Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 03:28 PM

938 posts, read 1,230,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Well it's not Lake Travis or Eanes..is it ? Not Barton Springs or Hyde Park either. No, not upscale in my book.
The kids there go to Pflugerville ISD..not even Austin schools.
Homes are in the $250K-$275K range..a bit above Austin average, but not much.

The wealthy or wealthy wannabe's live out by the Lake in the rich school districts or in the upscale areas of Austin proper.
not many neighborhoods in America compare to Lake Travis or Eanes......let alone Austin.

BUT Scofield is fairly new and you already know that. the trees are babies. call it what you will but it's some NICE homes in Scofiled Farms.

can somebody from Scofield chime in an represent for your hood please?..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2010, 03:47 PM
dds

24 posts, read 88,842 times
I live in Scofield Farms and it is a nice upper-middle-class neighborhood...not thought of as "prestigious" by many in the area but it suits us well. Just as in any neighborhood, I know several families that could afford to live in a much more expensive home but choose not to...and others that have overextended themselves financially. I am acquainted with Stack's wife & step-daughter (never met him, however), and they are terrific people - I feel terrible for them.

Old 02-19-2010, 04:08 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,994,198 times
Joe Stack hailed as a hero by growing Patriot movement
Expert: Online Cheers for Joe Stack Reflect Growing Anti-Government Movement

"The Web was studded with praise for Stack almost immediately after his plane slammed into the Austin office complex Thursday morning. The admiring salutes appearing on sites ranging from Facebook to the pages of extremist groups reflect what experts say is an "explosive growth" in the anti-government patriot movement.

"Extremist groups are already aligning behind [Joe Stack], beginning to talk about him as a hero," said Mark Potok, director of the Southern Poverty Law Center which studies American militia and hate groups. "The growth of those groups has been astounding."

Bob Schulz, founder of the anti-government We the People Foundation, said that while he only advocates non-violent means of protest, he can understand Stack's motives and said it is a reflection of a movement unlike any he's ever seen.

"There's a huge patriot movement," Schulz said. "I've been doing this kind of work for 30 years. Never have I seen the likes of what's going on now. It's delightful."

Larry D. Halstead (larrydhalstead) on Twitter
larrydhalstead "Joe Stack is neither the disease nor the cure; But a reflection of the symptoms that our citizens react to the problems facing us today......What I find interesting about the words of Joe Stack is that some sounds like Teabaggers, some like Liberterians, some even like Liberals"

"I learned that there are two "interpretations" for every law; one for the very rich, and one for the rest of us" —Joe Stack

News That Joe Stack Was Not A Tea Party Member Disappoints Obamanoids

Old 02-19-2010, 05:06 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Horsemen View Post
not many neighborhoods in America compare to Lake Travis or Eanes......let alone Austin.

BUT Scofield is fairly new and you already know that. the trees are babies. call it what you will but it's some NICE homes in Scofiled Farms.

can somebody from Scofield chime in an represent for your hood please?..
It was already greatly built out when I came here in 1996.

Old 02-19-2010, 05:54 PM

3,100 posts, read 3,302,170 times
It's like a ****ing Simpsons episode. Dude is wealthy, owns a private plane, and instead of auctioning off the plane or selling it, uses it to destroy an IRS building. If it wasn't real life, it would be absurdly funny,

Old 02-19-2010, 07:03 PM

4,573 posts, read 6,781,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tb4000 View Post
It's like a ****ing Simpsons episode. Dude is wealthy, MOST REPORTS INDICATE THAT HE HAD GONE THRU HIS WEALTH....

owns a private plane.....WE'RE STILL TRYING TO DETERMINE IF HE OWNED HIS PLANE OUTRIGHT.

and instead of auctioning off the plane or selling it...IF HE HAD A LOAN ON IT, HE WOULDN'T HAVE BEEN ABLE TO SELL IT FOR WHAT HE OWED.

uses it to destroy an IRS building....IT WASN'T AN "IRS BUILDING"...IT WAS AN OFFICE BUILDING WITH AN IRS OFFICE INSIDE IT.

If it wasn't real life, it would be absurdly funny,
Nothing about this event was remotely or even absurdly funny. Read the thread next time & get at least one fact or comment accurate.

Old 02-20-2010, 07:33 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector28 View Post
A 3 at best......

A high 3.

Those homes in Scofield, were built in the high tech boom of the mid to late 90's. They were relatively close to all the high tech jobs, Dell, Samsung and a host of others.
One of my friends I raced jetskis with, lives there. They are homes priced from $125,000 up to $300,000 depending on the sq.footage and updates.

On a scale of 1-5, Scofield gets a high 3 in neighborhood wealth.
1 would be Southeast Austin, and Dove Springs and the slums in east Austin.
5 would be the Lake Travis area, Tarrytown, Jester and Westlake, along with the new condos, directly downtown.

Old 02-20-2010, 04:21 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,554,229 times
Even his wife called him insane. I guess those who worshipped what he did will proably bash her now.

Old 02-20-2010, 08:49 PM

23,222 posts, read 29,044,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
Would you be cheering him if it was one of your loved ones working in that building?
Even if it had been myself in that building, and I had been killed, and IF the results of his actions resulted in sweeping changes in this country that would benefit the masses, my death would not have been in vain. Or my loved ones. All sacrificial lambs for a good cause.

It's too early yet, to know if any changes will come forth.

Old 02-20-2010, 09:32 PM

11,760 posts, read 14,654,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
i agree, but the leftist icon bill maher probably would not, seeing as he's on record praising the courage of muslims who fly planes into buildings.
That's a lie and you know it. Pointing out that it takes courage to engage in a mission like the September 11 terrorist attacks, willingly facing your own death, is not the same as praising it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies