Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 09:00 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,787,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Thank you Purple...that clip said it all.

Stop fostering the dependence. The poor are not helpless..they are just poor. But they keep on treating them like they are disabled shut-ins.
I don't want anyone dependent on the government BUT we shouldn't act like people won't ever need a safety net. That is precisely why I want a more robust social safety net for people.
This recession is proving to many people that bad things can happen to them.
Have you not read the reports about the increase in people visiting food pantries? Most of these people were once middle class but once they lost their job....that was it. There are more people losing their homes and they're living out their cars.

Of course the US' priorities are screwed so we'd rather funnel billions into two wars we can't win rather than have universal health care, low tuition public universities and colleges, work on our infrastructure (mass transit, high speed rail, water quality, etc), etc, etc.

ACORN does more than just register poor people to vote. They advocate for a raise in the minimum wage and they try to help people find jobs. What is so wrong with that? Of course I know Big Business would HATE to see a raise in the minimum wage and if you watch that Rachel Maddow clip, you'll learn a lot about the origins of rottenAcorn.com.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2010, 09:32 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
ACORN does not speak for all Americans. ACORN has their agenda.
Keep justifying the NEED for that dependence.

I'm all for safety nets. But we've gone too far.
We need people to help poor people find jobs now because they cannot do it for themselves ?
We need people to help poor people fill out a post card because they cannot do it for themselves ?

Why isn't ACORN protesting outside of Walmarts for better working conditions/benefits ?
Why isn't ACORN protesting outside of city governments for better mass transit ?

Why isn't ACORN actively trying to foster INDEPENDENCE in the poor ? That is helping them.
What they do today is not helping them. It is nothing more than government funded dependence.

Keep the peasants fat, lazy and stupid and there will be no rebellion.

Old 03-21-2010, 10:08 AM

5,376 posts, read 5,346,581 times
Quote:

Hmmm - from what I've seen, the tea party pretty much fits most of that description.

Too many burgers and Beck.

Old 03-21-2010, 10:19 AM

Quote:

We need people to help poor people find jobs now because they cannot do it for themselves ?
We need people to help poor people fill out a post card because they cannot do it for themselves ?

Why isn't ACORN protesting outside of Walmarts for better working conditions/benefits ?
Why isn't ACORN protesting outside of city governments for better mass transit ?

Why isn't ACORN actively trying to foster INDEPENDENCE in the poor ? That is helping them.
What they do today is not helping them. It is nothing more than government funded dependence.

You could pretty much replace ACORN with the name of any Political Party or Group.

They are a easy target to find issue with, real and imagined.

(I was going to go through each line, but I'd rather go out and enjoy a walk with my dog......)

Old 03-21-2010, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plannine View Post
You could pretty much replace ACORN with the name of any Political Party or Group.

They are a easy target to find issue with, real and imagined.
Ok but why do all these groups that are in place and funded to help the poor foster dependence rather than independence ?

There's a helping hand and then there's a crutch.

Old 03-21-2010, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Ok but why do all these groups that are in place and funded to help the poor foster dependence rather than independence ?

There's a helping hand and then there's a crutch.

There are millions of people, worldwide, that just cannot function the way most people do. Many, can not work, and many, you would not want working, and many when they do find some work, it sends them further down, rather then up.

Old 03-21-2010, 03:38 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,787,921 times
Quote:

In terms of safety nets, I'd say we haven't gone far enough.

As for your last sentence, I'd replace the words "fat" and "lazy" with "scared" and "obedient."

People fearing the loss of their jobs generally aren't going to fight for better working conditions when they know it's much harder to find a new job IF their employer decides for fire them for speaking up.

There's a reason companies spend so much money on union busters.

Old 03-21-2010, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
In terms of safety nets, I'd say we haven't gone far enough.

As for your last sentence, I'd replace the words "fat" and "lazy" with "scared" and "obedient."

People fearing the loss of their jobs generally aren't going to fight for better working conditions when they know it's much harder to find a new job IF their employer decides for fire them for speaking up.

There's a reason companies spend so much money on union busters.
Unions ? ACORN is working with the Unions ?

I don't buy the "scared" and "obedient"..no way.
From the volunteer work I've done there are grateful people and then there are the, let's just say "others". They are not scared and obedient, not by any means. I have to bite my tongue and hope that there are more of the former than the latter that rely on these safety nets in our society.

Old 03-21-2010, 07:36 PM

938 posts, read 1,230,499 times
"Poor" is a state of mind. not a state of being.

Old 03-21-2010, 08:26 PM

1,599 posts, read 2,948,186 times
Quote:

I disagree with all of this.

Finding a job is tough for everyone, especially now. But try and find one when you have a psychiatric, intellectual or physical impairment. Try to find one when you have a criminal history, are homeless or have no car.

How is helping a significant portion of the population find employment not fostering independence? If these people get a job, we all win. If they remain unemployed, they'll end up collecting welfare or extended unemployment which is MUCH more costly than job coaching.

IMO, you're being penny wise and pound foolish.

Last edited by songgirl; 03-21-2010 at 08:37 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies