Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 12:41 PM

31 posts, read 19,551 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
Why are adults so willing to push the ugliness of adulthood so fast upon our innocent, impressionable children? Why can't we just allow our children to enjoy their childhood without learning about vulgar language and crude things?
What I don't get is what make "curse" words so offensive. They are nothing more than words. What's the difference between me exclaiming "Darn it!" and "Phukk!"? They are the same thing.

Of all the things to be offended by, language is probably the most pathetic. Plus, I've met 2 year olds who already swear!

Old 03-22-2010, 12:42 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,029,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsong64 View Post
I love t-shirts like that but I don't think you should wear them around kids.

Shirts I've had or friends have had:

"It ain't rape if it's dead"
"F**k you!"
"FBI: Female Body Inspector"
"I taught your girlfriend that thing you like"
"Real men use spit"

haha, I just really like vulgarity. *shrug*
How old are you anyways? Only the immature would take pleasure in these type of vulgar messages on T-shirts!

Old 03-22-2010, 12:44 PM

5,562 posts, read 5,685,644 times
I think you had a right to complain to him and he had a right to tell you to F off.
I find it funny you went to a COP.
It is just like most people when they dont like something they see they run to those with guns and government to "erase" something.
What you deem to be decent is your verison of the english language.
The wonderful thing about freedom is you have the right to teach your kid not to wear a t-shirt like that, if the kids even know what it means.
The world is more then words and actions it's complex and doesnt fit into a box along with all the individuals in it they are misguided and confused.
Those who wear the t-shirts make the t-shirts and those who complain about them believe in their verison of reality.
Liberty is a blessing and the responsiblity that each person has you do not have the right over that persons liberty. I find some women who are 300 pounds and wear tight clothes to be offensive but I have the liberty and freedom to look away just as they have to buy it, put it on and walk the malls in it.

Last edited by LibertyandJusticeforAll; 03-22-2010 at 01:33 PM..

Old 03-22-2010, 12:46 PM

31 posts, read 19,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aveojohn View Post
Freedom is not about adhering to the most sensitive member of society. I wouldn't allow my own child to wear a shirt like that and I would look down upon anyone wearing it, but the men who died for this country died to protect our right to wear that shirt.
If your parent did their job, you will know.
. I t wasn't meant to yell f**k you either
Yeah, but censorship is not freedom. If I wanted to live in a country that censors my speech, I'd move to Communist China, or go back into time and live under Pinochet in Chile.

People like you have no idea what freedom is, you think it means that everyone has to be just like you...when in reality it means you have to deal with a bunch of people that offend you.

If I could lock up everyone who offended me with their attire, their speech or their opinions, there'd only be a few thousand people OUT of jail. Being offended is not the same as being harmed.

Old 03-22-2010, 12:48 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,349,473 times
Quote:
Why are adults so willing to push the ugliness of adulthood so fast upon our innocent, impressionable children? Why can't we just allow our children to enjoy their childhood without learning about vulgar language and crude things?
Because the world isn't a fairytale and the kids will have one hell of a shock if they're not eased into it.

What happened to sitting down and take time to explain to kids why this or that happens in the world?

I'm not going to shield my children from things they'll easily encounter when interacting with others, nor will I hide newspapers because there's stories about terrible things, what I will do is take the time to explain it, and make sure they're not afraid of someone simply because they have tattoos or a funky t-shirt.

Quote:
The fact that kids carry weapons and would use them on someone voicing a legitimate complaint is just another illustration about how rude, crude and disrespectful our society has become.
The fact that some people think that a kid would carry a gun, based only off a juvenile t-shirt illustrates how out of touch some people are with reality.

Quote:
There is nothing beautiful about using swear words to get points across or expressing yourself in vulgar terms. You may think it's cute to say that you "love to F your buddy" but that phrase does not sound as if you have much respect for this buddy of yours. Why do adults degrade the beautiful act of sex down to the angry word "F***"?
Who says it's degrading? By your standards maybe, not necessarily by others. Fu*k can be use in a variety of ways, and the beautiful act of sex isn't brought down nor made any angrier by using a (in that situation) excitation promoting term.

...Besides, it's ok to have a passionate sexlife.

Old 03-22-2010, 12:59 PM

15,096 posts, read 8,641,275 times
The better question is, how old are you, and why are you so easily offended?

You know ... these days EVERYTHING is offensive to someone. We have become such whiners and ninnies .... "Mommy mommy ... he called me a stupid head" has become the adult version of "He used the F word". I mean, even in discussion condemning the use of a word ... we can't even say the word itself but must reference it by its first letter ... as if we were in a group of young children who wouldn't know the word if we just spelled it out ... "please, whatever you do, I'm trying to keep junior away from C, A, N, D, Y.

What are we ... a bunch of 4 years olds?

That's exactly how many behave.

Old 03-22-2010, 01:02 PM

2,058 posts, read 3,305,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
They were perfectly within their right to kick you out. Their concern is the health of their business, not your ability to speak freely which you don't have that right on their property anyway.

That said, you also had every right to contest the fact that they allowed you to pay and then kicked you out a bit after. I assume you received a refund by talking to the manager?

Past that, freedom of speech means absoultely nothing on private property. A person enters that property under the permission of the owner or those placed in charge by the owner to speak for him.

Oh, I know that. I'm just complaining No, I didn't ask for a refund. That was my mistake. I was kind of shocked (although I probaly shouldnt have been) I guess I just thought it would be ok because the place was dead other than a few other couples. And I was afraid they would call the police if I didn't leave right away. I highly doubt they would have given me a refund, but I do wish I would have asked.

Old 03-22-2010, 01:08 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,733,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
Er...is there supposed to be some difference between those and one's grandfather, father, or son?

What century are you living in, exactly?
Last time I checked it was 2010 and some of us still exercised decorum while going about our daily lives.

Would you have no issue with a shirt listing the chorus of the "Eat Bite Song" on it being worn around your family? (To be fair and include G'pas, dads, and sons)
► Eat Bite - John Valby song lyrics ♪

I would wager half the rude people on any internet board are only so because of the anonymity the web provides. Chances are most of them would be civil, if not courteous, which is why we don't see droves of sullen teens wearing vulgar shirts.
-------------------------------------------------------------
Out of curiosity -- how many of the people who have responded 'It's no biggie" to the T-shirt issue, actually own a vulgar T shirt and wear it in public for all to see?

Old 03-22-2010, 01:10 PM

2,058 posts, read 3,305,493 times
Quote:
The fact that kids carry weapons and would use them on someone voicing a legitimate complaint is just another illustration about how rude, crude and disrespectful our society has become.
hahaha! you think just because a person has an offensive t-shirt on, it's likely they're going to have a weapon? AND use it on you for commenting on the shirt??? Completely silly.

Old 03-22-2010, 01:14 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,295,951 times
Quote:
There is nothing beautiful about using swear words to get points across or expressing yourself in vulgar terms. You may think it's cute to say that you "love to F your buddy" but that phrase does not sound as if you have much respect for this buddy of yours. Why do adults degrade the beautiful act of sex down to the angry word "F***"?
I like to use actual words to describe what I do; yeah, I F, and I like it.
I don't need flowery words to describe a physical act.

What's degrading to use the word that means just that.

Don't tell me who or what I respect; trust me, you're not on that list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies