Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 10:13 AM

533 posts, read 318,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MainelyJersey View Post
The worthless piece of paper I'm referring to is the Executive Order...rescindable at any time. With 18 years in, Stupak knows exactly how EO's work. So yes, he sold out..caved..call it whatever.

And, lunatic fringe, death threats...always been there, always inappropriate.
No, the lunatic fringe has not ALWAYS been there, not like what we're seeing now. Maybe it was this bad during the civil rights period in the 60s but it has not been as rabid as what we have seen lately in a long time.

I can't remember people being arrested for threatening members of congress before.

You THINK/BELIEVE that he sold out. That does not make it true. Keep in mind that I'm not a Stupak fan at all. I did not like what he did to hold up the HC bill. However, I do think he may be concerned about his safety and the safety of his family if he does stay in politics because of the very type of thing you are saying....."he sold out"........where is that lunatic, mentally unstable, person out there who thinks they should avenge the unborn from a politician who "sold out"? I'd have to say that Internet activists certainly seem to be throwing out enough bait for that type of person to latch onto.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2010, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Stupak received worse from democrats, they made his life a "living hell" when he was holding on to his values and voting "no" to the HC bill. But then a partisan hack would ignore all that, and buy into the democrat spin.

This is not just about Stupak, their are a plethora of democrats who were bought, bribed, or whatever you want to call it, to suddenly change their vote to a "yes" and announced they are no longer going to run for reelection.

Something is going on, I've never seen such outright bribes, special interest exclusions, threats and perks being thrown around before. I'm only showing a sensible level of concern; I'm not the one drowning in Kool-aid.
"Democrats made his life a living hell".....Really? Please, I'd like to see the evidence. If there is evidence of such things, then maybe I'd reconsider my position. You got ANYTHING at all to even slightly back up your opinion that the Democrats made his life a living hell, please, please post it. I want to see it.

Also, that's a pretty strong statement "a plethora of democrats who were bought, bribed, or whatever"........evidence please. Please show us what the bribes were and how those bribes resulted in a yes vote.......show us what the payoffs were, when they were given, and did they survive the vote on the HC bill.

Or are all these allegations just gossip which has been floating in opinion pieces by the far right wing bloggers?

Old 04-09-2010, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
What is the point of the nation being saddled with the bad bill that the Health Insurance Reform bill ("law") when he could have caused it to be made into something reasonable that wouldn't have been aimed at a government takeover of healthcare. He could have been a hero and he chose to go along with Pelosi. I feel for him but he is getting about what he earned.
The subject of this thread is Stupak resigning, NOT changes which could have been made in the HC reform bill. Please try to stay on topic.

Old 04-09-2010, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
Libs shouldnt be too worried about old Bart. He will end up with some great job making insane money when the dust settles.

I am sure that was part of the deal he made with the Chicago mad man.
You are "sure"? How are you "sure"? Please, share with us your inside knowledge about any "deal" stupak made with whoever the "Chicago mad man" is.

The above post is nothing at all but imagination, an overactive imagination, working overtime. You are "sure" apparently because it doesn't take more than gossip on the Internet to win you over......if that's not true, again, please post why/how you are so "sure" that a great job making insane money was part of any deal.

Again, I see the same pattern. Some folks seem to worship money so much that they project their own weaknesses onto to other people as well as politicians when thinking about why someone would do something.

Old 04-09-2010, 10:29 AM

37,981 posts, read 22,157,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HummerLuvr View Post
So those statements are your BELIEF and your conclusions based on those "Beliefs".......how about stating that those things are your opinion/belief and NOT fact?

You scenario about politicians being in elected positions for "more than two terms" then after working with the Obama Admin for one year, go back on those deeply held values and principles ...Can you provide any examples of politicians who went back on deeply held values and principles.......what deeply held values and principles specifically for each politician you give as an example....and how did they "go back" on those "deeply held values and principles"?

Other than stupak, can you name anyone who seems to have betrayed their principles and values because of pressure from Obama Admin?

If you can give specific examples of politicians who have done the things you allege, then we can talk. Otherwise, it's just your opinion and belief, and the conclusions you have drawn based on your Opinions/Beliefs. No facts involved as far as I can tell.
Bayh, 54, said his passion for helping people is "not highly valued in Congress." He said he did not love the institution in which his father, Birch Bayh, had also represented Indiana.

"There's just too much brain-dead partisanship," Bayh said in a nationally broadcast interview Tuesday. He said the public will continue to harbor hostile feelings toward Congress "until we change this town." He also said that "the extremes of both parties have to be willing to accept compromises."

Bayh cites strident partisanship in leaving Senate | KOMO News - Breaking News, Sports, Traffic and Weather - Seattle, Washington | National & World News

This type of stuff is occupying under 0bama's watch, he is the leader of the party, he has been front and center pushing his agenda and allowing the bitter partisanship, the bribes, the kickbacks, and allowing his party politicians to "act stupidly".

So draw your own conclusions as to how much 0bama is to blame for any of this.

I'm pretty sure that once again, the spin will be that 0bama is a complete witless boob, unable to lead his party, unable to control the actions of the politicians in his own party, and pretty much an incompetent and unaccomplished imbecile, who is totally accountable for anything that goes on around him. Am I getting warm?

Old 04-09-2010, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
Tough on Bart Stupak.

It's his fault for creating the situation, leading the nation on for weeks and weeks, then folding at the last moment. Stupak didn't have to create this mess. If he was a truly conscientious man he would not have let everything get out of control. He acted like a the moral arbiter of the Democratic party, holding their feet to the pro-life fires, then folded like a cheap suit. Democrats are now firmly the abortion party.

Bart Stupak created this situation and now he has to deal with the consequences of his decision. Tough on him.
And WHAT are the consequences? That he receives hate mail, obscene phone calls, and veiled threats?

As I said, I'm not a fan of Stupak, however, I think he is wise to resign given the volitile political environment of today. Anyone with half a brain can look at the dr. Tiller case and see what anti-choice folks are capable of doing.

Old 04-09-2010, 10:30 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
The executive order was need to satisify the PARANOID, overly zealous anti-choice crowd. There was no provision in the bill which allowed for federal funding of abortion.
There is an amendment that prohibits federal funding of abortions.
It was never made into law and must be attached to spending bills.

It was NOT attached to the HC bill. The EO was done instead.

It's called the Hyde Amendment.

Hyde Amendment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"The Stupakā€“Pitts Amendment, an amendment to the Affordable Health Care for America Act, was introduced by Democratic Rep. Bart Stupak of Michigan. It prohibits use of Federal funds "to pay for any abortion or to cover any part of the costs of any health plan that includes coverage of abortion" except in cases of rape, incest or danger to the life of the mother, and was included in the bill as passed by the House of Representatives on November 7, 2009. However, the Senate bill passed by the House on March 21, 2010 did not contain that Hyde Amendment language. As part of an agreement between Rep. Stupak and President Obama to secure Stupak's vote, the President issued an executive order on March 24, 2010 affirming that the Hyde Amendment would extend to the new bill."

Old 04-09-2010, 10:31 AM

3,175 posts, read 3,656,208 times
Quote:
No, the lunatic fringe has not ALWAYS been there, not like what we're seeing now. Maybe it was this bad during the civil rights period in the 60s but it has not been as rabid as what we have seen lately in a long time.

I can't remember people being arrested for threatening members of congress before.

You THINK/BELIEVE that he sold out. That does not make it true. Keep in mind that I'm not a Stupak fan at all. I did not like what he did to hold up the HC bill. However, I do think he may be concerned about his safety and the safety of his family if he does stay in politics because of the very type of thing you are saying....."he sold out"........where is that lunatic, mentally unstable, person out there who thinks they should avenge the unborn from a politician who "sold out"? I'd have to say that Internet activists certainly seem to be throwing out enough bait for that type of person to latch onto.
In Chicago, they tell you to how to vote. Then they watch which side you go to WHEN you vote.
If they don't like how you voted?
You don't get a garbage can.
The alley will be filled with nice new garbage cans but not behind your building.
If you work in a restaurant where they come in?
You don't get a tip, even though they laid 5 bucks on the table before you voted.
Stupak got his garbage can and now can't live with himself.

Old 04-09-2010, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Progs didn't manage to see the DNC threaten to not give a penny to those who voted their minds and even try to keep them from winning nomination. Somehow they think that most Democrats agree with them and it just isn't true.
What ARE YOU babbling about? The DNC threaten to not give a penny to thosewho voted their minds?

Again, "Somehow"......what does that mean?

Old 04-09-2010, 10:33 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,942,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
I think that is call an opinion.

IMO, Bart should leave NOW!!!!!
Your roots are showing...the mean ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies