Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support a single-payer system in the U.S.?
Yes 27 34.18%
No 33 41.77%
Maybe.... 3 3.80%
I like the German system 2 2.53%
I like the French system 6 7.59%
Yes, if it's voluntary to join 5 6.33%
Other [in comments] 3 3.80%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 07:32 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,766,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
I doubt most Americans will stand for a 100% private system.

Now you can ask yourself why some are uninsured: unemployed, can't afford the premiums, or DENIED health insurance (very common).

We also have to look at the costs. Why is it cheaper for some Americans to go abroad for some medical procedures?

I can't feel too bad for health insurance companies when their model of business includes rescinding people's policies or denying payment for medical procedures that are essential to people's well being.

I won't put the blame of high costs 100% at the foot of health insurance companies feet but we can save lots of $$ by eliminating them.
You would not save lots. Maybe about 10% because most of them pay out about 90% of what the take in on claims. You would save LOTS more by making EVERYBODY pay into the system OR bar non payers from it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2010, 07:37 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,637,967 times
Quote:
If you show up at the local ER without insurance, you will be turned away at the door.
That's not workable in America, which is why it became illegal a while ago (the most recent major legislation in that area being EMTALA from 1986).

For one thing, a lot of people own firearms. Let's say your kid were smashed up quite badly in a wreck, and then the hospital threw him out on the street without so much as a shot of painkillers.

Would you stand for that, or would you go in with guns blazing until someone offered some treatment?

More realistically, we'd simply see smaller/regional hospitals go bankrupt, and hospitals would become concentrated into a handful of medical megacenters in large urban areas, where profitable departments like radiology are able to offset indigent emergency room patients.

So, if you live in an area with fewer than 100,000 people or so, your hospital might start restructuring to bring in more income, or shut down altogether.

Old 02-18-2010, 07:39 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,342,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Queen View Post
EXACTLY!!! Thank you! Now my health INSURANCE company dictates my health care if the single payer one begins the GOVERNMENT will.
It doesn't dictate your health care. Insurance dictates payment of your health care.

You could go take a second mortgage on your house to pay for treatment that's unauthorized by your insurance company. You could collect pop cans or get three jobs. Give those boot straps one hell of a pull. I don't care what you do. But the language you are using is vintage town hall and untrue.

Old 02-18-2010, 07:58 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,441,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
It doesn't dictate your health care. Insurance dictates payment of your health care.

You could go take a second mortgage on your house to pay for treatment that's unauthorized by your insurance company. You could collect pop cans or get three jobs. Give those boot straps one hell of a pull. I don't care what you do. But the language you are using is vintage town hall and untrue.

If you really believe there is a difference between payment and the quality of care you receive you are blind. Why do you think so many doctors are refusing Medicare? BECAUSE THEY DON'T PAY! That most certainly has an effect on peoples heath CARE. You are the one playing word semantics here. If a doctor is NOT being paid they will not take the insurance which leaves people out in the cold which DOES have an effect on their heath CARE. Deny it all you want but that is a FACT!

Old 02-18-2010, 07:59 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,701,378 times
You bet, I'm a disabled veteran and get my Health Care from the VA and that is just fine with me

Old 02-18-2010, 08:04 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,487,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
I am sure many of these people receive it from their employer and many employers are dropping health insurance or raising the amount they expect their employees to contribute to health insurance.
So what? Pay for it.

CAN a company DROP health insurance all together? Or DOES a company say, "Hey...you're full time. I'm not required to help fund your health insurance any longer"?

Quote:
Considering the economic conditions, I wouldn't be counting on my job to provide health insurance unless I work for a weapons manufacturer, Wall Street, etc. but even their day is coming (I hope...).
I'm just asking here, no ill intent: how old are you and what do you do for "work"?

Quote:
For a lot of people, once they lose their job and health insurance, they begin to understand how important the issue is. It shouldn't take that for people to wake up.
For a lot of people, who find themselves out of work and who take the fact that someone else pays for a majority of their health insurance for granted, of course it's important. Nothing like living in the land of the entitled.

Why does anyone rely on someone else to take care of them?

It's already important for small business owners/self-employed who don't get those types of benefits from anyone else.

Quote:
The whole concept of health insurance is just whacky. In order to make money, they have to deny you care or raise your premiums. It's a losing game.
"Deny you care"...so now you get that care is denied?

Get rid of the illegals. Send them packing the second it's realized that they are illegal and stable (in a hospital environment). How many US hospitals have the cost of taking care of illegals already closed down? Watch the cost of an ER visit drop substantially and the rest of the cost of "medical care" ease up. Either that or start billing any government from which the illegals come from for the medical care they receive in the US.

Let's stop paying for the illegals "care" first. Then lets see how it pans out and how many billions upon billions are left over to compensate for the "cost" of "medical care" that is passed on to the rest of us.

Still waiting for your break-down on the HC plan and what it's supposed to cover.

Old 02-18-2010, 08:07 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,637,967 times
Quote:
Watch the cost of an ER visit drop substantially and the rest of the cost of "medical care" ease up.
If that were the case, you would expect to see much lower healthcare costs in hospitals located in places like West Virginia with very few illegal immigrants.

But that does not appear to be the case.

Old 02-18-2010, 08:07 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,124,101 times
It's shocking (scary, really) how you are so willing to hand over the entire health care system to the absolutely corrupt people in our government. Do you not read the news? Have you not paid attention for the last 10 years??? The last 12 months? If there is one thing the government cannot do, it is handle money. I'm not saying private companies are the way to go, but if there is a worse system, you will find it in our government. AT least you will find competition among private companies. The government? There's only one government; what's their incentive to not *********.

Old 02-18-2010, 08:12 PM

1,535 posts, read 1,634,206 times
The VA does what it can but you can die waiting to see a surgeon, the meds arrive in the mail and I see a doctor every 4 months. But if anything happens in between then you are on your own. Now if you add another 50 million into the system now you will see a doctor every year or two.

Old 02-18-2010, 08:14 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,766,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
You bet, I'm a disabled veteran and get my Health Care from the VA and that is just fine with me
That is government health care. If you were injured on your job as a soldier, you should be treated just like anybody else that is injured on the job- through private workers comp insurance. Too many vets with just minor ailments lounge around the VA for years and collect disability payments. That is leeching off the taxpayers. I know of one who got Diabetes in the Navy and gets a FULL retirement! The Navy did not give him Diabetes so why is he allowed to mooch off the taxpayers?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies