Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 09:09 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,944,845 times

Advertisements

Quite frankly, going back in history, most of us have ancestors who were persecuted either because of race, class, nationality, gender, or religious preference. It is part of who we are as a "melting-pot" of a nation. Will there ever be a time when we can stop being forced to walk on eggshells as not to offend certain parts of the population because of something their ancestors suffered? Will there be a time when we look forward as Americans instead of some "hyphenated" segment of society? Seriously, the time for victimhood has passed.

This was a stupid college prank. Let the University punish them as they see fit. Let ROTC/Navy punish them as they see fit. Felony hate crime in criminal court? Way overboard!

Should there be passage of cottonball legislation as a controlled substance next? Whites cannot buy cottonballs because somewhere, not only did white farmers and share-croppers harvest cotton by hand but also black slaves and sharecroppers/farmer as well?

Will it be a hate crime to show a latino a tomato on the sidewalk?

When is enough insanity enough? This "incident" has been playing on the local MU TV station ad naseum. Overblown & overplayed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2010, 09:18 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,538,276 times
They should have just burned the American flag cause then they'd get the full support and protection of the university staff and faculty.

Old 03-07-2010, 09:30 AM

3,085 posts, read 5,241,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
I see much more racism exhibited by black people than by white people.
I'd like to see exactly how the actions of these white students (and plenty others on college campuses across the country) were in the slightest way provoked by swarms of anti-white hostility on the part of black students. Last I checked, there weren't many black fraternities going around throwing parties mocking the lower elements of white culture, or spreading crackers about, etc.

Again, on the one hand we're told to "get over it", while if we refuse to laugh along with these asinine "pranks" which keep reminding us of the "it" in the first place we're being crybabies, whiners, stuck in the past, etc.

Another interesting thing to note is that you don't see these pranks and parties targeted to Jews or Native Americans. I mean, what, no Holocaust bash? Or perhaps a Massacre at Wounded Knee-themed get together? I mean surely in the interest of diversity would we not want to leave these groups out, right?

Old 03-07-2010, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post
I'd like to see exactly how the actions of these white students (and plenty others on college campuses across the country) were in the slightest way provoked by swarms of anti-white hostility on the part of black students. Last I checked, there weren't many black fraternities going around throwing parties mocking the lower elements of white culture, or spreading crackers about, etc.

Again, on the one hand we're told to "get over it", while if we refuse to laugh along with these asinine "pranks" which keep reminding us of the "it" in the first place we're being crybabies, whiners, stuck in the past, etc.

Another interesting thing to note is that you don't see these pranks and parties targeted to Jews or Native Americans. I mean, what, no Holocaust bash? Or perhaps a Massacre at Wounded Knee-themed get together? I mean surely in the interest of diversity would we not want to leave these groups out, right?
Traditional fraternities are not "white only". They have to be open to EVERYONE. Yet, there are "black fraternities". on the M.U.-Columbia campus there is no "White Cultural Center". Do you not see the racist hypocracy in your own posts? One segment of this particular student population feels it is "special" above all others.

Actually, given Missouri's history, tobacco leaves would have been a more appropriate protrayal or perhaps sprinkling salt on the sidewalks if these two had really wanted to be offensive in any historically accurate manner.

Cottonballs, really Mr. Sykes, your posts perpetuate victimhood as "normal". It is not. It should not be perpetuated if we ever want to be a "post-racial" society; yet, you seem to argue for just that.

This was not a cross-burning, there were no KKK men in sheets, this was cottonballs for gosh sakes. Plenty of whites picked cotton too and still do. Ever drive through rural GA, MS, or AL?

Old 03-07-2010, 09:43 AM

3,565 posts, read 4,868,291 times
Quote:

You know what, I am very far left, but even I can't really defend this. And how dare you compare this to the Holocaust? People were murdered and slaughtered in mass - millions of them Sorry, that's pretty tasteless. This is something totally different.
And even you know that the gay community has to deal with much more than just "cottonballs". And nobody cares about that. If you want equality, then you need to provide equality to everybody.
It's a sad day for the black community. Those ridiculous actions make just even more people think that AA's are paranoid and are severely overreacting. I highly doubt that this is the goal.

Old 03-07-2010, 09:46 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,538,276 times
Yep, jewish students don't get harassed by muslim and racist (KKK) students. Nope, never happens. <sarcasm>
Quote:

Old 03-07-2010, 09:50 AM

4,156 posts, read 11,012,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
KRCG: University of Missouri police have arrested two white naval midshipmen for spreading cotton balls in front of the campus’ black culture center.

Senior Zachary Tucker, 21, and freshmen Sean Fitzgerald, 19, were arrested Tuesday about 7:30 p.m., after authorities received an anonymous tip.

Breitbart.tv » Two Students Arrested for Cotton Ball ‘Hate Crime’
Bizarre.

Not that a stupid prank performed by two ROTC-zi Nazis are a big surprise, but the hate crime enhancement is strange.

It was not violent and it was more stupid than anything else.

Oh I know, maybe we should have STUPID crime enhancements for this prank, and for the 'professionals' that have filed this as a 'hate' crime.

talk about screwing it all up

Old 03-07-2010, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellalunatic View Post
Bizarre.

Not that a stupid prank performed by two ROTC-zi Nazis are a big surprise, but the hate crime enhancement is strange.

It was not violent and it was more stupid than anything else.

Oh I know, maybe we should have STUPID crime enhancements for this prank, and for the 'professionals' that have filed this as a 'hate' crime.

talk about screwing it all up

Do you have proof these students are members of the Nazi Party or White Supremecy groups? Or are you just a lunatic participating in name calling, again?

Old 03-07-2010, 10:05 AM

3,085 posts, read 5,241,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XodoX View Post
You know what, I am very far left, but even I can't really defend this. And how dare you compare this to the Holocaust? People were murdered and slaughtered in mass - millions of them Sorry, that's pretty tasteless. This is something totally different.
And even you know that the gay community has to deal with much more than just "cottonballs". And nobody cares about that. If you want equality, then you need to provide equality to everybody.
It's a sad day for the black community. Those ridiculous actions make just even more people think that AA's are paranoid and are severely overreacting. I highly doubt that this is the goal.
Your apparent indignation at the mere thought of lampooning the Holocaust makes my point precisely. While slavery, equally tragic, is something to laugh about and get a kick out of, the Holocaust isn't to be touched. Why make light of one tragedy over another?

And spare me with that "sad day in the black community" stuff. You're proof that many so-called liberals can be just as bigoted as their conservative counterparts.

Old 03-07-2010, 10:07 AM

3,565 posts, read 4,868,291 times
Quote:
Your apparent indignation at the mere thought of lampooning the Holocaust makes my point precisely. While slavery, equally tragic, is something to laugh about and get a kick out of, the Holocaust isn't to be touched. Why make light of one tragedy over another?

And spare me with that "sad day in the black community" stuff. You're proof that many so-called liberals can be just as bigoted as their conservative counterparts.
It is a sad day for you. this is totally watering down the hate crime bills and their meaning. Don't try to play the race card. You don't even know me. Sorry that the black community can't take the truth is this case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies