Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2010, 09:37 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,701,378 times

Advertisements

With our elected official yelling "Baby Killer" in the Congress and Yelling "You Lie" during the State of the Union, what can you expect of Teenagers

Old 03-21-2010, 10:26 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,023,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
I was working in the Columbus Convention Center and this 19 or 20 year old is walking around with his buddy and in big print his t-shirt says, "F#*%K This PLACE, I'M GOING HOME TO MASTURBATE. " (By,the way, the f word was not blanked out, it was there in all of it's glory) Keep in mind this was about 4 in the afternoon and the place was packed with children. So, I stopped him and said, "I can't believe you're wearing that in public." and he feigned incredulity and said, "So many people are saying that to me" and I responded, " Dude, there's tons of little kids walking around" and he goes, "I didn't have anything else to wear" and I said, "You should take it off" and he said, "I can do that" and just walked away. I immediately walked over to a cop and told him about it, but at that point the punk had gone out of eye sight. SO here's my question; what has happened to decency, respect and civility? Sadly, I'm afaraid many posters are gonna call me prudish and puritanical. I'm saddened by the debasing and coarsening of society.
It is appalling to me as well. I just don't get the current generation and all of the crudity that is openly on display. Before anyone calls me an old fart, I'm only 36 years old.

Old 03-21-2010, 10:32 PM

1,384 posts, read 2,347,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
It is appalling to me as well. I just don't get the current generation and all of the crudity that is openly on display. Before anyone calls me an old fart, I'm only 36 years old.

Are you saying that 19 year olds weren't rebellious when you were that age. Sure, the t-shirt may be offensive, but to act like 19 year olds haven't been rebelling for the past 50 years is just as ridiculous.

Old 03-21-2010, 10:45 PM

1,928 posts, read 3,645,564 times
It's not that he wore that shirt it's that wearing a jacket to cover the words as was suggested earlier might have been a good idea out in public. I wasn't a rocket scientist when I was 19 and that was in the rowdy 70's. But I had some common sense. It's not that hard to figure out.

Old 03-21-2010, 11:09 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,919,758 times
I saw a girl with a shirt that said "jesus is a C*nt"...

is it rude? yep
is it just a stupid shirt worn by a even more stupid little kid? YEP

build a bridge and get over it people..

Old 03-21-2010, 11:13 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Film ratings do not tell parents what to decide; they are there to tell parents what they can expect, and allow parents to decide what is best for their children based upon the parental values.

Do you feel it is appropriate, respectful, and completely reasonable for a young adult to wear a shirt with an obscenity on it (and subsequent private action) in a public place where there are children present?

This is about having respect for oneself and those around oneself. It is about having manners and consideration for others. It is about exercising common sense. It is about poor judgment. It is not about freedom of speech.

The young man with the F shirt is out there looking to get a rise out of someone. Would you confront a stranger in a public place? You have no idea whether the person is stable, for starters.

The person wearing the vulgar shirt has the choice -- toss on button-down shirt, sweatshirt, etc., and once you've reached the bar, club, dorm, buddy's house, cheeky slogan shirt club, etc., feel free to wear what you wish. I'm not about taking his choice away, I am about him being respectful to others around him.

Easy rule of thumb: If it isn't something you would want someone else saying to your mother, sister or grandmother, don't wear it in a place where someone else's mother sister or grandmother might be.
Then why bother having kids?
Great, another helicopter parent.
Your kid has seen murders on TV over 100 times by the time they're 6; they see violence every day on TV; violent sex against women, etc.
They know about war.

And you're worried about a t-shirt.

Old 03-21-2010, 11:20 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,865,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
You're such a trendy hipster, go on with your bad self, you trendy hipster, you.
The more times i see this immature phrase incessantly repeated by you, the more i question your maturity level.

Old 03-22-2010, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer75 View Post
Freedom of speech ends when that speech will HARM someone or threats to harm. Not because some kids wants to beat his meat. Come now.

Talk about DRAMA!
I'm sorry but I do not wish to go to a public place and have visualizations of a young kid that I do not know masterbating. That is TOO much information! Keep it to yourself!

Old 03-22-2010, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer75 View Post
Oh Lord!!!!!

So let's ban "I'M SEXY"...because we'll get visuals of people being sexual!

Wow....uptight!
It's not "uptight" to want to enjoy being in a public place without having vulgar images painted in your mind by a stranger's offensive t-shirt.

Old 03-22-2010, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by specialrequest View Post
Kids wouldn't need to be able to read an offensive t-shirt or bumper sticker to be affected by it. Usually kids are pretty intuitive about the vibes and emotions of their parents or other adults, so if the shirt were to get a reaction from adults they would want to know why- this would lead to the parent having to explain it, or not,depending on their parenting style, thus being affected by it. My feeling is that the parents would not have to be put into this situation if not for someone who is too immature to think of others or they would not have been wearing the offensive message in the first place. I am not a parent myself, so I am not being an overly protective parent. I am just aware of my responsibilities when out in public to behave in a civilized manner, especially around children- and yes they will eventually be exposed to such vulgarities as they grow up, but with that logic as an argument for the wearing of such messages on t-shirts, you might as well start swearing at babies- why wait at all to expose them, the sooner the better right?

I also hate to see how prevalent actual vocal swearing in public has become- I have heard many times while shopping- teens swearing in public while talking on their cell phones loudly, while little kids are nearby with their parents shopping-
I guess it is just a lack of respect that is part of society today-sad to see our culture heading this way- and it is neither a left or right issue really, and really hasn't been caused by one or the other side of the aisle-just basic eroding of manners due to the breakdown of the family structure that is a part of the fact that the one family income is a thing of the past and that kids are being raised more and more affected by outside influences-television, media,etc.
100% agreed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies