Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2010, 12:03 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,327,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
Becasue the school has a right to endorse or not endorse a prom.Ther eis nothing stopping them from putting on a prom for their kids
A school has a right not to offer prom. A school does not have a right to deny prom because of the sexual orientation of one of its students. This is the reason the school is now being sued. Keep in mind, this same school was sued for allowing student led daily Bible teachings over the intercom
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2010, 12:04 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,321,462 times
Quote:
both do the constitution gives you the right to make either choice
The constitiution grants you the right to make a choice for me?

Please cite.

Old 03-12-2010, 12:08 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,321,462 times
Quote:
The continued hate torwards Christians as in Christians are blame for everything, Christians are not lopping people heads off on video.Christians are not training their young to strap bombs on themselves and kill others. Yet the continue date for someone because they live by a standard that they have every right to live by is ludicrous.This is America , if you want to be Christian and practice your religion it so your right to do so
If you a Mormon and want to practice and live by your religious standards you should be free to without being harassed by atheist
I do not see atheists going after Muslims with the hate i see for Christians.

What does any of this have to do with the issue at hand?

A gay couple at a prom in no way infringes on the rights of any other person to behave or believe as they wish.

Old 03-12-2010, 12:11 PM

1,503 posts, read 1,158,853 times
Quote:
The prom is canceled for all not for one group.
They being all the kids and parents can get together rand have any type of prom they want. everyone is being denied admission to the school sponsored prom their is not one.

would you deny a group of KKK members wearing their hoods entrance to a prom.
The continued hate torwards Christians as in Christians are blame for everything, Christians are not lopping people heads off on video.Christians are not training their young to strap bombs on themselves and kill others. Yet the continue date for someone because they live by a standard that they have every right to live by is ludicrous.This is America , if you want to be Christian and practice your religion it so your right to do so
If you a Mormon and want to practice and live by your religious standards you should be free to without being harassed by atheist
I do not see atheists going after Muslims with the hate i see for Christians.
The school did what it had a right to do cancel it, the kids and parents can have their own prom set how they want.
Nobody's making a Christian bring a same sex partner to the prom, though I'm sure that several of the same sex couples are Christians. Many of the same sex marriages in the District of Columbia have been performed by Christian ministers in Christian churches.

Perhaps your characterization of yourself as a Christian is incorrect?

Old 03-12-2010, 12:13 PM

12,481 posts, read 10,240,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
A school has a right not to offer prom. A school does not have a right to deny prom because of the sexual orientation of one of its students. This is the reason the school is now being sued. Keep in mind, this same school was sued for allowing student led daily Bible teachings over the intercom
The school cancelled the prom for all .

Old 03-12-2010, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhinestone View Post
Nobody's making a Christian bring a same sex partner to the prom, though I'm sure that several of the same sex couples are Christians. Many of the same sex marriages in the District of Columbia have been performed by Christian ministers in Christian churches.

Perhaps your characterization of yourself as a Christian is incorrect?
wher have i charecterized myself as a christian?

Old 03-12-2010, 12:19 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,056,074 times
Quote:

would you deny a group of KKK members wearing their hoods entrance to a prom.
Prom as a dress code. That would be a violation of said dress code.

Quote:
The continued hate torwards Christians as in Christians are blame for everything
Please point out anywhere where I personally showed hatered towards Christians.

I don't hate Christians. I respect their beliefs, even if I don't share them. Same with Muslims, and Mormons. The only ones who I don't like are the radicals who do try to force their beliefs on others through violence.

Which saying that this girl should be allowed to go to the prom with her girlfriend is not a violent belief, and in the end, harms nobody.

Old 03-12-2010, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
The constitiution grants you the right to make a choice for me?

Please cite.
I have made no choices for you. the constitution grants us the rights to make out own choices. That means someone will make a choice you do not agree with, but it is still their right

Old 03-12-2010, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langlen View Post
Prom as a dress code. That would be a violation of said dress code.

Please point out anywhere where I personally showed hatered towards Christians.

I don't hate Christians. I respect their beliefs, even if I don't share them. Same with Muslims, and Mormons. The only ones who I don't like are the radicals who do try to force their beliefs on others through violence.

Which saying that this girl should be allowed to go to the prom with her girlfriend is not a violent belief, and in the end, harms nobody.
The school had a right to accept the couple or cancel the prom . They made their choice. There is nothing in the Constitution that says this school had to have a prom

Old 03-12-2010, 12:24 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,056,074 times
Quote:
I have made no choices for you. the constitution grants us the rights to make out own choices. That means someone will make a choice you do not agree with, but it is still their right
However, said choice cannot discriminate. The schools' original choice to bar her from going to prom with her girlfriend, even going as far to telling her that she would be kicked out of prom if she was with her at the prom period, was discrimitory. Which is why the ACLU rightly got involved. And then the school acted like little children who didn't get their way, and ruined it for everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies