Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2010, 12:32 PM

12,481 posts, read 10,227,792 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langlen View Post
Yet they originally barred the gay couple, which led to the ACLU getting involved, and subsequently the prom getting canceled.

The original act by the school was discrimatory and wrong.
If the school felt it was they had two choices to correct it. Let everyone come or cancel. Either choice ended the discrimination issue. Since the school changed course it is obvious they saw the problem and corrected it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2010, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
So, in that case, you approve of gay couples going to the prom and you think the school was wrong?

Can you see how your logic is unraveling?
No my logic is the school had to correct the discrimination. They could allow the couple to come or cancel. They chose to cancel. there is no discrimination since there is no prom

Old 03-12-2010, 12:35 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,449,435 times
yes its dead. instead of quietly attending you would make the prom a political battlefield. you will not be remembered as the righteous gays that led the courageous battle. you will be long remembered by the school body as the jerks that killed the prom.

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 03-12-2010 at 01:01 PM..

Old 03-12-2010, 12:36 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,894,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
No my logic is the school had to correct the discrimination. They could allow the couple to come or cancel. They chose to cancel. there is no discrimination since there is no prom
As long as the policy against opposite-sex couples is in place, there is discrimination. It was the existence of this policy that caused this girl to raise the issue to begin with.

Old 03-12-2010, 12:36 PM
zox

344 posts, read 479,197 times
Quote:
I have made no choices for you. the constitution grants us the rights to make out own choices. That means someone will make a choice you do not agree with, but it is still their right
The constitution grants us the freedom of religion and the separation of church and state. This is a public school thus having no right to impose any form religious dogma through restricting access to a gay student. The school may have canceled the entire prom but it was done so to deny access to a gay student. That is unconstitutional.

Old 03-12-2010, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zox View Post
The constitution grants us the freedom of religion and the separation of church and state. This is a public school thus having no right to impose any form religious dogma through restricting access to a gay student. The school may have canceled the entire prom but it was done so to deny access to a gay student. That is unconstitutional.
Not discimnatory if there is no prom. Can not discriminate against someone whne there is no event to discriminate for. The school obviously saw the problem and chose this method to correct it.

Old 03-12-2010, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
As long as the policy against opposite-sex couples is in place, there is discrimination. It was the existence of this policy that caused this girl to raise the issue to begin with.
I would have to see that as a school policy in writing. If there was a school policy in writing that gay couples can not attend a prom i highly suspect that policy will be changed. I have not seen that policy in writing. If you have a link to it, it would be interesting reading. I know around here girls often go to proms with their friends because high school guys are to cool to ask or looking for something more than a dance.

Old 03-12-2010, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zox View Post
Once again, I think it's presumptive to say that they canceled the entire prom just to deny access to a gay student. I think it's easy to ignore the liability issues involved in a situation this if you are outside the situation, but when you are immediately involved, like the school board, the issues of potential violence at the prom, and the resultant liability have a profound resonance. School boards members are elected to their positions to consider just these kinds of issues. Not just if it's fair not to allow lesbian couples to attend prom, but the possibility that the prom will be disrupted, not by the lesbian couple, but by homophobic responses to the lesbian couple. The school board is charged with protecting our children. If they didn't think about possible repercussions, then they would be negligent.

Please understand, I'm not defending the discrimination that is integral to this mess, but I think that if we're choosing sides, then we should at least do so thoughtfully, and try to inform ourselves. This isn't just a matter of philosophy, this is real life, and so some pragmatism is involved.

Old 03-12-2010, 12:44 PM

11,761 posts, read 14,661,252 times
I guess this is just the 2010 version of Southern states closing public schools and swimming pools when the courts tell them they have to let black people attend.

Old 03-12-2010, 12:47 PM

Quote:
I would have to see that as a school policy in writing. If there was a school policy in writing that gay couples can not attend a prom i highly suspect that policy will be changed. I have not seen that policy in writing. If you have a link to it, it would be interesting reading. I know around here girls often go to proms with their friends because high school guys are to cool to ask or looking for something more than a dance.
The initial link in this thread cites just such a policy.

"The Itawamba County school district's policy requires that senior prom dates be of the opposite sex."

It's the first sentence in the second paragraph from ABC News.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies