Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2010, 08:59 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,570,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
My reaction to that kind of bid for attention is to shun them or look past them as if they don't exist. Or perhaps parents with younger children who noticed the T-shirt should take that as an opportunity to loudly point out that this is the kind of person who is so desperate to have someone look at them that they will wear something offensive to get the attention, and that this is a stupid way to be.
Do you really think that's is the way to handle it? I'm trying to teach my kids that there are lots of different people and situations in the world, and they make their own opinions about them, but to impose judgement on every situation or person, and be passive-aggressive about things you don't agree with, I don't want my kids to learn that type of behavior. Either you feel strongly enough about something offensive to address the person directly, or ignore them. Passive-aggressiveness and death-stares are useless gestures.

Are people on this thread asking for censorship? Are we going to start enforcing dress-codes in public places? There are many items of clothing these days that are offensive to someone, from rude t-shirts, to burqa's, to muffin-top jeans, but are people supporting losing the liberty of choosing what clothes to wear?

Old 03-22-2010, 09:00 AM

15,096 posts, read 8,641,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
I find that shirt offensive. Was the kid wrong for wearing it? Yes. Is there anything you could or should be doing about it? No. Unless you know his mother and want to give her a call. That's how these things were handled when I was a kid. Getting the police involved is ridiculous.
Good points ... let's add to that the Tee shirt manufacturer/reseller? Why should we put the onus on the teenager for exercising good taste?

It's a mater of maturity, and these days, I see an alarming absence of it from older and older "young adults". We have 20 somethings riding skateboards and little tiny bicycles ... I gave up the skateboard when I was 10 ! Now we have college students with beards riding them. Where does this come from? The environment for which these kids are a product.

There is a complete absence of wholesome programming, such that us older folks can remember being brought up with. I remember the shows I used to watch ... the Andy Griffith Show ... I Love Lucy ... The Flintstones .. Father Knows Best .. Leave It To Beaver .. Dennis The Menace ... Flipper ... Black Beauty .. Lassie .. The Lone Ranger ... Batman ... Superman ... on and on. These shows were both entertaining and instructive ... most of them presented a message of good values ... of honesty ... responsibility ... good manners ... etc.

What has replaced these shows? The Simpsons ... Beavis & Butthead ... Family Guy .. and any number of other depraved, soulless nonsense that permeates the airwaves. Hip Hop music and the brutal attitudes toward women. The list is endless.

So, surprise surprise ... we have a society that lacks decorum. Hmmmm I wonder where it all comes from ?? It's SUCH A MYSTERY.

Old 03-22-2010, 09:02 AM

3,283 posts, read 5,209,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
I was working in the Columbus Convention Center and this 19 or 20 year old is walking around with his buddy and in big print his t-shirt says, "F#*%K This PLACE, I'M GOING HOME TO MASTURBATE. " (By,the way, the f word was not blanked out, it was there in all of it's glory) Keep in mind this was about 4 in the afternoon and the place was packed with children. So, I stopped him and said, "I can't believe you're wearing that in public." and he feigned incredulity and said, "So many people are saying that to me" and I responded, " Dude, there's tons of little kids walking around" and he goes, "I didn't have anything else to wear" and I said, "You should take it off" and he said, "I can do that" and just walked away. I immediately walked over to a cop and told him about it, but at that point the punk had gone out of eye sight. SO here's my question; what has happened to decency, respect and civility? Sadly, I'm afaraid many posters are gonna call me prudish and puritanical. I'm saddened by the debasing and coarsening of society.
so you were offended? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6k0IL8zzYxQ

Old 03-22-2010, 09:02 AM

88,617 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
As evidenced by the posts on this thread, this is not a partisan issue, despite your efforts to make it so. Both cons and libs agree that this shirt was highly offensive and crass, not to mention vulgar and selfish. There were tons of young kids there for crying pout loud. What ever happened to respect for others?
Many people do have respect for others. Not the kid with the T-shirt, obviously, and it bothers me a bit when all of society is condemned as going to hell because of what one person did. Of course there is more than one such person out there, as others have demonstrated by their stories, but sweeping statements about society as whole are not logical based on isolated incidents.

I think a lot of society's problems arise from turning the acts of individuals into a "them".

Old 03-22-2010, 09:04 AM

8,624 posts, read 9,092,613 times
Quote:
I was working in the Columbus Convention Center and this 19 or 20 year old is walking around with his buddy and in big print his t-shirt says, "F#*%K This PLACE, I'M GOING HOME TO MASTURBATE. " (By,the way, the f word was not blanked out, it was there in all of it's glory) Keep in mind this was about 4 in the afternoon and the place was packed with children. So, I stopped him and said, "I can't believe you're wearing that in public." and he feigned incredulity and said, "So many people are saying that to me" and I responded, " Dude, there's tons of little kids walking around" and he goes, "I didn't have anything else to wear" and I said, "You should take it off" and he said, "I can do that" and just walked away. I immediately walked over to a cop and told him about it, but at that point the punk had gone out of eye sight. SO here's my question; what has happened to decency, respect and civility? Sadly, I'm afaraid many posters are gonna call me prudish and puritanical. I'm saddened by the debasing and coarsening of society.

Ahhh the beauty that liberalism has brought to society. They keep it up and they will be having sex in the public parks, bathrooms and in the streets.

Oh wait! They alreay do that!

The more liberalism remains unchecked the more we will live in a cesspool.

Old 03-22-2010, 09:05 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,961,568 times
Yeah it's probably not a good thing but you have to direct your children away from them seeing it. That is all you can do.

People are always trying to control everyone else's life. You sometimes have to mind your own business. Stop telling people they can't have so many tatoos or peircings or hair too long. It's what they want. Let them live their life.

Old 03-22-2010, 09:07 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,958,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Where do you think I got the definition I posted

I looked it up and copied & pasted it here.

Maybe you should look up lewdness!!!
Quote:
Lewdness
lewd
 –adjective-er, -est.
1.inclined to, characterized by, or inciting to lust or lechery; lascivious.
2.obscene or indecent, as language or songs; salacious.
There are no physical connotations in that definition. One can be lewd without being physical. Physical lewdness is a form of lewdness.

edit:

You confused indecent exposure with public lewdness. They are not the same, though indecent exposure can be a "form" of public lewdness.

I would learn the definitions before you mouth of with such arrogance.

Old 03-22-2010, 09:11 AM

88,617 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Do you really think that's is the way to handle it? I'm trying to teach my kids that there are lots of different people and situations in the world, and they make their own opinions about them, but to impose judgement on every situation or person, and be passive-aggressive about things you don't agree with, I don't want my kids to learn that type of behavior. Either you feel strongly enough about something offensive to address the person directly, or ignore them. Passive-aggressiveness and death-stares are useless gestures.

Are people on this thread asking for censorship? Are we going to start enforcing dress-codes in public places? There are many items of clothing these days that are offensive to someone, from rude t-shirts, to burqa's, to muffin-top jeans, but are people supporting losing the liberty of choosing what clothes to wear?
I didn't say that at all, and perhaps my words need clarifying. Read my first sentence. I would ignore them because I feel strongly about not giving attention to people who are doing something solely to bring attention to themselves, which is what I believe the T-shirt kid was doing. I personally really don't care what people wear, or how they wear their hair, or how many pieces of metal they want to stick in their faces. And I am anti-censorship to my core.

The second part was just a suggestion for people on here who wanted to use the T-shirt as an opportunity for a lesson to their kids. By wearing such a T-shirt and trying to draw attention to himself, I think the wearer made himself fair game as the object of such a lesson.

Old 03-22-2010, 09:13 AM

4,500 posts, read 12,349,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funymann View Post
Yeah it's probably not a good thing but you have to direct your children away from them seeing it. That is all you can do.

People are always trying to control everyone else's life. You sometimes have to mind your own business. Stop telling people they can't have so many tatoos or peircings or hair too long. It's what they want. Let them live their life.
Frankly, I'd say that the problem is the parent, if they feel a need to direct their children away from people with some tattoos.

Then again, I suppose there's some people like dcsldcd, who'd obviously prefer to live in a police state, such as Iran.

Old 03-22-2010, 09:17 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,295,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funymann View Post

I'll occasionally ask a person with piercings how that was done because I'm interested. Some is very involved and strange to me.
To a person, they're nice people who are happy to answer questions because I'm seriously interested, not judging them.
I've learned a lot that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies