Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2010, 10:41 PM
zox

344 posts, read 479,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
The school can say "no more proms forever" and that basically clears any discrimination from the situation. Their INTENT may be not to let homosexuals go, and it's a sad, silly reason, but the result doesn't care. We don't need to figure out why.. that's up to the student body and community as a whole to address. Either get on board or just not put themselves in a position to have to deal with the controversy, and that's the path they took. You can't really push this kind of thing on people who aren't willing to accept it (you really can't even though you think you should be able to) so this is their only solution for now. Eventually new people will look at the situation and think "this is stupid" and it won't be a controversy anymore. It's sort of like people who don't want to rent a room to homosexuals or blacks or asians...one way around it is to not rent the room at all. You may not like that but you can't force them to rent a room just to advance the anti-discrimination position.
This is not a landlord but a public school which is a different entity and thus the same rules do not apply. A prom is a school sponsored activity. The school is not a private entity. The school board didn't create a permanent policy that would ban prom. The board banned prom this year because a gay student wanted to attend. Since the school selectively chose to ban this prom to prevent a gay student from attending, that is discrimination. The ACLU wouldn't spend the money and file a lawsuit on behalf of this student if the student lacked merit to file this lawsuit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2010, 10:48 PM
zox

344 posts, read 479,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roncorey1 View Post
This is some of the most overblown garbage I have read about in a while!!! Yahoo! News has over 50k comments on it in the last 3 days!!!! This chick just wanted some mega attention and so did her family!!! She couldn't get a (male) date to the prom and so she took her spite out on the school!!! That and she thinks the whole Emo/Goth/Lesbian chic thing made her cool!!!!
If the school allowed the student to attend prom, none of this would have been publicized. It started with the school board not the student. The school board took a paternalistic approach and felt observing a gay student at prom was detrimental.

Old 03-12-2010, 11:56 PM

38,644 posts, read 26,389,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twista6002 View Post
At the same time, I think the infamy and chastising would be worse known as the lesbians who got prom cancelled. Especially since no one really cares about what goes on during the prom (the after parties are what counts ). At my senior prom, I couldn't have cared less about a same sex couple.

One of these females wanted to wear a tux, so it isn't as innocent as you would have us believe. If they allow a female to wear a tux, they have to allow males to go in drag. She had a gay ax to grind and wanted to hi-jack her HS prom to promote her half-baked political ideology. They were right to cancel the prom. If the gay students want to have a gay prom, they can do so without disrupting everyone else's prom by holding it elsewhere.

Old 03-13-2010, 12:00 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,678,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
One of these females wanted to wear a tux, so it isn't as innocent as you would have us believe. If they allow a female to wear a tux, they have to allow males to go in drag. She had a gay ax to grind and wanted to hi-jack her HS prom to promote her half-baked political ideology. They were right to cancel the prom. If the gay students want to have a gay prom, they can do so without disrupting everyone else's prom by holding it elsewhere.
Just more anti-gay prejudicial garbage. Gays are always to blame in some people's small minds.

Old 03-13-2010, 12:03 AM

22,190 posts, read 19,470,309 times
Quote:
How does this disrupt anyone else??

Old 03-13-2010, 05:10 AM

13,285 posts, read 15,310,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
How does this disrupt anyone else??
I'm not sure but I think it goes something like this.

If you see a woman in a tuxedo then you'll end up getting fisted.

Is that right TI?

And, here you go. I hope you enjoy this as much as I do

Old 03-13-2010, 07:28 AM

10,033 posts, read 9,510,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
The bureaucrats fold to the Prudes again.

I feel sorry for the girls. I hope they find someplace to live that does not care about who they love.
The Clinton household comes to mind.

Old 03-13-2010, 10:59 AM

8,131 posts, read 4,330,074 times
You know what I don't get? Why is it that gay folks always want someone to accept them and their lifestyles? I'm straight and don't walk around asking folks to accept me...either you do, or you don't. It's just that simple...I'm still going to live my life the way I choose to regardless of what anyone else says/thinks?

Old 03-13-2010, 11:20 AM

8,299 posts, read 8,609,037 times
Quote:
One of these females wanted to wear a tux, so it isn't as innocent as you would have us believe. If they allow a female to wear a tux, they have to allow males to go in drag. She had a gay ax to grind and wanted to hi-jack her HS prom to promote her half-baked political ideology.

Last edited by helenejen; 04-25-2013 at 09:30 AM..

Old 03-13-2010, 11:37 AM

1,842 posts, read 1,708,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tillman7 View Post
You know what I don't get? Why is it that gay folks always want someone to accept them and their lifestyles? I'm straight and don't walk around asking folks to accept me...either you do, or you don't. It's just that simple...I'm still going to live my life the way I choose to regardless of what anyone else says/thinks?
You want what you do not have. You have acceptance already. Think about Ancient Greece there Gay was the establishment, there you were not accepted unless you were gay. There you would have craved acceptance for being straight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies