Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 03:12 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,812,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromMaine View Post
Why should insurance cover abortion if the mother's health is not at risk? Since being pregnant
is not an ailment i think it's a none essential luxury such as laser eye surgery or na nose job.
For some pregnancy is an ailment.
You ever heard the stories of women who had morning sickness all the time or those who could barely keep food down during pregnancy?

Pregnancy can be down right dangerous in this country: Two Women a Day Die Giving Birth in America -- and Many of These Deaths Can Be Prevented | Reproductive Justice | AlterNet
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2010, 03:12 PM

37,162 posts, read 42,326,823 times
I'm not sure if this is completely accurate but...

FACTBOX-US healthcare bill would provide immediate benefits | Reuters

Quote:
Here is what to expect if the bill becomes law:

WITHIN THE FIRST YEAR OF ENACTMENT

*Insurance companies will be barred from dropping people from coverage when they get sick. Lifetime coverage limits will be eliminated and annual limits are to be restricted.

*Insurers will be barred from excluding children for coverage because of pre-existing conditions.

*Young adults will be able to stay on their parents' health plans until the age of 26. Many health plans currently drop dependents from coverage when they turn 19 or finish college.

*Uninsured adults with a pre-existing conditions will be able to obtain health coverage through a new program that will expire once new insurance exchanges begin operating in 2014.

*A temporary reinsurance program is created to help companies maintain health coverage for early retirees between the ages of 55 and 64. This also expires in 2014.

*Medicare drug beneficiaries who fall into the "doughnut hole" coverage gap will get a $250 rebate. The bill eventually closes that gap which currently begins after $2,700 is spent on drugs. Coverage starts again after $6,154 is spent.

*A tax credit becomes available for some small businesses to help provide coverage for workers.

*A 10 percent tax on indoor tanning services that use ultraviolet lamps goes into effect on July 1.
Read on for what is supposed to happen every year after this.

Old 03-21-2010, 03:16 PM

90,296 posts, read 121,020,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Bloom View Post
Guess you'll have to show us the link to that one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymie View Post
Read the bill .
In other words, you have no proof. Not even a page from the bill. I think in your case, you can sterilize the instruments in the abortion clinic to qualify for your "work-study" insurance alluded to earlier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
The promise of help should not be confused with actual help.
When you run out of arguments, use something like this.

Old 03-21-2010, 03:16 PM

89,348 posts, read 45,082,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Quote:
*Insurers will be barred from excluding children for coverage because of pre-existing conditions.
Correct. Adults will have to wait until the health insurance exchange is up and running in 2014.

Old 03-21-2010, 03:17 PM

Quote:

FACTBOX-US healthcare bill would provide immediate benefits | Reuters

Read on for what is supposed to happen every year after this.
Insurance companies cannot ban children from obtaining health insurance due to pre-existing conditions IMMEDIATELY.

They cannot ban adults from obtaining health insurance due to pre-existing conditions until 2014 I believe.
If they do deny someone health insurance due to a pre-existing condition, they'll ONLY be fined $100 per day.

I like the point about keeping young adults on their family's plan. Thankfully I am on my mom's until I'm done with college.

I'd much rather have a single-payer health care system.

The pre-existing conditions thing and allowing young adults to stay on their parents plan is just crumbs compared to what we'd be gaining with single-payer. What good is the ability to have your young child on your health insurance plan if you can't even afford the premium, you can't get health insurance due to a pre-existing condition, or you can't even afford your deductible?

Old 03-21-2010, 03:19 PM

37,162 posts, read 42,326,823 times
Quote:
I like the point about keeping young adults on their family's plan. Thankfully I am on my mom's until I'm done with college.
Yes. That's the part I'm excited about too since my eldest is graduating college in May and her job offers so far don't include benefits like health insurance.

Old 03-21-2010, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Yes. That's the part I'm excited about too since my eldest is graduating college in May and her job offers so far don't include benefits like health insurance.
My mom said she'd pay for just a few college classes for me just to keep me on her plan if I don't find a job that offers health insurance once I graduate.

Yet another reason we need to stop tying health insurance/health care to employment.

I hope your daughter finds something good soon!

Old 03-21-2010, 03:21 PM

89,348 posts, read 45,082,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
What good is the ability to have your young child on your health insurance plan if you can't even afford the premium, you can't get health insurance due to a pre-existing condition, or you can't even afford your deductible?
Good question...

This bill isn't about health care. It's about generating additional tax and fine revenues for the government, and a "win" for Obama.

Old 03-21-2010, 03:24 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,247,709 times
Quote:
Read the bill .
As I thought. Kinda tough to find something that is not there........ But since the bill will pass, you will surely be able to provide links to all the horror stories that you have suggested will become reality. Looking forward to your "told ya so" thread. And maybe by then, you will have mastered the art of including the actual references via a link.

Old 03-21-2010, 03:26 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,333,608 times
Quote:
That could be in the bill , we don't know .
Then why not read the bill.
You can read American standard English, can't you?
The punctuation they will be using is American standard as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies