Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are we a Christian nation?
Yes 90 24.26%
No 212 57.14%
To an extent 69 18.60%
Voters: 371. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 02:27 PM

2,385 posts, read 1,592,577 times

Advertisements

No, America is a Muslim nation.

Allahu Akbar!!!

Old 07-12-2012, 02:37 PM

908 posts, read 1,122,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
Repeat: just because you say you are a Christian, does not mean that GOD thinks you're a Christian.

Peace,
brian

That is the fact....but for some, apparently it gets thrown out the window when we need to win that numbers game!

Old 07-12-2012, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MORebelWoman View Post
While I agree for the most part, I see Christianity as a way of life and not really a religion. I especially like your #6.
I'm glad you appreciate :P

I would kindly disagree on the "religion" part - as "Christianity" by the definition of "religion" is a religious system. It is both a way of life and religion - as a religion is a system with which one conducts life. I feel like "religion" has become a cuss-word in "Christianity" solely because of the negative idea of legalism. Problem is, Jesus was inherently legalistic.

Old 07-12-2012, 03:07 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,417,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
Going back to the Treaty of Tripoli for a second. What it meant in saying 'the government of the USA is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion' --- is that we were Not that type of Christian nation. Not to be rude to anyone, but only a 110% knucklehead would claim we were That type of Christian nation.

The Supreme Court knew we didn't have a divine right of kings in 1892 when it wrote--- "... a view of American life, as expressed by its laws, its business, its customs, and its society, we find every where a clear recognition of the same truth.... add a volume of unofficial declarations to the mass of organic utterances that this is a Christian nation."

The revisionist bunkum, started in the mid- 20th century and pretty much successful now, is that we were Not a Christian nation.
That opinion was Church of the Holy Trinity v. US 143 US 457 (1892). The judge who wrote it latter went on to state that in no way is that decision meant to argue that America is a Christian nation.

America, a Christian Nation - Supreme Court Ruled America is a Christian Nation

As I outlined in #615 Not one of the major ideas or themes in our Constitution or Bill of Rights is based on a Christian or Biblical idea and some are antithetical to Christian teachings.

America is not a Christian nation, and hopefully America will never be a Christian nation because Christianity in government is not compatible with Republicanism. The Bible is one long endorsement of Monarchy almost from end to end with God being the chief Monarch and God blessing temporal Monarchs from God's endorsement of Saul to Jesus' remarks about Caesar.

Old 07-12-2012, 03:19 PM

1,970 posts, read 1,766,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
Repeat: just because you say you are a Christian, does not mean that GOD thinks you're a Christian.

Peace,
brian
Very true, indeed!!!!

Old 07-12-2012, 04:04 PM

11,185 posts, read 6,531,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
That opinion was Church of the Holy Trinity v. US 143 US 457 (1892). The judge who wrote it latter went on to state that in no way is that decision meant to argue that America is a Christian nation.

America, a Christian Nation - Supreme Court Ruled America is a Christian Nation

As I outlined in #615 Not one of the major ideas or themes in our Constitution or Bill of Rights is based on a Christian or Biblical idea and some are antithetical to Christian teachings.

America is not a Christian nation, and hopefully America will never be a Christian nation because Christianity in government is not compatible with Republicanism. The Bible is one long endorsement of Monarchy almost from end to end with God being the chief Monarch and God blessing temporal Monarchs from God's endorsement of Saul to Jesus' remarks about Caesar.
Justice Brewer clarified what he meant by 'Christian nation.' He argued that Christian principles were the fabric of American legal, political, social institutions, and were the source of law. He used the term 'Christian nation' in the way some on this thread have --- as a controlling factor in the development of the nation, its culture, traditions, and lives of most of its people.

Using your restricted meaning, we were not a Christian nation. Using Brewer's broader meaning, we were.

Old 07-12-2012, 06:10 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,797,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael_atw View Post
We aren't a theocracy. We never were. The country was never "in Christ". Unless you are implying the Constitution was ordained by God.

....are you implying that? Sure seems like it.
Ah, I see where your confusion stems from. You think "Christian Nation" is synonymous with theocracy.

Old 07-12-2012, 06:29 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,797,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
Justice Brewer clarified what he meant by 'Christian nation.' He argued that Christian principles were the fabric of American legal, political, social institutions, and were the source of law. He used the term 'Christian nation' in the way some on this thread have --- as a controlling factor in the development of the nation, its culture, traditions, and lives of most of its people.

Using your restricted meaning, we were not a Christian nation. Using Brewer's broader meaning, we were.
I agree with justice Brewer.

Old 07-12-2012, 06:33 PM

33,599 posts, read 18,246,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I agree with justice Brewer.
So do I.

Old 07-12-2012, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Ah, I see where your confusion stems from. You think "Christian Nation" is synonymous with theocracy.
Either it is or it is a dumbed down, shallow, numbers game. Either a "Christian nation" is substantive (i.e. theocracy) or it is in label only and due to numbers (shallow, and meaningless) It seems to be you don't absorb information very efficiently. I just think you don't want to accept the fact that your position doesn't exist...as you have no position. You just keep repeating "we are a Christian nation" with nothing to back it up. No Scripture, no historical precedence, no substance, no logic...just numbers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies