Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 12:54 AM

3,633 posts, read 5,791,944 times

Advertisements

Well who can tell me why we won't receive the benefits..lol...of this bill until 2018? I was against this bill based on the abortion portion of it, and the mandates that fine citizens if they refuse to pick a health care provider. It's ridiculous. This is supposed to be a "free" country, but I can go to jail for not having health-care?

My opinion on why the abortion language is in this bill is because I believe that in the years to come the government will fall in line with China and their one-child policy.

Any other theories, or answers to my main question about 2018?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2010, 12:57 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,685,125 times
There are immediate benefits. Many of the big ones are listed here:

FACTBOX-U.S. healthcare bill would provide immediate benefits | Reuters

Old 03-22-2010, 01:41 AM

2,684 posts, read 6,889,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post

Thanks for this little fact box, I guess I'm insured again.

Still don't know that this bill was the right move however. Worried about taxes going up. Oh yeah, and that the medical biz will turn into a huge bureaucratic failure.

I think the Dems, right or wrong, put the final nail in their coffin for 2010 & 2012. Tax hikes in a recession is bad policy.

Old 03-22-2010, 02:22 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,894,387 times
The best comparison on the bills is at kff.org. The pool does not start unitl 2014. Right now there will be money for those that have pre existing conditons to help pay for their coverage. From my understanding that goes to insurnace companies to cover that increase in pay outs to providers for covering the pre-existing conditions.The full plan does not go into effect until 2014 when the fine also does. It starts at 95 dollars in 2014 and then goes up to like 200 in following years.Where I see the taxes going up for most is at teh sate levelos. Theypaln on putting many more at lower income levels in medicaid. That is also sate funded with ehlp for some years to sates. But that ends and the sates must pikup the cost to get the first money ehlp. That is the unfunded mandate to sates. that will mean increased state funding/taxes. thatnsiwhere soem of teh deals made to senators comes in.The louisana pucahse so called for example which was not inf act changes just changed. The change is if another state has a disaster like katrina it could get the same funding supposingly.

Last edited by texdav; 03-22-2010 at 02:51 AM..

Old 03-22-2010, 02:31 AM

3,633 posts, read 5,791,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
If you don't have coverage you wil have to shop for one and have it by 2014 or face the fine.

that is one of the main reasons that this bill is wrong. We are in a free society...well it used to be totally free but we wouldn't understand that kind of freedom ever since laws like the Patriot Act were put in place, and now this bill....well someone tell me why i will be fined or go to jail if I refuse to pay for someone to insure me......maybe i have lots of cash and dont feel like using insurance....so someone tell me where this feels like we are in a "free" country?

Old 03-22-2010, 02:35 AM

3,292 posts, read 4,476,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jufrbo View Post

Still don't know that this bill was the right move however. Worried about taxes going up. Oh yeah, and that the medical biz will turn into a huge bureaucratic failure.
Turn into??????

Old 03-22-2010, 05:55 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,451,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorRob305 View Post
Well who can tell me why we won't receive the benefits..lol...of this bill until 2018?
Others have already pointed out that your premise is incorrect - there are substantial benefits that kick in this year.
In six months, all new plans will have to cover the full cost of preventive care, including annual physicals and children's immunizations. Insurers won't be able to require prior approval for patients who need to see gynecologists or go to the emergency room.

Children with medical conditions will no longer be denied coverage, and states will receive $5 billion to create high-risk insurance pools to provide affordable coverage to adults with preexisting conditions. Insurers will also be barred from imposing lifetime limits on benefits and from dropping people when they file a claim.

For seniors, the bill will immediately expand the Medicare drug benefit and, effective July 1, provide a 50 percent discount on brand-name drugs for the low-income elderly.
Source

Old 03-22-2010, 06:00 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,668,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post

Thanks for posting factual information. The biggest fear for many Americans, bankruptcy due to medical bills, has been eliminated this year with the removal of caps.

Old 03-22-2010, 06:06 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,668,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jufrbo View Post

I think the Dems, right or wrong, put the final nail in their coffin for 2010 & 2012. Tax hikes in a recession is bad policy.
It has been a bureaucratic failure for decades, and that is why the cost of health care has doubled every 8 years. Strange how people complain about taxes, but not about health care costs going up 100% in eight years. The HC cost hurts me a heck of a lot more than taxes.

Old 03-22-2010, 06:16 AM

395 posts, read 511,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorRob305 View Post
This is supposed to be a "free" country, but I can go to jail for not having health-care?
Well, you can go to jail for not paying taxes, and many of those tax dollars go to things we don't support sometimes. (e.g. a pointless war)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies