Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2010, 11:36 AM

15,098 posts, read 8,641,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Great concept in theory. However, being the jaded sort that I am, I wouldn't believe the "this is all I had to wear today" story. Although, even if he was just making that up, it would be interesting to see his reaction if the offer of a new T-shirt was made. Hmm.
Are you kidding .. I can see that being true. I remember times when I had 3 pairs of jeans and a handful of tees ... it's one thing to re-wear a pair of jeans ... and quite another to re-wear a tee shirt or a previously worn pair of socks for a teenager.

Why should we assume he was a disrespectful punk and a liar? Have you never looked at an overfilled laundry basket and thought "Oh no ... I forgot to do laundry and I don't have many clean cloths to wear?

I don't think this is verrry far fetched ... I'd say it was verrry plausible.

It's kinda like that automatic assumption that ALL pan handlers just want a couple of bucks to buy some booze. I've offered to buy them a sandwich from time to time, and I've always received a grateful response.

Also, the old saying is that you attract more bees with honey than you will with vinegar. If we want to see a kinder, more considerate demonstration from young people ... let's try setting an example first. You get back from this world exactly what you put out there.

Old 03-22-2010, 11:38 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,957,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsong64 View Post
Just thought of another one. I got kicked out of Old Country Buffet for this one: "Merry F*ckin X-mas, B*tch!" Again, there were no kids around, just people who didn't like it. We had just gotten our first plate of food. No refund, just "I have to ask you to leave." Guess they didn't see a problem with it when I was paying, but did right after.
They were perfectly within their right to kick you out. Their concern is the health of their business, not your ability to speak freely which you don't have that right on their property anyway.

That said, you also had every right to contest the fact that they allowed you to pay and then kicked you out a bit after. I assume you received a refund by talking to the manager?

Past that, freedom of speech means absoultely nothing on private property. A person enters that property under the permission of the owner or those placed in charge by the owner to speak for him.

This is the only form of action people can take. It is perfectly in balance with respect to peoples rights. There is no need for laws, no need for mandates, just simply following the basic premise of what and where our freedoms can be applied. If people followed this, then there would be no issue.

So, if you walk in with a shirt that I think is offensive, I can go to the owner and present my complaint. If the owner agrees, he kicks you out. If he doesn't, he tells me that I will have to deal with it or I can find another business to go to.

This is the beauty of freedom.

Old 03-22-2010, 11:40 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,830,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
This is the beauty of freedom.
And yet, you would want every government intervention if this were to be exercised in a public place. Then it will be about protecting you and your family from the freedom of others.

Old 03-22-2010, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Its called Freedom of Speech.
You have the freedom to speak, not to be heard (as in force people to listen to you). That is, if you are on private property, you have no freedom of speech. You are allowed to speak as long as the owner chooses to allow you.

Old 03-22-2010, 11:44 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,830,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
You have the freedom to speak, not to be heard (as in force people to listen to you). That is, if you are on private property, you have no freedom of speech. You are allowed to speak as long as the owner chooses to allow you.
Trust me, you WILL hear it and start seeing things, when you disagree with someone's freedom of speech. And didn't I specify public place?

Old 03-22-2010, 11:46 AM

600 posts, read 1,609,704 times
As much as I agree that the t-shirt was offensive and the guy is obviously a loser - unfortunately, the boys old enough to read probably already know all about masturbation these days. Those who can't read couldn't care less what the shirt said LOL.

Old 03-22-2010, 11:47 AM

Quote:
And yet, you would want every government intervention if this were to be exercised in a public place. Then it will be about protecting you and your family from the freedom of others.
You mean public property or a public place on private property?

A mall is a "public place" only in that the public by a general default is allowed to enter. This is the same for a store, restaurant, or really any other "private" establishment.

The owner is the one who decides. If I can however convince him to my view, then that means he can remove you and you have no right to do otherwise.

This is freedom. Freedom comes with responsibility. If you can not enter society with a basic sense of respect for others, then don't be surprised if you find that "society" by its very right restricts you from enjoying the privileges of the services they may offer.

Old 03-22-2010, 11:48 AM

8 posts, read 12,625 times
I agree that it's kinda offensive but sometimes that stuff's pretty funny for some of us adults.

Some of the bumper stickers out there are hilarious.

This doesn't change the fact that kid's eyes are often subjected to it and that part's bad news.

It is what it is. Like that God-forsaken fallacy of a ******* sack that redneck punks put on the trailer hitch of their trucks. I was glad to hear that they're actually fining people in some places for that.

Old 03-22-2010, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Trust me, you WILL hear it and start seeing things, when you disagree with someone's freedom of speech. And didn't I specify public place?
I won't disagree by making comments to the person in question. I will simply head over to the owner/manager of the store, make my case and if they agree, you will be removed. It is as simple as that. You, nor I have the right to demand anything from them.

Public place does not mean public property. A mall, mall parking lot, restaurant, bar, saloon, store, etc... may be a public place, but they are not public property. Your rights to many freedoms are limited in those areas. that is, exercising those rights will be under the discretion of the owner or those placed in that authority by the owner.

Old 03-22-2010, 12:03 PM

1,233 posts, read 1,218,920 times
You lost me at the Cop part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
I was working in the Columbus Convention Center and this 19 or 20 year old is walking around with his buddy and in big print his t-shirt says, "F#*%K This PLACE, I'M GOING HOME TO MASTURBATE. " (By,the way, the f word was not blanked out, it was there in all of it's glory) Keep in mind this was about 4 in the afternoon and the place was packed with children. So, I stopped him and said, "I can't believe you're wearing that in public." and he feigned incredulity and said, "So many people are saying that to me" and I responded, " Dude, there's tons of little kids walking around" and he goes, "I didn't have anything else to wear" and I said, "You should take it off" and he said, "I can do that" and just walked away. I immediately walked over to a cop and told him about it, but at that point the punk had gone out of eye sight. SO here's my question; what has happened to decency, respect and civility? Sadly, I'm afaraid many posters are gonna call me prudish and puritanical. I'm saddened by the debasing and coarsening of society.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies