Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 10:47 PM

3,387 posts, read 6,634,408 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
The true face of the anti-universal coverage populace shows it's ugly head in the above replies by irspow and Moose Whisperer.

The moment you boil down the right to life or death to a bunch of businessmen means your valuing of the sanctity of life is for naught and you violate the very Christian beliefs you claim to hold dear. See you in hell, morons.
Guess it's a good thing some of us don't subscribe in that fallacy called "hell".

And not all of us subscribe to Christianity either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2010, 05:26 AM

23,175 posts, read 26,235,780 times
What's 3 pages of posts about?
According to the op link:

"A five-hour surgery to correct the defect was performed Friday, and Houston is doing well. He is being fed through a tube and must learn to swallow. But he should be able to go home within a couple of weeks, Tracy said"

The kid has had the surgery
The parents made a bad decision in not having coverage themselves..no different than millions of other people that made bad financial decisions with housing, credit card debt, etc.....and will now have to figure out how to pay for it
Don't suggest insurance would have been too expensive because then I'll ask why they were having another child.

Old 04-06-2010, 06:12 AM

4,564 posts, read 4,110,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
When you peel away the feel good "right" to health care, you're left with the underlying odious stench of theft:

A right to health care would entitle me to walk into any physician’s office and demand to be treated for free. The law would require the physician to comply with my demand. I could enter any pharmacy and demand any drugs I wanted for free, and the pharmacist would have to give them to me. Every hospital would be at my beck and call, required by law to serve me. It would be my right.
Didn't I see a conservative post about the end to Exceptional Freedom quoting a speech from Paul Ryan?

A right to something grants choice and freedom. Without rights, there can be no freedom. Yet it seems under the opinions of conservatives we have few rights and few freedoms because it might hold back the greed of a few exceptionally rich.

One thing is for sure this kid will never know the exceptional freedom Paul Ryan speaks of, and we have the conservatives to thank for that.

Old 04-06-2010, 06:17 AM

4,564 posts, read 4,110,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
What's 3 pages of posts about?
According to the op link:

"A five-hour surgery to correct the defect was performed Friday, and Houston is doing well. He is being fed through a tube and must learn to swallow. But he should be able to go home within a couple of weeks, Tracy said"

The kid has had the surgery
The parents made a bad decision in not having coverage themselves..no different than millions of other people that made bad financial decisions with housing, credit card debt, etc.....and will now have to figure out how to pay for it
Don't suggest insurance would have been too expensive because then I'll ask why they were having another child.
If you want to complain about them having another child. Statistically, no form of birth control is perfect short of getting an expensive surgery (which they obviously couldn't afford) and parents were probably too scared to get an abortion because they could be killed by some right wing crusader out to kill another abortion doctor and they get caught in the crossfire.

The "what if" game can be played all day. The kid has been brought into this world and has a right to life now. The better question to ask instead of whining about fiscal responsibility is this: Does this defenseless helpless child have a right to life, and does that right trump the greed of a few wealthy people?

Old 04-06-2010, 06:29 AM

1,321 posts, read 1,537,784 times
[SIZE=3]The following was made law in the health care bill. A privaate army. Hmmm. Was I in favor of THIS health care bill? No. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]SEC[/SIZE]. 5210. ESTABLISHING A READY RESERVE CORPS.

Section 203 of the Public Health Service Act (42 U.S.C. 204) is amended to read as follows:

`SEC. 203. COMMISSIONED CORPS AND READY RESERVE CORPS.

`(a) Establishment-

`(1) IN GENERAL- There shall be in the Service a commissioned Regular Corps and a Ready Reserve Corps for service in time of national emergency.

`(2) REQUIREMENT- All commissioned officers shall be citizens of the United States and shall be appointed without regard to the civil-service laws and compensated without regard to the Classification Act of 1923, as amended.

`(3) APPOINTMENT- Commissioned officers of the Ready Reserve Corps shall be appointed by the President and commissioned officers of the Regular Corps shall be appointed by the President with the advice and consent of the Senate.

`(4) ACTIVE DUTY- Commissioned officers of the Ready Reserve Corps shall at all times be subject to call to active duty by the Surgeon General, including active duty for the purpose of training.

`(5) WARRANT OFFICERS- Warrant officers may be appointed to the Service for the purpose of providing support to the health and delivery systems maintained by the Service and any warrant officer appointed to the Service shall be considered for purposes of this Act and title 37, United States Code, to be a commissioned officer within the Commissioned Corps of the Service.

`(b) Assimilating Reserve Corp Officers Into the Regular Corps- Effective on the date of enactment of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, all individuals classified as officers in the Reserve Corps under this section (as such section existed on the day before the date of enactment of such Act) and serving on active duty shall be deemed to be commissioned officers of the Regular Corps.

`(c) Purpose and Use of Ready Research-

`(1) PURPOSE- The purpose of the Ready Reserve Corps is to fulfill the need to have additional Commissioned Corps personnel available on short notice (similar to the uniformed service's reserve program) to assist regular Commissioned Corps personnel to meet both routine public health and emergency response missions.

`(2) USES- The Ready Reserve Corps shall--

`(A) participate in routine training to meet the general and specific needs of the Commissioned Corps;

`(B) be available and ready for involuntary calls to active duty during national emergencies and public health crises, similar to the uniformed service reserve personnel;

`(C) be available for backfilling critical positions left vacant during deployment of active duty Commissioned Corps members, as well as for deployment to respond to public health emergencies, both foreign and domestic; and

`(D) be available for service assignment in isolated, hardship, and medically underserved communities (as defined in section 799B) to improve access to health services.

`(d) Funding- For the purpose of carrying out the duties and responsibilities of the Commissioned Corps under this section, there are authorized to be appropriated $5,000,000 for each of fiscal years 2010 through 2014 for recruitment and training and $12,500,000 for each of fiscal years 2010 through 2014 for the Ready Reserve Corps.'.

Old 04-06-2010, 06:32 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,133,357 times
This isn't about a right to lifers issues.

Isn't the right to life absolute, or is it based on ability to pay?

Last edited by carterstamp; 04-06-2010 at 06:44 AM..

Old 04-06-2010, 06:35 AM

3,599 posts, read 6,789,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
The conservatives don't care if that baby dies. Once it was born, it ceased to have any value to the Republicans. But if this defect could have been diagnosed before birth and the mother rushed in for an abortion, the Republicans would be calling her a "baby killer".
I don't think you realize how socialized medicine societies work. They do what's "best for the system, not the individual" I have friends who work in Canada, the UK and my aunt was a practicing physician in France (I can't believe the French government let her retire when she was age 55!)

Socialized medicine societies significantly limit access to specialized care. This new born child would not be treated in a socialized medicine socieity. They would let these types of "sick infants" die. You also have to remember, many socialized medicine countries like Japan do not "count real live births" if the infant is say under 500 grams where in the US we do. That's why stats are so misleading.

The way Americans are wired, they won't put up with "rationing". Obama is completely lying when he says nothing will change with your healthcare. Lets see, you will pay higher premiums or taxes (that's one change), more patients, same doctor ratios means longer wait times (that's another change).

If other systems are so good, why do people of financial means fly to the US for treatment? Or lets say a very simple procedure like colonscopies. In most socialized countries like Holland, you either get zero anesthesia or a light sedative (like Versed). But everyone's tolerance level for pain is different. People are told "just to tough it out".

You realize when the President or other members of Congress gets a colonscopy she/he gets the real stuff (yes propofol (michael jackson's drug of choice with the anesthesiologist ) that get you in a deeper sleep without size affects of nausea or drowsiness. But your average joe/jane in the current US system can get the same propofol in today's US market.

With a single payer system, the government won't allow average joes/jane's access to the anesthesiologist because of rationing. Only those privileged would be allowed access. The joes/janes would have very little sedation or the older drugs that can cause more side effects.

Old 04-06-2010, 06:45 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,133,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneftp View Post
I don't think you realize how socialized medicine societies work. They do what's "best for the system, not the individual" I have friends who work in Canada, the UK and my aunt was a practicing physician in France (I can't believe the French government let her retire when she was age 55!)

Socialized medicine societies significantly limit access to specialized care. This new born child would not be treated in a socialized medicine socieity. They would let these types of "sick infants" die. You also have to remember, many socialized medicine countries like Japan do not "count real live births" if the infant is say under 500 grams where in the US we do. That's why stats are so misleading.

The way Americans are wired, they won't put up with "rationing". Obama is completely lying when he says nothing will change with your healthcare. Lets see, you will pay higher premiums or taxes (that's one change), more patients, same doctor ratios means longer wait times (that's another change).

If other systems are so good, why do people of financial means fly to the US for treatment? Or lets say a very simple procedure like colonscopies. In most socialized countries like Holland, you either get zero anesthesia or a light sedative (like Versed). But everyone's tolerance level for pain is different. People are told "just to tough it out".

You realize when the President or other members of Congress gets a colonscopy she/he gets the real stuff (yes propofol (michael jackson's drug of choice with the anesthesiologist ) that get you in a deeper sleep without size affects of nausea or drowsiness. But your average joe/jane in the current US system can get the same propofol in today's US market.

With a single payer system, the government won't allow average joes/jane's access to the anesthesiologist because of rationing. Only those privileged would be allowed access. The joes/janes would have very little sedation or the older drugs that can cause more side effects.

Explain to me how Healthcare reform is socialized medicine?

Quote me the section where it says the Govt' will be mandating where you go and rationing coverage.

Quote me the section where it says we will get older drugs.

You put it out there, prove it.

Those with the ability to pay get better healthcare now. If you don't believe me, go to any publicly funded county hospital and observe what happens there. Go to a public clinic and observe the standard of care. Then get back to me on quality of coverage.

And let me clue you in to a little secret: we pay for the uninsured now. Our taxes pay for them, higher costs pay for them.

Where do you think all that bad debt carried by hospitals go now? Do yu think it just >>poof<< disappears? Who do you think pays for all of those people who have no insurance who go to the emergency room for a cold? The uninsured fairy?

It's the taxpayers, bub.

Old 04-06-2010, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
This isn't about a right to lifers issues.

Isn't the right to life absolute, or is it based on ability to pay?
" right to life"

Here.....read the 14th amendment
http://topics.law.cornell.edu/constitution/amendmentxiv

Old 04-06-2010, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
Explain to me how Healthcare reform is socialized medicine?
The HealthCare bill just passed is not only not socialized medicine(yet), it first and foremost isn't reform
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies