Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2013, 03:00 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,899,643 times

Advertisements

Considering that self-identified conservatives outnumber liberals nearly 2-1 (Gallup: Conservatives Outnumber Liberals in 47 Out of 50 States | CNS News) and are totally decimiated at the state and local levels, AT BEST the democrats are on life support.

Democrats, do you know why the GOP will never die out or be permanently replaced by you? Because, NEWS FLASH, YOU AREN'T POPULAR EITHER!

The GOP is getting an F from voters, but guess what, your're getting a nice fat D- yourself, and last I checked, that's nothing to brag about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2013, 03:05 PM

5,563 posts, read 4,263,400 times
Whatever you say. I definitely think you should run with that theory for all foreseeable elections.

Old 03-23-2013, 03:10 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,297,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Considering that self-identified conservatives outnumber liberals nearly 2-1 (Gallup: Conservatives Outnumber Liberals in 47 Out of 50 States | CNS News) and are totally decimiated at the state and local levels, AT BEST the democrats are on life support.

Democrats, do you know why the GOP will never die out or be permanently replaced by you? Because, NEWS FLASH, YOU AREN'T POPULAR EITHER!

The GOP is getting an F from voters, but guess what, your're getting a nice fat D- yourself, and last I checked, that's nothing to brag about.
What keeps the conservative party relevant is that Democratic voters tend to be much packed in geographically speaking than conservatives.

Our political system in part was designed to value geography over people. So every state gets 2 senators even though some states have smaller population than some cities.

In the states, state representatives are divvied up based on geography as well.

Again this arrangement currently aides the conservative party because even though they are smaller in number, they are more spread out, which gives them the ability to allocate state reps to areas with few people.

The other thing that keeps the conservative party alive is that too many Democratic voters don't vote in off year elections. By off year I mean the elections in which there is no presidential election.

This enables the smaller share of the conservative party to have outsized influence over those elections.

Old 03-23-2013, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
Whatever you say. I definitely think you should run with that theory for all foreseeable elections.
What theory? Your views are held by a minority of voters.

Old 03-23-2013, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
What keeps the conservative party relevant is that Democratic voters tend to be much packed in geographically speaking than conservatives.

Our political system in part was designed to value geography over people. So every state gets 2 senators even though some states have smaller population than some cities.

In the states, state representatives are divvied up based on geography as well.

Again this arrangement currently aides the conservative party because even though they are smaller in number, they are more spread out, which gives them the ability to allocate state reps to areas with few people.

The other thing that keeps the conservative party alive is that too many Democratic voters don't vote in off year elections. By off year I mean the elections in which there is no presidential election.

This enables the smaller share of the conservative party to have outsized influence over those elections.
Are you debating that conservatives don't outnumber liberals nearly 2 to 1?

Old 03-23-2013, 03:22 PM

4,130 posts, read 4,461,778 times
Quote:
From your link:

Quote:
Nationally, the amount of self-identified conservatives (38 percent) still outnumbers liberals (23 percent).
If 38 is twice 23 to you, take basic math again. It also leaves 39% as independent...larger then both.

Old 03-23-2013, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCityWanderer View Post
From your link:

If 38 is twice 23 to you, take basic math again. It also leaves 39% as independent...larger then both.
Please provide supporting documentation to support your assertion that I said conservatives outnumber liberals 2 to 1. Granted, I did say nearly 2 to 1.

Old 03-23-2013, 03:29 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,297,969 times
Quote:
If you think that Americans identifying in a poll means that conservative policy ideas are popular you are not paying attention.

What I am saying is that the continued relevance of the conservative party is owed more to voter apathy and the way our political representatives are allocated based on geography over people.

This helps conservatives because Democratic voters tend to be bunched together in areas with large populations, while conservative voters tend to be more spread out in areas with fewer people.

My point is if our government representatives were allocated solely based on population, the Democratic party would have a large advantage.

Old 03-23-2013, 03:34 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,908,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCityWanderer View Post
From your link:

What is more, judging by recent election results, very few people in that 39% want anything to do with the GOP's current extremist agenda.

Old 03-23-2013, 03:36 PM

5,563 posts, read 4,263,400 times
Quote:
Doesn't matter one not what people in a poll say they are. What matters is how they vote. And I seem to recall a certain recent election in which the majority voted for policies that are Not Yours ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies