Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 02:29 PM

89,033 posts, read 44,853,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinkieMcGee View Post
And what if the numbers that are being thrown by these corporations are complete garbage?
You don't file garbage with the SEC.

More light shed on this...

"Most of these people [in the Administration] have never had a real job in their lives. They don't understand a thing about business, and that includes the President," says a senior lobbyist for one of the companies that announced the charge. "My CEO sat with the President over lunch with two other CEOs, and each of them tried to explain to the President what this bill would do to our companies and the economy in general. First the President didn't understand what they were talking about. Then he basically told my boss he was lying. Frankly my boss was embarrassed for him; he clearly had not been briefed and didn't know what was in the bill."
Neither Waxman or Stupak ...had anything more than a cursory understanding of how the many sections of the bill would impact business or even individual citizens before they voted on the bill, says House Energy Democrat staff. "We had memos on these issues, but none of our people, we think, looked at them," says a staffer. "When they saw the stories last week about the charges some of the companies were taking, they were genuinely surprised and assumed that the companies were just doing this to embarrass them. They really believed this bill would immediately lower costs. They just didn't understand what they were voting on."
Obama in Rude Denial
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2010, 02:32 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,509,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
Question, what would be the motive for falsifying their perceived expenditures? The bill has already passed and become law. If there was the motive of swaying public (and congressional) opinion by putting out cost estimates of the bill, then maybe there is some merit to your claim.

Sounds to me more like a witch hunt. Are these CEO's under some court order to testify? If not, I'd give Obama the finger.
Can't give 'em the finger. Though I'd like to see it. It's bad for business.

They will have to sit there and listen to congressional crap much like the gas company execs had to. And insurance people. And Toyota.

And then we wonder why these companies keep moving overseas.

I swear if I was one of these guys I'd go and tell congress to go f*ck themselves. LOLs. I swear that would be so funny.

Old 03-29-2010, 02:33 PM

470 posts, read 462,195 times
The arrogance and ineptitude of this administration is history making to put it politely. And the left has the gall to call Obama smart? Sounds like he's pretty foolishly stupid if you ask me.

Old 03-29-2010, 02:34 PM

37,982 posts, read 22,163,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizjo View Post
Today, Neil Cavuto.....Waxman, Stupak calling for heads of ATT, Deere, Caterpillar to testify about their recent statements claiming they'll take financial hits from healthcare reform. They've been asked to supply emails and other supporting documents.
Little fascists like Waxman are throwing a little hissy fit, so they want to bring the full wrath of government down on these companies, to deter any other would be complainers from sending out a press releases that reveals the damage caused by 0bamaCare,

Old 03-29-2010, 02:36 PM

5,562 posts, read 5,684,460 times
Testify? interesting. I will have to wait and see if they have to "testify"

Old 03-29-2010, 02:38 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,131,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post

"Most of these people [in the Administration] have never had a real job in their lives. They don't understand a thing about business, and that includes the President," says a senior lobbyist for one of the companies that announced the charge. "My CEO sat with the President over lunch with two other CEOs, and each of them tried to explain to the President what this bill would do to our companies and the economy in general. First the President didn't understand what they were talking about. Then he basically told my boss he was lying. Frankly my boss was embarrassed for him; he clearly had not been briefed and didn't know what was in the bill."
Neither Waxman or Stupak ...had anything more than a cursory understanding of how the many sections of the bill would impact business or even individual citizens before they voted on the bill, says House Energy Democrat staff. "We had memos on these issues, but none of our people, we think, looked at them," says a staffer. "When they saw the stories last week about the charges some of the companies were taking, they were genuinely surprised and assumed that the companies were just doing this to embarrass them. They really believed this bill would immediately lower costs. They just didn't understand what they were voting on."
Obama in Rude Denial
This is High-Level Incompetence folks. Just think....hundreds, if not thousands, of decisions are made in government every single day, yet we'll never know just how bad we're being raped and pillaged because the scope and scale of it all is simply incomprehensible. This should enrage citizens of every political stripe.

Old 03-29-2010, 02:44 PM

3,292 posts, read 4,475,416 times
Quote:

Obama in Rude Denial
In that case there is nothing to worry about Corporations aren't lying in order to drum up dissent in the media and get parts of the bill thrown out, and the democrats will look dumb.

Old 03-29-2010, 02:44 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,509,122 times
Quote:

Obama in Rude Denial
Interesting. Doesn't surprise me. I never thought Obama was too bright.

It's really pretty simple. A new tax or regulation adds operating expenses for a company. That's any tax or any regulation.

The company can rarely pass this cost on to consumers like people say because their competitor might not raise prices. And if the product gets too expensive the consumer stops buying.

This leaves the company with very limited options:

1. Shut down completely

2. Relocate where the tax or regulation does not exist (usually overseas)

3. Eat the cost and make less of a profit

4. Slow production/services to avoid the extra tax. This usually results in layoffs as there is less work to do.

That's about the only options an employer has.

These regulations also make it that much more difficult for new companies to emerge. Who has all that start-up money to deal with the government? That allows the big muti-nationals to get even bigger as it is easier for them to avoid this crap or just eat the cost.

Until democrats and republicans in D.C. understand these simple economic concepts we are all f*cked.

Politicians, especially democrats, think these corporations have an unlimited supply of money and if they don't play along then they are just being greedy.

Now some mentally deficient liberal will come on here and call me names and say I'm all for the rich. And they are too retarded to see it is the democrats helping the rich and squeezing the middle class and poor. But they won't try and dispute the substance of what I said. They can't, because I'm right and their wrong. Or they'll just blame it on George Bush. LOLS.

I wish we could stuff all the liberals down a well and seal off the top with Oprah's fat ass.

Old 03-29-2010, 02:57 PM

37,982 posts, read 22,163,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinkieMcGee View Post
And what if the numbers that are being thrown by these corporations are complete garbage? It's very interesting that you take the word of a corporation without question it at all.
From Bloomberg News:

AT&T previously received a tax-free benefit from the government to subsidize health-care costs for retirees, who would otherwise be on a Medicare Part D plan. Under the new bill, AT&T will no longer be able to deduct that subsidy.

“As a result of this legislation, including the additional tax burden, AT&T will be evaluating prospective changes to the active and retiree health-care benefits offered by the company,” the carrier said in the filing.

Apparently, under Bush, the government offered tax incentives for businesses to take on the costs of supplying prescription drugs in their retirement plans to their employees, thereby relieving the federal Medicare Part D from having to cover the costs. Now the government is taxing them on this, so companies will be dropping their prescription drug coverage from their retirement plans, forcing more people onto the government plan. So much for keeping costs down.

Old 03-29-2010, 03:02 PM

2,196 posts, read 1,995,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I need to read up on this. It's either a witch-hunt designed to excoriate businesses for embarrassing Democrats mere hours after the bill passed, or its meant to find out how bad Democrats' f*cked up with this piece of legislation.

Either way, it doesn't look good. But reality sucks sometimes. Democrats should have read the bill.
AeroGuyDC !!! ... BRAVO !

Your last sentence speaks untold volumes regarding the shocking level of ignorance regarding todays so called "Democratic Politicians" !

It appears that these extremely "Dopey" and sadly "Pretentious" folks are indeed "Hell Bent" on the destruction of America !

If only they had the "Smarts" to realize that they are also destroying their very own little azzzzzzzzzzzzes in the process !

Truly their excessive "Lunacy" is off the scale !!!!!

Thanks / Old Sgt. Lamar
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies