Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2010, 08:16 AM

3,378 posts, read 3,706,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
That's incorrect. Gay people can marry in a number of countries worldwide as well as these states in the US: CT, DC, IA, MA, NH, VT, Coquille

Black's Law Dictionary:

marriage, n. (Bc) 1. The legal union of a couple as spouses. - The essentials of a valid marriage are (1) parties legally capable of contracting to marry, (2) mutual consent or agreement, and (3) an actual contracting in the form prescribed by law. Marriage has important consequences in many areas ofthe law, such as torts, criminal law, evidence, debtor-creditor relations, property, and contracts.

-Black’s Law Dictionary Ninth Edition 2009 Pg 1059
Black's law dictionary from 2009? So thats the authority on marriage?
yes, people can marry in a few states, but it is not federally recognized. essentially, it is a joke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2010, 08:18 AM

1,066 posts, read 2,071,537 times
I will tell it like it is. I have been in the Military for the last 12 years, and work with a bunch of macho type Military guys on base. We have talked about this and the DADT issue a bunch lately. Most of us (straight males) think the "homophobia" term is off base. Most of us do not fear gay people, just find it disgusting/wrong. Call me biggoted or whatever, I do not care. You asked for a truthful response, and I am giving it! Most straight males find gay sex acts disgusting! But on a similar note find lesbian sex acts erotic, go figure! Do they find most Gay men disgusting? Probably not. Most of the gay community does not like to admit that in the eyes of God, they are living a lifestyle of sin. Since most of the Country claims to be Christian, it seems to me like they should realize that a gay lifestyle is a sinful lifestyle. Call me crazy, but the disgust thing, and Christian aspect are both big reasons for our "homophobia". I spoke my mind. Let the name calling commence!

Old 12-18-2010, 08:25 AM

3,378 posts, read 3,706,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilehiDenver View Post
I will tell it like it is. I have been in the Military for the last 12 years, and work with a bunch of macho type Military guys on base. We have talked about this and the DADT issue a bunch lately. Most of us (straight males) think the "homophobia" term is off base. Most of us do not fear gay people, just find it disgusting/wrong. Call me biggoted or whatever, I do not care. You asked for a truthful response, and I am giving it! Most straight males find gay sex acts disgusting! But on a similar note find lesbian sex acts erotic, go figure! Do they find most Gay men disgusting? Probably not. Most of the gay community does not like to admit that in the eyes of God, they are living a lifestyle of sin. Since most of the Country claims to be Christian, it seems to me like they should realize that a gay lifestyle is a sinful lifestyle. Call me crazy, but the disgust thing, and Christian aspect are both big reasons for our "homophobia". I spoke my mind. Let the name calling commence!
You're right And, to add some other insight to the DADT... Homosexuality has no place in the military. we know that there are all kinds of sexual perverts out there. there's nothing anyone can or should do to prevent someone from thinking anything they want. DADT is about homosexual conduct. Regardless of what the media tells you, it is NOT cool to be gay.

Old 12-18-2010, 08:26 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,751,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guamanians View Post
Marriage is defined as a union between 1 woman and 1 man. That is why gay people can't marry. Men can't golf in the LPGA.
Nobody is saying that you can't love someone of the same sex.
True that is the legal definition right now federally because of DOMA. However, that is not the legal definition in five states and, if we can get DOMA repealed, it doesn't have to remain the federal legal definition either. Or weren't you aware that definitions - especially legal definitions - change all the time?

Old 12-18-2010, 08:34 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,380,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Well, at least you admit you don't see me as equal and feel that I should be treated as a second class citizen. It takes a lot of guts to admit to something so heinous. I can't think of many things more anti-American. May I suggest you go find a theocracy to live in.

Absolutely they could - there is nothing stopping them from doing so. There are no federal laws that protect people from discrimination based on sexual orientation.

I've PERSONALLY had it happen to me. 3 years ago my boyfriend and I were driving back to Denver from Montana (we were there for a funeral). We stopped at a hotel in Whitehall MT just off the I-90 when a storm blew in. As we finished up checking in the clerk was giving us the room info - it's location relative to the desk, where the ice machine was etc, and she mentioned it was a room with two double beds. Upon hearing this, I requested a room with one queen sized bed instead (we slept together). Her response was "Well, I think you should find another motel". We had to drive another 20 miles in a snow storm to Three Forks to get a room.

Was I wearing my "preference" too much on my sleeve????????????? Was I screaming too loudly about my sexuality???????????

How can you possibly say this? You're the one forcing your believes on me. I am attempting to do no such thing. I'm fine with co-existing with you. You want force me to hide and suppress who I am and have no problem using to force of law to achieve your aim.

You seek to use the force of law to deny me the legal rights of civil marriage. You use law to ban same sex marriage and then give me only a false choice - marry a member of the opposite sex, or don't get married at all. And then you have to gall to say that I have the same rights you do. That's you shoving your sexuality down my throat. That's you shoving your fundamental Christianity down my throat. That's you forcing me to conform to your beliefs and values.

I don't want to do that to you. I don't seek to deny you the legal rights of civil marriage (or anything at all). I don't want to corner you into the analogous false choice - marrying a member of the same sex or don't marry at all. I'll I want to do is have the right to marry the man of my choice. That's no way me shoving my sexuality down your throat. That's in no way me forcing you to conform to my beliefs and values. That's in no way shoving my non-Christianity down your throat or attacking your ability to freely worship as you choose. It has no effect on you whatsoever. If you "dislike" it fine - you have a very easy choice to make - don't marry another women.

[MOD CUT]
I wish I could rep you many times for your intelligent, rational and patient posts on this thread.

Old 12-18-2010, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guamanians View Post
Black's law dictionary from 2009? So thats the authority on marriage?
yes, people can marry in a few states, but it is not federally recognized. essentially, it is a joke.
Black's Law Dictionary is the most widely used law dictionary in the United States.
Black's Law Dictionary - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-18-2010, 08:44 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,751,369 times
Quote:
So you find the thought of gay sex disgusting - grow up and don't think about it! Is someone asking you to participate? And this Christian finds your excuses to be disgusting. In this country we don't regulate others behavior using Biblical law. (though I've yet to find anything in the Bible on this issue) We don't outlaw behaviors because the Bible calls it a sin. I'm a straight female, but I have three very straight sons who would actually call you a homophobe. Because they have no problem allowing others to live their own lives, rather than insisting everyone live by their rules.

Old 12-18-2010, 08:55 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,824,700 times
The mortality rate among females was extremely high. A large proportion of the population became bisexual, then increasingly homosexual, and finally asexual. There was a breakdown in maternal behavior. Mothers stopped caring for their young, stopped building a nest for them and even began to attack them, resulting in a 96 percent mortality rate in the two crowded pens. Calhoun coined a term—“behavioral sink”—to describe the decay. Medical Historian Examines NIMH Experiments in Crowding - The NIH Record -July 25, 2008

Old 12-18-2010, 08:59 AM

Quote:
By whose interpretation? Whose version of "God"?

There is nothing in the Bible, in the original Hebrew and Greek languages, that condemns homosexuality per se, or condemns loving committed same-sex relationships.

People have cherry picked the Bible, misinterpreted words which have no modern meanings, and taken verses out of their historical context for centuries - to support their own prejudices.

For example, I don't know any gay people who are temple prostitutes using ritual sex practices to worship ancient Canaanite or 1st century Roman fertility gods - do you?

Old 12-18-2010, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
The mortality rate among females was extremely high. A large proportion of the population became bisexual, then increasingly homosexual, and finally asexual. There was a breakdown in maternal behavior. Mothers stopped caring for their young, stopped building a nest for them and even began to attack them, resulting in a 96 percent mortality rate in the two crowded pens. Calhoun coined a term—“behavioral sink”—to describe the decay. Medical Historian Examines NIMH Experiments in Crowding - The NIH Record -July 25, 2008
Can you explain how you think an experiment from the 1950's on rats and mice has to do with this topic?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies