NOT want a government run health-care program, I do want serious reform for health Insurance Companies. The problem is that with the Dems it is all or nothing. Government runs nothing effectively. Pass laws that will place certain restrictions on health insures but don't freakin try and take over the whole system.
Single payer health insurance is not government run health care. It's government run health insurance.

Old 02-18-2010, 09:09 AM

6,734 posts, read 9,344,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
Of course there are major problems with our health care system, but the increases in premiums is a direct effect of the increasing costs of medical care. Why doesn't anyone see this? We need to focus on decreasing the costs, not just doing away with those evil insurance companies.
I agree, costs need to be controlled/reduced and the whole industry (coverage and care) needs to be much more efficient.

Do think any operating costs will be passed on to the consumer?

Old 02-18-2010, 10:11 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,168,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post

You do realize many insurance companies deny people the option to buy their insurance. There are many people out there who WANT to pay for health insurance but the insurance company refuses to sell them insurance.

Then you have the people who work full time jobs but their employer doesn't offer health insurance and they can't afford health insurance OR they are denied health insurance due to a pre-existing condition (which I am sure EVERYONE has).

I am under no illusions that a single-payer system will be free. It does however offer LOTS of savings that our current system cannot offer us.

If there is anyone who has a sense of entitlement, it's health insurance companies who feel they are entitled to rake in enormous profits at the expense of American's lives.

Old 02-18-2010, 01:30 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,792,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Queen View Post
I think there needs to be a happy middle ground. I do NOT want a government run health-care program, I do want serious reform for health Insurance Companies. The problem is that with the Dems it is all or nothing. Government runs nothing effectively. Pass laws that will place certain restrictions on health insures but don't freakin try and take over the whole system.
I'm all for a middle ground.
If you don't want single-payer health care, you can buy private health insurance on your own and take your chances.

BWT, single-payer is not government-run. It just means you contribute to a system where the government pays the medical bills. The government WILL NOT be making medical decisions.

Old 02-18-2010, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
Single payer health insurance is not government run health care. It's government run health insurance.
Just noticed this.
Thanks for pointing it out.
I get so tired of having to explain this to people.

Old 02-18-2010, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
One way to decrease the costs is to get away from a for-profit system.
One big reason why the VA and Medicare save so much money is because of something called economies of scale. You can't achieve this with a bunch of health insurance companies which is why single-payer is so effective of decreasing health care costs.

Old 02-18-2010, 03:10 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,442,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post

Ok let me make this as clear as I can. Health INSURANCE companies pay the bills for Health CARE, they ARE one in the same. Now if the government runs the INSURANCE part of it they ARE running the CARE part because if they work like all the messed up government programs do the CARE drops. It is all relative. Bad insurance=bad care like it or not.

Old 02-18-2010, 03:29 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,442,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
I'm all for a middle ground.
If you don't want single-payer health care, you can buy private health insurance on your own and take your chances.

BWT, single-payer is not government-run. It just means you contribute to a system where the government pays the medical bills. The government WILL NOT be making medical decisions.

Ok so if I don't want government run can I opt out from contributing?

As I said in another post Insurance does equal care. How you pay for a service does determine how good the service is. If the government is paying the bills you better damn well believe they will make medical decisions. They will have to set limits on what is covered and what is not, that IS making medical decisions.

Last edited by Cyber Queen; 02-18-2010 at 03:37 PM..

Old 02-18-2010, 03:33 PM

1,461 posts, read 1,529,941 times
Maybe these huge premium increases is what it will take to realize that the insurance industry is no better than the huge banking industry. Unfortunately, people will suffer and die because they cannot afford to get adequate health care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies