Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 11:59 AM

3,085 posts, read 5,241,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by XodoX View Post
LOL. I never even said that. I was talking about how people view hate crime laws. That's what you don't get. I even said that they people who throw the charges at the are to blame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by XodoX View Post
It's a sad day for the black community. Those ridiculous actions make just even more people think that AA's are paranoid and are severely overreacting. I highly doubt that this is the goal.
Sorry that the black community can't take the truth is this case.
So, again, why should I be sad because a few more idiots decide to assume all AA's are paranoid and hypersensitive based on this case (who probably already thought so anyway)? What "truth" do I need to take in the matter, as an AA? That people find the notion of hate crimes suspect is not my problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2010, 12:01 PM

3,085 posts, read 5,241,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
It may sometimes take me a while to catch on (which I did after reading a bit more of the thread) but was it really necessary to imply that I'm stupid?
That was not my intent, and my apologies to you if it came off as such.

Old 03-07-2010, 12:14 PM

694 posts, read 1,233,590 times
Doesn't this remind you of a mob mentality? Why are you all attacking MrSykes?
For he has the gumption to express his opinion? Right or wrong, he is entitled to it!

You know that these two boys didn't throw the cotton balls in front of the black center to recreate a nativity scene. They did it to remind black students of their slavery past, most likely angered by the fact that Obama is their president.

These boys are probably going to school on tax payers' money. They are to become the Navy officers
of the future. They should be able to know right from wrong and be ready to command with dignity and equanimity white, black, hispanic and Jewish soldiers on battlefields in defense of this country.
It's still to be determined if they are worthy of such honor.

However, while these kids are offensive like hell they didn't cause physical harm to anyone.
The fact that they are charged with a hate crime does not mean that they will be found guilty of one.
God bless.

Last edited by learningCA; 03-07-2010 at 12:31 PM..

Old 03-07-2010, 12:16 PM

3,565 posts, read 4,868,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post
So, again, why should I be sad because a few more idiots decide to assume all AA's are paranoid and hypersensitive based on this case (who probably already thought so anyway)? What "truth" do I need to take in the matter, as an AA? That people find the notion of hate crimes suspect is not my problem.
Everything you need to know about how I view it, you can read in post #41. No need to keep asking the same questions. I already told you why it's sad If you don't mind having more opponents, then that's great for you.

Old 03-07-2010, 12:20 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,944,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by learningCA View Post
Doesn't this remind you of a mob mentality? Why are you jumping on Mr.Sykes?
For he has the gumption to express his opinion? Right or wrong, he is entitled to it.

You all know that these boys didn't throw the cotton balls in front of the black center to recreate a nativity scene. They did it to remind black students of their slavery past, most likely angered by the fact that Obama is their president.

These boys are most likely going to school on tax payers' money. They are to become the Navy officers of the future. They should be able to know right from wrong and be able to command with dignity and equanimity white, black, hispanics and Jewish soldiers on battlefields in defense of this country.
It's still to be determined if they are still worthy of such honor.

However, while these kids are offensive like hell they didn't cause physical harm to anyone.
The fact that they are charged with a hate crime does not mean that they will be found guilty of one.
God bless.
Actually, they've blown that as they are now "former ROTC" students. By now they could be former students, I have not cought the local news this weekend. The point of this discussion is a "cottonball caper" the best use of "felony hate crime" legislation? It would appear so some of us, not. To others they cry fowl because they derive their power and $$ from being victims.

Old 03-07-2010, 12:55 PM

208 posts, read 416,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringTheContent View Post
You know, I've been anything but a troublemaker in this thread, but I gotta say point blank that slavery and the Holocaust are not "equally tragic". Slavery was shameful and it was a horrible time in history. There is no possible way to excuse it and people must continue to learn from it and learn about it, and I am in favor of anything that will educate people about it.

Having said that, it's not on the level of millions upon millions of people being led to gas chambers and being burnt up AFTER they were used as slave labor. Well, the ones who were strong enough were used as slaves. Others, many of them children, were forced into prostitution or just executed immediately if they served no other "purpose" to their captors. And Jews were not the only victims of the Holocaust. It was a far-reaching tragedy that destroyed people from many walks of life.
About 10 million Africans died during the Middle Passage, add a couple hundred years of slavery and violent discrimination. How much worse does it have to get before it's seen as being on the same level?

My question is of course rhetorical because when it comes to the cruel well thought out destruction of a people - there are no levels of "bad." It's just something we try to convince ourselves of so we can distance ourselves from it - or our historical role in it. The Holocaust, slavery, the Native American experience - all of it should be afforded the same level of social and historical respect.

As for the topic itself, if people can't deal with the consequences of their actions they shouldn't commit the crime. Period.

Their actions fall under hate crime legislation. I would rather such legislation be broad enough to curb planned hurtful socially irresponsible behavior before it becomes something more than to have hate crime legislation that's merely window dressing. Stop acting like a racist butthole and you don't have a problem. It's as simple as that.

Old 03-07-2010, 01:14 PM

4,050 posts, read 3,960,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyvin View Post
OMG.
Pranks are played all the time on campus; their Captain did not have a problem with it.
Seriously! A felony - a hate crime - kicked out - careers ruined.
It's totally ridiculous IMO.
All this touch feely, walking on eggshells to be politically correct is out of hand. We can't have fun anymore.
I'm a totally rational person, not any of the things you mention above.

If I saw two white guys spreading cotton ball in front of my house to simulate that it's cotton I should be out picking, would I be PC in the azz whooping they would receive???

This is not a prank, only the blind, silly, stupid, would think so.

Why should their careers not be ruined?...how many minorities (not just blacks) would never receive promotion and/or assignments under commanding officers with mindsets like this?

If not defacing my property or my school grounds with racist messages is walking on egg shells, then you should be prepared for a lifetime of tippy toeing!

Old 03-07-2010, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Quite frankly, going back in history, most of us have ancestors who were persecuted either because of race, class, nationality, gender, or religious preference. It is part of who we are as a "melting-pot" of a nation. Will there ever be a time when we can stop being forced to walk on eggshells as not to offend certain parts of the population because of something their ancestors suffered? Will there be a time when we look forward as Americans instead of some "hyphenated" segment of society? Seriously, the time for victimhood has passed.

This was a stupid college prank. Let the University punish them as they see fit. Let ROTC/Navy punish them as they see fit. Felony hate crime in criminal court? Way overboard!

Should there be passage of cottonball legislation as a controlled substance next? Whites cannot buy cottonballs because somewhere, not only did white farmers and share-croppers harvest cotton by hand but also black slaves and sharecroppers/farmer as well?

Will it be a hate crime to show a latino a tomato on the sidewalk?

When is enough insanity enough? This "incident" has been playing on the local MU TV station ad naseum. Overblown & overplayed.

We aren't going back in history, we are dealing with current events, where once again some white kids decided to tell blacks that their position is that of picking cotton.

But your'e ok with that...no harm done, just an innocent prank!!

When will reality and rational thinking enter into your posts!!!

Old 03-07-2010, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringTheContent View Post
You know, I've been anything but a troublemaker in this thread, but I gotta say point blank that slavery and the Holocaust are not "equally tragic". Slavery was shameful and it was a horrible time in history. There is no possible way to excuse it and people must continue to learn from it and learn about it, and I am in favor of anything that will educate people about it.

Having said that, it's not on the level of millions upon millions of people being led to gas chambers and being burnt up AFTER they were used as slave labor. Well, the ones who were strong enough were used as slaves. Others, many of them children, were forced into prostitution or just executed immediately if they served no other "purpose" to their captors. And Jews were not the only victims of the Holocaust. It was a far-reaching tragedy that destroyed people from many walks of life.

Whatever punishment is given to these people will be well-deserved. They should be made an example of, and this kind of behavior cannot be tolerated. As for the last part of your statement, don't assume that just because someone disagrees with you that it means they're against you. The person you're responding to came off as anything but a bigot.
Sorry but you are the wrong one!!!

I suggest you do some research on the estimated millions who died during the "middle passage" before you seek to minimize the horrors of the slave trade.

I'm not here to post a "my people's suffering was greater than your people's suffering thread"., but that's exactly what you have attempted to do.

Some may say that death was release from the suffering the Jews faced and the horrors they had to endure, slaves did not have that option, they were forced into a lifetime of degradation, abuse, rape, and suffering!

Please think before you post.

Old 03-07-2010, 01:45 PM

716 posts, read 1,120,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeSoBe View Post
Their actions fall under hate crime legislation. I would rather such legislation be broad enough to curb planned hurtful socially irresponsible behavior before it becomes something more than to have hate crime legislation that's merely window dressing. Stop acting like a racist butthole and you don't have a problem. It's as simple as that.

No they don't. Freedom of speech doesn't end when people get offended. As much as I disagree with these guys, the 1st amendment gives them the right to be stupid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies