Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 10:26 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
One of the good things in the bill is that you can keep your children on your employer insurance until they reach 26. I have 1 in college and the last one on the way and that will really be a help to me and millions of other parents. So despite the fact I think the bill stinks without a public option, it still has a few good things in it.
I agree. My oldest daughter got kicked off our insurance last year when she turned 25, even though she was still in grad school. We had to buy her some insurance from some "fly by night" company just for a little peace of mind. It didn't pay for much though. Luckily, she graduated and about 6 months later got ins. through her company. The younger one was kicked off at 22 b/c she was no longer a full time student. We did the same thing for her. She got a job 6 monthy later but then had to wait 3 months to get her employer-sponsored insurance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Obama has a problem. The American people are firmly on the side of the republicans on this one. So when he attempts to roll over the Rs, he's also doing it to the public.
I don't think the Americans are as "firm" as you'd like to believe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2010, 10:31 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,944,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
According to all the polls, they are. According to recent polls, a huge majority want the dems to start over and a huge majority disapprove of the use of reconciliation to pass a bill that will fundamentally change HC for everyone, even the 85% of people who are very satisfied with their HC.

So...we should say it is A-ok to implement a brand new massive government program that will cost trillions and totally "change" the current system because 9% of the population doesn't have insurance?

Americans aren't stupid (well, some are), they know the promises being made are just so much BS, they know the costs will sky rocket, they know you can't insure 30 million people without effecting HC that others already have, they know this because we have some great examples of government programs that are complete financial disasters.

Why do the lefties ALWAYS ignore the evidence that government can't run anything well?

Between SS and Medicare we have $100 TRILLION in unfunded liabilities - does that not give you pause on whether it is a good idea to create another huge, bloated government bureaucracy that will control your HC?

Old 03-13-2010, 10:36 AM

89,026 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Then you would be wrong. Projecting your own 'wants' and 'feelings' onto the American population does not make them want this health care reform bill to pass, no matter how much you wish it were so.

From Carter's and Clinton's pollsters...

"Bluntly put, this is the political reality:
...If it fails, as appears possible, Democrats will face the brunt of the electorate's reaction. If it passes, however, Democrats will face a far greater calamitous reaction at the polls. Wishing, praying or pretending will not change these outcomes."
washingtonpost.com

Old 03-13-2010, 11:04 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
Quote:
by obama and the democrat leadership.

Great piece by these two democrats who have tried repeatedly to sound the alarm bells regarding what the WH and the dem leadership are trying to do.
I have to wonder why Democrats would follow him off the cliff. There must be an awful lot of photos in the White House safe of naked politicians dancing around with lampshades on their head at the Congressional Christmas Party. I can see the ones who think like he does with a majority of constituents who think like he does voting along with him but the rest of them??? He can promise them jobs in his White House if they lose reelection but if he's out in two years, what good is it? There must be dirt on a lot of them.

Old 03-13-2010, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Then you would be wrong. Projecting your own 'wants' and 'feelings' onto the American population does not make them want this health care reform bill to pass, no matter how much you wish it were so.

From Carter's and Clinton's pollsters...

"Bluntly put, this is the political reality:
...If it fails, as appears possible, Democrats will face the brunt of the electorate's reaction. If it passes, however, Democrats will face a far greater calamitous reaction at the polls. Wishing, praying or pretending will not change these outcomes."
washingtonpost.com
That is the opinion of two people who wrote that opinion piece. They are projecting their "wants" and "feelings" into the Washington Post. It's what they are paid to do.

Old 03-13-2010, 11:46 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,944,793 times
Quote:
That is the opinion of two people who wrote that opinion piece. They are projecting their "wants" and "feelings" into the Washington Post. It's what they are paid to do.
They are democratic pollsters, who are trying to warn their party of the impending disaster. The article has nothing to do with "wants and feelings", but with the reality of the situation. They are not paid by the WaPo to make up stuff.

And they aren't the only ones, are they?

Carville and his partner put out a poll just recently, again warning the democrats.

Old 03-13-2010, 11:57 AM

2,538 posts, read 3,876,874 times
Quote:
The epitome of the liberal mentality. We know what is best for you - so just you sit down and take it America..

The president we elected ran as a moderate but has governed as a radical. The country does not agree with his liberal ideology on the majority of the important issues of today; taxes, spending, deficits and the role the federal government plays in our lives.

The future that obama and the liberals have planned out is NOT what the American people voted for - and you are seeing the truth to that every day.

They oppose his policies on virtually every issue.
What I find so interesting sanrene, is I feel the exact same way about republicans. They want to put their religious ideology in my kids school, denying my children true education, they want to tell my daughters what their can and cannot do with their bodies.

The last time I checked, it was a Republican who got us in this astronomical deficit, but you are intent on blaming it all on Obama. That's fine, and I doubt anyone will ever change how you believe. I have found that assuming responsibility, for republicans, it's next to impossible. At least I can openly disagree with Obama and I voice my criticism loudly. I don't think everything that he has done has been in the best interest of our country, but then again, I know how to call a spade a spade. That's the difference between us.

Old 03-13-2010, 12:04 PM

Quote:
You're deliberately ignoring the polls they've analyzed to suit your wishes. Sorry, your wishing otherwise will not make it so.

Old 03-13-2010, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyegirl View Post
What I find so interesting sanrene, is I feel the exact same way about republicans. They want to put their religious ideology in my kids school, denying my children true education, they want to tell my daughters what their can and cannot do with their bodies.
Wow... Roe v. Wade was overturned when a Republican was president? Which one?

Quote:
The last time I checked, it was a Republican who got us in this astronomical deficit.
You might want to rethink that. Historical federal spending data:

http://www.heritage.org/research/features/budgetChartbook/Images/federal-spending_01-850.jpg (broken link)

Old 03-13-2010, 12:56 PM

Polls are very dependent on the way a question is asked. The health care providers I work with are not opposed to health care reform.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies