Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 11:10 AM

89,029 posts, read 44,840,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
You and everybody else knows the recession that's caused everyday Americans so much economic pain and dislocation was already officially 14 months old when Obama took office.
So this all happened under Pelosi's and Reid's Congressional leadership. Got it.

Quote:
When has this nation seen such a corrupt band of failures and losers as these Republicans?
Wait... aren't Pelosi and Reid Democrats?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2010, 11:50 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,479,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
Feels so good to have someone to blame, doesn't it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Great post. As we well know, Saggy will just ignore all the facts persented and stick to the party line, as told by Barry.
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
So this all happened under Pelosi's and Reid's Congressional leadership. Got it.
Grow up, boys. History is history. The credit crisis began to balloon as soon as those first Tax Cuts for the Rich got through Congress under reconciliation. It was all downhill from there. The economy here and around the world was spun into an unprecedented freefall by January 2009, the handiwork of a bunch of brain-dead Republicans. The markets are wise enough to regulate themselves. It would have been funny if it werent so downright disastrous.

Things since January 20, 2009, have thankfully taken a turn for the better. Geithner and Bernanke did great work in getting us pulled back from the edge of a great abyss and gave us the chance at recovery. Giethner did a tremendous job in getting our international economic role and standing shored back up. The stimulus bill, while smaller than what it should have been, has stayed almost exactly on the track that was projected for it. Better than two million jobs that would not otherwise have existed, and bonus points added to a GDP growth rate that has now climbed to 5.9%, a level all but unimagineable a year ago at this time.

Are things all better now? No. Despite pervasive right-wing belief in fairy tales and superstitions, there is no such thing as a Magic Wand. Recovery will take work and lots of it. Even more than would otherwise be the case in light of the fact that one party is contributing literally nothing but mindless opposition. We are closing in nevertheless on the point where a stimulus-driven recovery can become a self-sustaining recovery. And from there, the imbalances that the Bush Economic Disaster has forced upon us all can begin to be undone.

Those are the facts. That is the history. It is only some partisan crybabies who refuse to accept it.

Old 03-14-2010, 12:21 PM

377 posts, read 326,371 times
Quote:
Wow... Roe v. Wade was overturned when a Republican was president? Which one?

You might want to rethink that. Historical federal spending data:
What does 'divided' mean in the chart you posted? Seems like the chart was designed to decieve instead of enlighten. I mean it shows 5 years of the Reagan administration as 'divided'.

Let's face it, the US will always incur debt...but debt for what? Under Bush, he exploded our debt to start unnecessary wars and give tax cuts skewed to the rich. Obama's spending is to prop up american businesses to battle the worldwide recession and keep it from becoming a depression in our country.

Old 03-14-2010, 02:49 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,698,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckhorn View Post
Obama's spending is to prop up american businesses to battle the worldwide recession and keep it from becoming a depression in our country.
I get it now. That explaines why so many businesses have closed their doors, why mini-malls sit empty, and why home prices are falling and/or builders are going under and selling half-finished homes at disaster sales. Yes, his spending really is propping up American businesses.

On a personal level, that is like the husband saying, "hey, Honey, we're drowing in bills. Let's buy something really extravagant so we can get out of debt."

You know the worst part of what you say is that it's "Obama's spending". If it was HIS money I wouldn't care, but he's being loose and reckless with OUR money. We've been telling him we want no more of that. Stop it. Cut it out! Does he listen? Do any of them listen?

Old 03-14-2010, 03:09 PM

Quote:
I get it now. That explaines why so many businesses have closed their doors, why mini-malls sit empty, and why home prices are falling and/or builders are going under and selling half-finished homes at disaster sales. Yes, his spending really is propping up American businesses.
So aren't you just as angry over all this tax money being wasted on cancer treatments? Heck, more than 500,000 people die every year from cancer, so it's not like it's working. My nephew's neighbor's mailman just died from cancer last week. I didn't see him being cured! It's obvious that this is all just another giant waste-more-of-OUR-MONEY government boondoggle. These people are all Chicago-style thugs who don't know the first thing about how to treat cancer. It's nothing but pork doled out to a bunch of liberal researchers and to reward fat cat campaign contributors. It just sickens me to have to watch the corruption of it all...

Old 03-14-2010, 03:44 PM

89,029 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckhorn View Post
What does 'divided' mean in the chart you posted? Seems like the chart was designed to decieve instead of enlighten. I mean it shows 5 years of the Reagan administration as 'divided'.
Divided means there were different majorities in the House and Senate. For example the 97th, 98th, and 99th Congresses, years 1981-1987, had a Republican majority in the Senate and a Democrat majority in the House.

Quote:
Let's face it, the US will always incur debt...but debt for what? Under Bush, he exploded our debt to start unnecessary wars and give tax cuts skewed to the rich. Obama's spending is to prop up american businesses to battle the worldwide recession and keep it from becoming a depression in our country.
Congress authorizes federal spending. That's why I posted this chart:

http://www.heritage.org/budgetchartbook/Images/federal-spending_01-850.jpg (broken link)

Old 03-14-2010, 07:38 PM

30,065 posts, read 18,670,668 times
Quote:
Divided means there were different majorities in the House and Senate. For example the 97th, 98th, and 99th Congresses, years 1981-1987, had a Republican majority in the Senate and a Democrat majority in the House.

Congress authorizes federal spending. That's why I posted this chart:

As always, great post. Saggy, of course, will ignore it, as the only information she believes is that directly approved by the Fuhrer. Facts are not on her approved reading list, therefore "peak oil", "global warming", "cap and trade", and adding 30-40 million new patients to a UHC plan (while actually saving money and reducing cost) makes perfect sense.

Talk about a laugh.

Old 03-15-2010, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
As always, great post. Saggy, of course, will ignore it, as the only information she believes is that directly approved by the Fuhrer. Facts are not on her approved reading list, therefore "peak oil", "global warming", "cap and trade", and adding 30-40 million new patients to a UHC plan (while actually saving money and reducing cost) makes perfect sense. Talk about a laugh.
I find your obsession with me cute in a Norman Rockwell sort of way. Kind of reminds me of the way a starry-eyed seven-year old might idolize a major league baseball player. No autographs today, though. Sorry...

Old 03-15-2010, 06:44 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,950,814 times
No, more like a Madoff.

When it all comes out in the wash, you find you were scammed and bilked.

Old 03-15-2010, 07:26 AM

377 posts, read 326,371 times
Quote:

On a personal level, that is like the husband saying, "hey, Honey, we're drowing in bills. Let's buy something really extravagant so we can get out of debt."

You know the worst part of what you say is that it's "Obama's spending". If it was HIS money I wouldn't care, but he's being loose and reckless with OUR money. We've been telling him we want no more of that. Stop it. Cut it out! Does he listen? Do any of them listen?
Do you have any idea what a depression does to a country?

Why do you go to a personal level? Those comparisons are always lacking b/c one's personal account is not the same thing as governmental obligations so it's really a futile exercise.

Every credible economist supports the notion of spending one's way out of a recession. Now is not the time for balanced budgets. The reckless course of action would be if Obama and the federal government acted on your advice to tighten our belts during this downturn.

Were you against Bush's tax cuts back in 2000 when the country was in recession? According to your view, Bush made a horrible mistake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies