Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 09:47 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,274,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
I wonder when Gallup will poll me. I am very enthusiastic and am many moons beyond 65, also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2010, 09:49 PM

22,190 posts, read 19,466,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
I seem to remember him going in on a crucial vote during the last weeks of his illness...I could be wrong though.
It was prior to Franken being seated. I went through all of the roll call votes from the time Franken was seated until Kennedy passed (link is below roll call votes 218-270 if you want to look yourself) Kennedy was not in the Senate for any of them.

U.S. Senate: Legislation & Records Home > Votes > Roll Call Vote Summary - 111th Congress, 1st Session

Old 03-10-2010, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadScribe View Post
well, I don't think that any of us posters holds a license on "truth."
Compare my number of posts and number of reads and it becomes easy to see just what goes on. Most progs have as many reads as I do with half as many posts.

Old 03-10-2010, 09:51 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,479,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
How many filibusters were declared during those almost days? I guess I just never heard about them.
Pay attention, Roy. Everything that can be filibustered, is.

Old 03-10-2010, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
First off throwing reconciliation and nuclear option in the same sentence is just plain absurd. Mentioning the nuclear option in this case is just retarded plain and simple.

Now on to the actual process. The entire bill can not be passed through Reconciliation. The House and Senate both passed their own versions of the bill, which is fairly common. Typically when this happens, both sides will patch out an agreement by molding the two bills, and then another vote will be held on the entire bill. Since that can't happen now due to the filibuster the House will have to vote for the Senate Bill as is, and then make the fixes through Reconciliation. That process is being worked on now.
Filibuster? Is there one in effect and if so, when did it get there? I missed it, I guess.

Old 03-10-2010, 09:56 PM

22,190 posts, read 19,466,581 times
Quote:
How many filibusters were declared during those almost days? I guess I just never heard about them.
Reid could have forced the GOP to filibuster (and perhaps should have) but with Kennedy to ill to be in the Senate and then during the period his seat was vacant he knew that even if he had all the Democrats votes (including the two Independents) he didn't have a chance at blocking a filibuster.

Old 03-10-2010, 09:57 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,479,243 times
Quote:
Filibuster? Is there one in effect and if so, when did it get there? I missed it, I guess.
79 cloture motions have been filed thus far in the 111th Congress. 78 of them have been filed by Senate Democrats.

Old 03-10-2010, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
pay attention, roy. Everything that can be filibustered, is.
pelosi!!!!

Old 03-10-2010, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
79 cloture motions have been filed thus far in the 111th Congress. 78 of them have been filed by Senate Democrats.
Why don't you and Smash get together and argue from the same angle? Somehow I just don't get the point with you arguing from different directions. Is there a chance that that is why the Congress can't get anything done since Pelosi uses her iron hammer all the time? I guess that must be it.

Old 03-10-2010, 10:02 PM

1,224 posts, read 1,287,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
First off throwing reconciliation and nuclear option in the same sentence is just plain absurd. Mentioning the nuclear option in this case is just retarded plain and simple.

Now on to the actual process. The entire bill can not be passed through Reconciliation. The House and Senate both passed their own versions of the bill, which is fairly common. Typically when this happens, both sides will patch out an agreement by molding the two bills, and then another vote will be held on the entire bill. Since that can't happen now due to the filibuster the House will have to vote for the Senate Bill as is, and then make the fixes through Reconciliation. That process is being worked on now.
Your textbook definition of reconciliation is not quite the same as the "budget reconciliation" being considered by the democrats.

Both the nuclear option and budget reconciliation are methods used to circumvent a political process,....and it is not "retarded" to use them in the same sentence. Both can be used to achieve an end without using normal political channels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies